1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your mistakes when you first started playing Civ3

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by WildFire, Apr 21, 2003.

1. WildFire

WildFire amour

Well? What were some of the mistakes you made when you first got civ3 that might of been so stupid, that you look back now and realize that you had been so stupid to make a problem.

My mistakes when I started playing a year ago was that I drafted, and drafted and drafted ;) I than wondered why my people hated me ;) Another common mistake was that I was always at war with the AI because I wouldnt give them the "tribute" even though they were sometimes doubled the size of my empire.

And my most common mistake way back when, going from despotism to democracy without going to republic or monarchy in between :crazyeye:

2. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

3. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

I defended all my cities with spearmen all the way through the ages. I never upgradet them, and i never build more than one in each city.

4. cromagnon

cromagnon Emperor

I chopped the same forests over and over and over and over again, not realizing that only the first time do you get 10 shields.

I didn't trade enough, either.

5. Greyhawk1

Greyhawk1 King

I built roads to link cities. Thats all I built them for, it was a while before I stopped saying "stupid AI" for building roads on every tile and went "oh....so thats why they build them in every tile!"

One day, I will read the manual first.

6. cromagnon

cromagnon Emperor

Yes, but in this case, it won't help.

7. WildFire

WildFire amour

Ah, the memories!

I did that a lot. ;)

8. cwood

cwood Chieftain

asttacking to soon that then causes me to die sooner

9. Grille

Grille panel insect

dito.
    Furthermore, in the first game of civ3 I've ever played, I was assuming that the city radius was no longer the fat 'X', but defined by the border expansions (similar to CTP2). I simply misinterpreted the culture issue, I just took a look here and there in the manual (Now IMO however, not that bad). I figured a 4-tile radius for each city should be reasonable: All my cities were very far away from capitol, imagine the high corruption and waste! :lol:
    Not to mention that Zulu settlers were grabbing some spaces inbetween after a while... Then I noticed that capitol's citizens wouldn't work on a tile outside of the fat 'X' - d'oh! BTW, I was playing France then, because "industrious workers complete their tasks faster". What's an industrious worker? I thought worker=citizen... -> city imps get completed faster... :lol:
    Some games later, I detected the "lumberjack exploit" (it worked in v1.07). I tried to build FP in a one-shield-city by *chopping down/re-foresting* with a large amount of workers... it took me some centuries to realize I was wrong... again... d'oh! (because I had already noticed that Palace cost increased with larger number of cities -> I believed in a similar increase for the FP).
    Oh well, the ROP-rape thing... having not signed a ROP, but why did my rep get bad by declaring war? :lol:

10. bladester

bladester Warlord

My worst mistake was building mines and irrigation everywhere, even outside the city radius' :lol:

11. Grille

Grille panel insect

I had a *protection* to do this in civ3, although I was wrong about the range of the radius in my first civ3 game (realized mistake early as capitol's border expanded). The protection to build tile improvements *everywhere* came from "testings"/conclusions of my very first civ1 game... :lol:

12. Renata

Renata homicidal jungle cat GOTM Staff

Marching into an enemy civ's territory with my stack of doom and declaring war when they told me to get out --- then wondering later why everyone hated me.

Building the UN (because it was there) and opting for the vote (to find out what it did) when everybody hated me (see above).

Never using the lux or science sliders.

Nuking my own city.

Renata

13. BillChin

BillChin Prince

Proper timing of granaries and judicious use of the luxury slider have improved my game by leaps and bounds. There was a time I thought granaries were a waste of shields and did not even think of using the luxury slider (preferring garrisons to keep citizens happy).
    + Bill

14. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Not reading through the War Academy! :crazyeye:

15. Zi-yu

Zi-yu Chieftain

Trying to build the ancient wonders, and having to waste all those shields when the AI builds the wonder first and I didn't plan on having anything to switch to.

16. BigDork

BigDork Chieftain

Hi everybody...

I'd have to say my biggest mistakes had to do with diplomacy. I'd abuse RoP after RoP. Raze everything in site. Make demands all the time. Get everyone into a war against an enemy and then instantly make peace. Yep, everyone hated my guts. And I couldn't figure out why no one wanted to make agreements with me.

BigD

17. sealman

sealman Hater of Babylonians

You big dork. :p
    Sorry, just had to do it.;)

18. BigDork

BigDork Chieftain

:D You know, you are the first to actually say that. I've been waiting for a while.

BigD

19. sealman

sealman Hater of Babylonians

well you only have 13 posts so not too many opportunities yet. BTW, welcome to CFC.

on topic: but one of my biggest booboos, was leaving the city with the UN under-defended. AI came barreling across my territory took the city, brought in reinforcements to stop counterattacks, held the UN vote, and won the game.

Brilliantly done. :(

20. Siegmund

Siegmund King

I came straight from Civ1 to Civ3 without ever playing Civ2... so I had a few slightly outdated habits when I started.

So I followed my old favourite research paths: first alphabet/masonry/mathematics, then the religious path. Why? So I could build those super-powerful catapults, and get my favourite wonder, Bach's Cathedral.

So, I build a half dozen catapults, go to my nearest neighbor, and prepare to blow him away and ... oops! They aren't exactly the incredible killing machines (6/1/1) they were in Civ1-- all they did was take away one hit point from my neighbor, then get captured.

Next game I didn't make that mistake again, and I settled for warriors and spearmen while I researched religion. Finished Polytheism... no Bach! Okay, Monotheism... what, what do you mean, I have to finish ALL the Ancient Age techs before I can start Monotheism? Finished Montheism.. still no Bach! What the heck is the problem? I got mad enough to look it up. Music Theory? MUSIC THEORY? I have to still do THREE more techs to get Bach?

Bach is once again one of my favourite wonders - but it took me quite a while to figure out how to do well enough in techs to be able to consistently get it.