Your mistakes when you first started playing Civ3

I once nuked a civ which was much more powerful than myself. I got 6 nukes the next turn! Ouch!! I think I gave up after that...

I also tried the catapults. They were cool in Civ2, but I got one on a hill next to a city, and...how do you attack?...WHAT? NON-ATTACK UNIT? Well how do I attack then?...Bombard??..Well that sounds good!!...*Bombarding city*...Hmm.

Then I wondered why it wasn't destroying the barb's boats!

Originally posted by sealman
well you only have 13 posts so not too many opportunities yet. BTW, welcome to CFC.

Well I've been over at 'poly for a while now and no one's said anything over there either.

Another thing I was awful at was my early game. I'd only have 3 or 4 cities and the AI would have over 10.:eek: I always figured I needed stuff like temple, barracks, library, etc. instead of kicking out some settlers and expanding early to grab as much land as I could.

BigD

In one of my first games, I received a tribute demand from the Romans (incidentally, also the cause of my first post here). My mistake was not taking them seriously. The Romans captured 5 of my cities :eek: I have by now learned to not let pride get in the way of rational decisionmaking (in Civ3 at least :D )
I'm afraid I probably didn't play out that game :blush:

Originally posted by BigDork

Another thing I was awful at was my early game. I'd only have 3 or 4 cities and the AI would have over 10.:eek: I always figured I needed stuff like temple, barracks, library, etc. instead of kicking out some settlers and expanding early to grab as much land as I could.

BigD
That's normal for me on Emperor level! :lol:

Originally posted by cromagnon

That's normal for me on Emperor level! :lol:

Yeah, but I'm talking chieftain here. But I learned fast. It helped finding some of the fan sites where you could get some good strategy tips. Now I'm on my way to monarch.

BigD

Terrian... I didn't know what was the best tiles to irragate or which tiles where best to place my cities.... Once I learned that though.... I moved up about 2 levels :)

In my first game(I had never played civ1 or 2 before)I only built 6 cities the entire game. Since this was a cheftain level game, it would normally be so easy, but I was stilling using Archers as my main attack force in 1000 A.D. About 100 years later I got gunpowder. I though he this should rape all the comps, becuase I have guns(Science comparison:Me;Gunpowder AI's:Steam Power(at least). So I built 12 of them and attacked Greece.(The most powerful) and got wasted.

Also half my empire was in a giant desert

Originally posted by SuperBeaverInc.
Also half my empire was in a giant desert
:hmm:
Not your fault, I would think. Unless you didn't care for triangles at all or had a bad habit of planting mushrooms in clusters. :mischief:

I thought trading was useless, now I know better....
I irrigated grasslands in despotism....
I didn't go to war before I had tanks....
I built my cities on bonus resources....
Do you really want me to go on????

During a RoP agreement, i would move my units into the AI's territory, set them up outside their cities, after 20 turns cancel the agreement, and then declare war on them. I did this not knowing you still got the reputation hit :( --- i only stopped around 2 weeks ago.

Also, on my first ever game i build at least 15 catapults, charged, attacked, and realised they could only bombard-after about 10 mins of thinking. I was then slaughtered.

I built one (1) spearman in my major producing city and never upgraded it. Didn't take long for the German cavalry swarm to take over that city.

I once took the Romans seriously, and accepted their offer to give them tribute. They were a puny civ, I shouldn't have done it. I don't understand why they tried, for all they knew, I may have declared war on them!!

In my first game I played, I built the FP... in my capital! I was such a noob back then.

-Thinking the game was too easy after playing 30 incomplete games on chieftman not knowing there are other levels.

-Thinking mines = gold mines = more money and mining every single square of my empiring and wondering why my people are starving...

-not knowing that you needed 3 population to build settlers and 2 population to build workers. I ended up money rushing a settler on another continent surrounded by enemies.

-Wondering why I couldn't build spearmen in modern age...

-Thinking like the real world that I can dominate the world with the best air power... then I found out that planes in the game don't go across ocean... learning of aircraft carriers

-Didn't save my games...

-Not knowing this site existed

-Selling civ 3 for $20 because I thought it sucked only to buy a new one again after learning how the game worked

I did not think this was possible.

It may have been right next to my capital, then. It was awhile since I played that first game, all I remember when it was in a place that did not benefit from it.

Orbit, that's not such a 'noob' move. Some people build their FP close to the capital, and then build the Palace (usually with a leader) in a more distant location to get the maximum benefit.

The advantage of doing this is that more often than not, your capital is near the coast, and you are wasting some potential benefit to the sea. Putting the FP more inland, and then putting the Palace even further inland is a nice way of getting around this.

Originally posted by Siegmund
So, I build a half dozen catapults, go to my nearest neighbor, and prepare to blow him away and ... oops! They aren't exactly the incredible killing machines (6/1/1) they were in Civ1-- all they did was take away one hit point from my neighbor, then get captured.

Hahaha, you too 'eh.

Top Bottom