Your ideas for the next update!

W.i.n.t.e.r

Frozen!
Features, tweaks, changes, you name it!
By Frogboy
Posted March 8, 2007 23:53:39

For those of you who are new to buying Stardock software, the product you purchase is just the beginning of what you get.

Stardock updates its software based on customer feedback.

In the case of Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar we are lookoing for suggestions and feature requests that players would like to see in a free update.

Mind you, these can't be massive new features (i.e. "Multiplayer" or "Fleet combat") but rather little things that you think would make the game more enjoyable for you and others.

Let us know what you'd like us to do. We are at your disposal!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------
LeviathanHull Type -Admiral's Command Ship-
A new one-of-a-type, larger than HUGE ship hull size that will display larger than Huge shis on the map and battle viewer.

-Only 1 of these can be in operation in any civilization's Navy at a time
-Before you can build another one the prior one needs to have been destroyed or decommissioned

Custom Jewelry Signs for Shipbuilder
I am very happy DA brought along Civilization Emblems to be put on ships. Could you also add an easily modable Jewlry piece that would allow us to add our own textures to it in addition? Simple things like Squadron Markings, a Pin-Up girl, warning signs like [=DANGER=] <No Step> or a custom Logo like "Lufthansa"? It would no need to be anything fancy- just a rectangular surface to which one could attribute not logos but PNG pictures as overlay texture.

Merge Star base Types

There is no reason to have a)Economic and b)Military starbases, since both need to be upgraded with significant defensive weapon systems. Every economic starbase is hence a military installation. Why not merge both of these into one type of base. Mining bases are not affected by this change!

This is a compilation of ideas that have been lurking around:

1) "Make the newly gained planet(s) or system(s)...

- your colony" (as was so far)
- a vasall state" (i.e. pays taxes to you and assist in war, turns influence points over to you, but keeps 'home rule'- may fall off via independence movement but yields trade/tax bonus over a colony)
- an empty world" (population culled & you move on without conquering, surviving troops back in their transports (UI may ostracise+gain "evilness")
- a free power" (makes freed planet a full fletched Minor power unatached to you or anybody*

In my case one thing that I'd really love to be added would be an option to convert other civilizations into vassal states. Right now, one can either conquer a planet militarily, by influencing it and (rarely) buy it. Another related situation ocurrs when another civilization, Major or Minor surrenders to you and thus you get all the planets "overnight". This, I think, is too simple- maybe I don't even want those two crumby planets in some distant system, in a galaxy far far away... So why shouldn't one get some option that pop up once any one of the above situations sets in?

2) Minor Civs go Major

* If a Minor civ gets to own a certain number of planets/systems (random number, lets say 6 planets, or so- the most I've see so far was 5 by the Akilians) there could be a 1&#37; chance per turn that it ascends to become a Major Civ. I.e. if it holds those 6 planets for at least 100 turns it will very likely ascend.

3) Wormholes in the style of MOO2 and BotF

Add a new module to allow Wormhole Base constructors to establish a checkpoint at a wormhole and tax freighters that use it. Also, you might be given a choice as to open or close the wormhole access...

4) Invasion techniques should have an impact on one's allignement

When you colonize a planet you are often given your random good/neutral/evil set of choices that will over time define your allignement.
Now, if you however opt for the use of gas- or nuclear warfare when conquering a planet, thus killing billions of innocent populus and severely damaging life-harboring planetary surface... well you know it: Nothing happens apart from that.

-MOO2 ostricised the use of certain weapons and would increasingly make you 'evil', endanger diplomacy and trade with differently alligned races over time.
-BotF included the possibilities of A) freeing or B) conquering planets (also read entry #1).
---

This said GalcivII should really make your acutal actions have a direct impact on allignement (drop nukes vs. drop care packages) rather than keeping allignement confined to the rather limited colonization 'trick-or-treat'. This way being 'good' and/or 'evil' would have real benefits, especialy to warfare, yet also real impacts to it, while being 'neutral' would make the jack of all trades.
Let other races love or fear you for a reason...

