Your ideas on how to improve this site

Perhaps the Civ articles could be done in a part-wiki style -- members can add changes, but they have to be approved by a mod, mainly to prevent spam or inaccuracies.

okay, sorry, I didn't realize, I never saw an edit button or something like that.

edit: took another look. Saw a revisions link, but nothing to indicate members can edit. Maybe only special members?

I see it now. :)

I clicked on a random article to look, so that one must have been restricted.

A feature where I can view more than one forum at the same time, on the same list. Example, I don't check Sci&Tech often enough because I don't think of it, so I'd like to be able to view a list of all the threads in two (or more) forums at the same time. "Viewing forums OT & ST", and they just all get lumped together, sorted the same way they're sorted in a single forum. I don't know if this is even possible with the forum software, but it would be awesome.

A(n optional) bigger smiley bank on the side of the new-post box. Or a customizable smiley bank, that would be totally awesome. It's a pain to plod through the popup to find that weird smiley you don't remember the name of.

A small "notepad" where a user can keep snips of threads and so forth. Sometimes I write up most of a post at home, then want to finish it when I get to work. I have to either PM or email it to myself which clutters up my inbox, or I have to put it on a jump drive which I don't always have on me. A "save draft" feature would be similar, also good, but not as good, I'd rather have something where I can jot down whatever I need to jot down. This could be limited to the size of a PM or two so as not to drain server resources.

The ability to customize the colors and other simple stuff in a plain skin. I imagine it's all in CSS, it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to let users keep their own custom skin file and tweak it as they see fit. It would drain a bit of server resource, I guess, but I think most people wouldn't use it anyway, so it wouldn't add up to too much. Or we could host the files ourselves. It would be really great to be able to just make this blue a little darker, or lighten up that quotebox background, that sort of thing.

We should be able to post youtube videos. That would be awesome.

I disagree. Strongly. YouTube videos tend to dumb down a discussion, IMO. When there're only two or a few, the links are sufficient.

Is there a way to reduce the time between reporting posts? I sometimes see a lot of spammys in a board and I have to wait a while between reporting.

Is there a way to reduce the time between reporting posts? I sometimes see a lot of spammys in a board and I have to wait a while between reporting.
I just report a single post and say that the post is in multiple threads in the same forum.

It would be nice if the mods would respond faster to reported posts though. It's been a while and the ads are still there.

A way to hide threads in the forum listings. That way I could reduce OT to my 10 favorite threads and not see any others. Or I would not have to see political threads if I choose not to.

A way to hide threads in the forum listings. That way I could reduce OT to my 10 favorite threads and not see any others. Or I would not have to see political threads if I choose not to.

Firefox, greasemonkey, and this.

You can just subscribe to your ten favourite threads and then not view OT at all.

I like the "similar threads" concept now implemented. At first, I thought how long has that been there and why hadn't I noticed it before? But then I saw the notice at forum's top. Good change!

On another vBulletin board, when they had the annoucements at the top of the main page (e.g. like the one about the server upgrade), there was an x beside it, which you could click to remove it when you were done reading. However, that site had about 5x the amount of annoucements. What do you all think of it?

That would be cool if we could get the announcements in the UserCP, and could shut them off like this.

Well, I rarely go into the UserCP, but it could work. :)

I suspect that anouncement are more effective when they are posted where they might get a reading, which is to say, in the forums.

Why not both? ;)

I rarely look at the top of a forum page....and I've become blind to the announcements. If I were to see it in my UserCP, which is where I usually am when not viewing a thread, it would be more obvious to me. And then, like aimee said, turn it off when I've read it...that would be cool.

I rarely if ever use my usercp so having the announcements both places would be good. Don't take them off of the main forum page though. (and an xing out of the announcement after reading would be cool too but it doesn't bother me too much)

Top Bottom