your first job

I guess military service at 18. Worked as a driver for most of the time...

Payed roughly 2€/h in the first 3 months and 3€/h in the remaining 6....

Great, so now when I see those things I gotta wonder if some kind of transvestite perv is in the costume!

So basically, your first job was as a cross-dresser. I bet Guiliani got his start that way.

Spoiler :
I jest :)

Nah, I never got to wear the female koala suit because this awesome crazy Gulf War vet figured out the "people don't mess with the girls" thing and insisted he get that costume.

I'm reluctant to ask (fearing bizarre things), but what do you mean by 'messed with'? What do people do to these costumed people (I can't imagine why). I don't like clowns and I don't like costumes... I don't go near that crap, so I've no idea.

Nothing too weird, just low level annoyance from jerks. A little shoving and occasionally hitting the head trying to make it fall off.

Paid work? Summer jobs at a local aquaculture facility, starting when I was about 14. It was okay, there was a fair amount of hard physical labour and some tasks that many would find rather disgusting, but most of the time we were working out in the open and as it was summer the weather was usually decent.

Anyway, I was already used to turning in a day's work at the family farm, long before then. Which also involved hard physical labour and so on. I have no fear of getting my hands dirty, and no disrespect for those who do it on a permanent basis, but it certainly helped me determine to get an education so I wouldn't have to do that sort of thing every damn day for the next fifty years.

Was a warehouse, and I made like $6/hour back in 1991.

I'm getting a job in the near future. Probably on the day I leave school, I'll go hunting for work. I can't sit around for three months doing nothing. :p I'll probably work in the local supermarket or some other shop, and getting the minimum wage. :cool:

Mowed lawns at 12.
Washed dishes in pizza place at 14.

I stared delivering newspapers at about age 10. Then in High School, I worked in the school laundry (mostly gym towels, sometimes team uniforms), at minimum wage: $1 / hr.

In college, I did janitorial work as part of my work-study package. Then I enlisted....

I'm getting a job in the near future. Probably on the day I leave school, I'll go hunting for work. I can't sit around for three months doing nothing. :p I'll probably work in the local supermarket or some other shop, and getting the minimum wage. :cool:
It never hurts to go looking a few weeks before that as everyone has the same idea.

Working a hard job for a pittance might build character but having money and decent hours is nice as well.

True dat.

But from what I've seen, the local supermarket hardly seems like back-breaking, extreme intensive work. Every Saturday working and the rest of the week studying (bar Sunday: nobody takes my sabboth!) sound mighty fine to me.

Worked for a couple weeks at a tee-shirt screen printing company. Washed the screens (stuff the design and ink goes on) and swept. I still have all these nasty scars on my knuckles... But for $10 an hour, it was worth it.

My first paying job was working as a factory grunt. I worked in a factory that made bullet-resistant glass and storm windows. Typically I help run giant sheets of plastic through a saw -- the plastic (or "poly" as we called it, short for polycarbonate) is inserted between layers of glass. When we didn't have work I was typically send to help run glass through machines to be tempered, helped pack crates with finished glass, helped wrap pieces of product to go into these ovens, and helped the crew that cut out glass pieces from giant panes of glass.

I would wake up at four am and work until sometime in the early afternoon -- usually until 2:30. I once stood in the same place all day putting glass onto a cart -- watching the sun rise and then begin to set. Sometimes miserable work, but it gave me an appreciation for what real work was and changed my politics.

I worked a summer with a tree cutting company owned by a family friend. I put limbs in the chipper for $10/hr. It was scary and hard, but I saved up for my new PC and was happy.

First job was delivering newspapers when I was twelve, think it was a 3 cents for daily and a seven cents for Sunday papers....cleared a cool $15 a week and won a hand warmer in a sales contest. My first minimum wage job was at a convenience store at $1.65 hour.

When I was 16 I worked at a hardware store for 10 Mark/Hour (I think 10 Mark was about 6 US$ at that time), 10 hours per week.

I've never had a "job" in the classic sense of the word and I don't think I ever will do.
Being an artist, I'm either a "freelancer" kind or I organize stuff myself.

First full-time job I had was working the go-karts at a small amusement place. Pretty relaxing, there were a lot of slow times, when I'd drive a golf cart around to pick up golf balls, tinker with the go-karts, or I could just play arcade games, play pool, drive golf balls, etc.

Also refereed soccer games, which I enjoyed, and which paid better.

one-speaker stereo

That would be a mono.

Usher at a local independent theater (They had ushers for the christmas shows... classy.) Seasonal, only lasted three weekends in December. It was fun and you got to watch the show from the back of the theater.

Top Bottom