1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your military experience?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Speedo, Oct 4, 2003.

?

Your military experience?

1. I am a veteran

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. Currently active duty/reserves/national guard

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Planning to join

16 vote(s)
    20.3%
  4. Never been in and no plans to

29 vote(s)
    36.7%
  5. No way in hell would you get me in there!

15 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. MarineCorps

MarineCorps Explosion!

I find that very hard to belive.:confused: :(
    No military service yet but once out of high school I'm joining the military. Guess what branch.:D :lol:

2. willemvanoranje

willemvanoranje Curitibano

In Holland they don't draft anymore, and the German Defence Ministry must be pretty damn sick to draft one of their citizens in a foreign country. :p I'll join the militia when we're invaded. ;)

3. Smaasnekje

Smaasnekje Should be medicated...

but hoping to get in to the Navy during my year of obligatory militaryservice

4. G-Man

G-Man A One Man's War

I will join, next year. Hopefully to intelligence.

5. Sh3kel

Sh3kel Emperor

2 years civil guard (Police), enlisting to the IDF in exactly two weeks.

6. G-Man

G-Man A One Man's War

Where are you going to in the army?

7. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Deity

I have a hilarious story on that same idea. A few years ago my brother and mother visited Poland to attend a wedding. Turns out the defense ministry had consciption papers waiting for him and myself, but we left when we were 3 and are now both naturalized american citizens. We had to hurry and send over his paperwork so that my tubby brother wouldn't get picked up.

8. Sh3kel

Sh3kel Emperor

They'll me when I enlist. Katzin Miun.

9. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

In the middle of a 6-week intro course to JROTC.

Can't wait until it drops and I get a free. The military is not for me, I knew this before the intro course, now I'm certain of it.

10. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

@Speedo:

Doing some poster research?

11. PantheraTigris2

PantheraTigris2 Deity

Not the Corps. Certain individuals. In another place, with different people - things might have been much better. But, I'm not looking back.

Btw, fellow Teufelhund, as I mentioned before - I'm working for the Army now (for the time being), and it's even worse* than I could have imagined, in comparison to the Marines. Let me just say - the contrast is much greater than I ever expected. In what areas? Name it. Bascially what I'm getting at, is how we were always told we were 'better' (for lack of more specific words) than the Army, well... trust me when I say that there is a damn, DAMN good reason for it! After seeing what I've seen, if I was an enemy commander, I would rather fight against five, maybe even ten, Army divisions, than one Marine division.

The Army does have it's brighter points. But, you wanna talk about dime a dozen.... man... you'd have to see it. The USMC is like a whole different planet.

*Professionalism, discipline, taking job seriously, morale, job proficiency, work ethic, respect for rank, toughness/desire to fight/kill, military bearing, comradery, intimidation factor (Soldiers just aren't nearly as intimidating - hard to explain), integrity, etc.

I.e, - in the Marines, you KNOW you're surrounded by a bunch of highly motivated, semi-psycho, can't-wait-to-kill, pray-for-war-everyday, never-say-die, show the enemy what hell is all about, devildogs - and so on. "Army of One" - it's more than just ironic. Just put an 's' on the end of it, and that's what it is. A bunch of individuals. Granted there are exceptions. The Rangers, for example. But even still - it's a different flavor over here, completely. The aura, the atmosphere, is totally different. Their minds are just not trained like ours were.

It's hard to explain. I just can't help but get this feeling - that in war, this bunch just wouldn't do nearly as well, at all. But, there's so many of them, it doesn't matter.

Everything that is said about the Marines, in comparison to the Army - is deserved. I see that now!

But, it's all out of my system now - I'm content to be a civilian. Anyway...

Oh yes! And you'll get this joke... (and it's true!)... I have received more medals in 2 years working as a civilian for the Army, than I did 4 years active duty in the Marines! (granted, all the various Operations since 9/11 had something to do with that...)

12. Falcon02

Falcon02 General

Where's the "always toyed with the idea but never concluded one way or the other" option?

I must say if I did join it would likely be in the Air Force National Guard or Reserves(though I think some time full time active is required for that, except for ROTC). However, most of my plans now are working with the Contractor side of the Military, building the stuff for the guys to fight with.

13. Cunobelin

Cunobelin I aint no hippo

15 months in the reserves. Joining the regulars in a couple of weeks.

14. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Never, and denied military service when they asked me. :p

So last option... ;)

15. SSG Paul

SSG Paul Warlord

Vet. 11 years in US Army, Military Intelligence, 89-00. Some good times, some bad, alot of time away from family.
    Now I'm awaiting the MI jokes.

16. G-Force Junkie

G-Force Junkie Old Vulcan Guy

I'm planning on going to the Naval Academy and then going on to flight school. I've wanted to fly fighters since I was 4 and an admiral since I was 12. Eventually I'd have to go from flight to bridge command to get to admiral, but I can live with that anyway.

17. HighlandWarrior

HighlandWarrior Mr Political Analyser

usmc bootcamp in january 2004.

@falcon02, you can join the marine corps, army and national guard reserces without being active duty previously. Not sure about the navy & air force.

edit: @ tigris2, how the _blank_ does a civilian get a medal?

18. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

In the US, medals are given out like the gold star stickers you were given in Kindergarten.

I know some people who are in the air-force. I live not far from a RAAF airbase, and live in an area with a high concentration of military peoples. I must say that somehow it is one of those things that look painful and greulling on the outside, but look closer and it isn't all that bad. I could join, but I most probably would be terrible at active combat roles. I just dont have the ultra-fast reactions.

19. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Deity

Yeah I think it's stupid too. In the AF if you don't get some sort of ********-ass Achievement Medal on each stationing then there's something wrong with you. Also, people of higher rank get higher medals awarded for doing the "same" work. I once heard of a problem officer that was awarded a medal 1 grade lower than was normal because she was just an absolute pain to work with. So her CO gave her a lower medal than her rank entitled her to so that she'd look bad because he couldn't not give her one. I once knew a Cpl in the army that wore 9 medals, 9! GRanted most were achievement medals, campaign and service ones, like the service ribbon they give you when you complete boot camp.

Looking back on it, whenever I watch WW2 films, the Allied generals all have a lot of fruit salad(ribbons) on their chests, but the germans have maybe 1-3 in just one row and that is all. Could someone explain that?

20. h4ppy

h4ppy You sir, pineapple?

I watch the news occasionally, is that considered military experiance? Other than that I have never been in the millitary and don't plan to. I hate hard labor.