5) Improved Planetary Invasions (by Phoenix_56721)

I would like to see planetary invasions improved to allow users to build custom armies and place them (battle plan) before the battle begins, and then be able to watch it unfold in the combat viewer! This would take a lot of work in order for the AI to use it effectively but it would be a terrific addition for an expansion pack! (Perhaps like BotF allowed to issue minor orders to fleets prior to combat. Would be an improvement for land and space battles.)

6) United Planets Quarterly Meetings

instead of Yearly for greater involvement and atmosphere

7.1) The Terror Star (by BlizzardGR)
Am i the only one who wants the Terror Star back???? Bring it back!!!

7.2) MOO2-style orbital terraforming

Having seen calls for the terror star it would be adecuate to allow constructors to be able to "glue" together solar system asteroid rings back together to form a new planet out of debris.

8) On looks on the battlefield (cosmetic):

Attacking a planet with my glorious Imperial Naval Infantry is always fun to do- after all there is usualy the will-I-make-it-or-will-it-take-another-attack? feeling to it. However, and that's a bit sad, the animations (apart from being simplistic, which is ok) show bipedal soldiers- and only such. Why aren't there any Alien looking Aliens? After all Arceans are supposed to be some sort of giant folk, Talans insectoids, and so on.

We have these great looking ships that make identifying with a particular race cozy- please add a little bit to the battlefield as well- doesnt have to be much...

9) The ability to share tiles with other friendly units... (by Neomega)

Civ IV (and Alpha Centauri)... some of the simplist things are the greatest (defend allied planets and/or strike together vs your common enemies)

10) Overlay icons and city buildings

Why must a Capital ship icon be the same than the Fleet Icon? Please give us a fleet icon so we know how big the threat is that's comming our way when we are all zoomed out.

City buildings- oh dear. It seems as if time ran out when the original game was made. Some buildings are too large, some to small- and some plain ugly- like the Political Capital (ugly and too small- feeble, really). I hope Dark Avatar will see these issues set right, as your great game well deserves.

11) Planetary Blockades

The player, the AI enemies and pirates lack one dashing feature to undertake. Planetary Blockades. So far, these are nigh to impossible- one would need a minimum of 9 vessels to fully encircle a planet to merely cut it off getting physicaly reinforced from the outside- but that's all what one can do.

In games such as Birth of the Federation the player didn't need to encircle a planet, yet by placing a fleet anywhere around the target planet's orbit, one was able to select these warships/fleets not to bombard or invade the particular planet, yet to stay on patrol in its orbit, hunting down a percentage of economic transphers of goods.

The larger the fleet on patrol, the more firepower relative to their speed (BotF featured Strategic and Tactical speed, on map and in battles respectively), the more successful a blockade would be, leaving you draining wealth from your enemies' veins- into your own...

Some people -actualy a growing lot by now- have asked for some sort of hangar module to build carriers. I won't go into detail here since I don't really know how (or if) something like that is comming our way. If possible I'd second it. My idea now is somewhat related:

12)Command Module

to be placed on large enough ships. Basicaly what this should do is to act as a moveble star base with limited range. Starbases increase one's ship's range. Now a ship equipped with this module would allow smaller craft to operate within the module's radius.

I.e. Most of your fleet cannot reach a far away enemy. So you send out a flotilla attatched to a command ship (with the mentioned command module). The command ship has a sufficient number of support modules on board. The module will make your other ships

a) be able to use the support modules on the command ship
b) even if not in the same fleet but only in the range of the module (like that blue circle effect radius of a starbase, perhaps with several upgrades to range).

Vessels lacking support systems could now operate far away from your space if supported by command vehicles. Of course, should your command vessel be destroyed your units would be sitting ducks. Perhaps a command vessel could also issue accompanying craft boni during battles- but that's a different story...

Problems: I am not sure the AI could master this.

Top Bottom