1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your first jobs.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by theskald, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Narz

Narz keeping it real

You sure got the better of them! :D

2. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

My first job was an internship at a Consulting company, when I was 20. As an intern I did mostly boring research. Then I quit and became an intern in the corporation where today I am an engineer, in the steel business.

3. Mowque

Mowque Hypermodernist

Nothing like theft.

4. scherbchen

scherbchen well that can´t be good

selling (folding, really) designer clothes for 10 DM an hour. 250k town with 50k university students....

5. ParangBoi

ParangBoi Chieftain

:lol: Awesome.

First paid job was being in ballet productions as an extra or as crew. They did Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Madam Butterfly etc etc. :dance:
    Pay was minimum, but experience was fantastic.

6. QuoVadisNation

QuoVadisNation keeping your angel alive

Nah, theft without getting caught is who you know business. Drug dealing in non-gang ridden towns is where it's at.

7. Icekommander

Icekommander Colonel

ARing (Thats Assistant Referreing) for local Soccer (Football) games. I get to run up and down the line for an hour and a half waving a flag for 25$. The only real problem is you can't really do more than a game or two a day. Tournaments are big though, as often games are shortened to an hour and you can easily do 12 games over the weekend. (In the last big one around here I did exactly that, earning myself 275$. However after all that standing your feet hurt)

8. Integral

Integral Can't you hear it?

My first job was tutoring in high school. I taught sophomores and juniors underhanded tactics test-taking strategies to raise their scores on the SAT and ACT; did it for a fraction of the cost of the test-prep companies.

9. CityOfAngels

CityOfAngels Chieftain

I worked at school.

10. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

I worked in a College dorm Cafeteria. Started a year ago in August.

I got it because I signed up for it when the housing application decisions came out. Said I wanted to do it, and I got it. :p

I got paid 8.35 USD an hour, 9.10 on weekends. Got a 10 cent raise for the second semester. And the reason why is that they have zero benefits. No free or cheaper food, nothing. And you had to be a student at college, not some random person off the street.

I quit, or more like didn't renew my contract, because I don't have time for it next year.

Funny story: People asking if there is meat in the hamburger soup (or meat in the vegetarian soup), whenever we have pot stickers, the line is some 30 people long just for that, I made people more ice cream when I was assigned as a sandwich maker than assigned to make ice cream, people getting locked out at the evening shifts cause the doors auto lock after 7:30 (and then everyone would sit around for 10 minutes wondering where they are), etc.

However, unofficial job (no taxes) was being an AP Chem tutor for $20 an hour while being in AP Chem. It wasn't too difficult IMO, simply help them with homework. And more recently, basically personal tutor for someone for $10 an hour. But I worked like an hour or two a day, every day. So it adds up very quickly.

11. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

This was still my first job:
    In case anyone's interested, my second job was as a Pricing Analyst, and then I got promoted in that job although my job title is still Pricing Analyst... I'd say that I did about 10 hours a week of real, actual work, on average, but I spread this out enough that my bosses are happy.

12. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

First job was as a clerk at a bank, made about $3000 per month

that last sentence sounds supiciously familiar. No where might I have heard it before? :mischief:

13. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

My first job is my current job. Waiter/kitchen-hand/person-who-does-all-but-cook at a restaurant.

14. Irish Caesar

Irish Caesar Yellow Jacket

Mise-

Is it common in England to not have a job through high school and university?

15. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I think a lot of people have jobs during either school or university, probably most people have had jobs at some point during their education years. I'm pretty sure I was in the minority in only getting a job after graduating from university.

16. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

This bothers me to no end. I wish I was allowed to just come in on Monday and Tuesday, do all my work for the week at a leisurely pace, and stay home until the next Monday.

17. Volum

Volum The Zapper

2 years being the only guy in an office surrounded with women of every age.

I now know that men have it much easier then women, we are pigs and i also know a lot about the changes that women go trough.

Another highlight was the monthly "Who had the most painful baby delivery" lunch where they would all talk about how it was having a baby (if men had babies it would be much easier btw) and compared pain. The winner's baby's head got stuck so a big black guy had to get his hands in there and help get it out. At the same time a rookie nurse in training wanted to be nice and give her a heating bottle that she had filled with hot water. Boiling water actually that led to 2 degree burns.

It was my favorit lunch of the month!

18. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

I havent seriously worked so far, only vacational ones. My first job was working in aeromodelling workshop(?). Work wasnt fun because it wasnt qualified, but fun breaks were. I liked watching its testing.

19. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

At Oxford you're not allowed to have a job, or so my cousin tells me.

20. really

really Deity

Farming - unpaid
    School Shop - slave wage but fun
    Assistant Exam Supervisor - (sat around for hours on end outside the exam room doing nothing)
    Glass collector and washer in a pub - anti social hours but fun
    Butcher's assistant - tough physical work for low pay
    Cash office admin and checkout worker - cushy - I had my own office
    Shop worker - easy
    Accountant - a non stop roller coaster of fun.