Your most memorable decision in a Civ game

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by CivCube, Oct 16, 2010.

1. CivCube

CivCube Feelin' defiant.

A simple question. Out of any Civ game, at what point did you have to make a really complex, nuanced, memorable decision with important consequences for the rest of the game?

No sarcastic replies please. Just curious.

2. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

Why don't you start off by telling us yours?

3. Slinko

Slinko Chieftain

Civ4: deciding when to stop all research and focus only on buying and building units.

4. Olaf_The_Great

Olaf_The_Great Omnicidal Oligarch

Preventing my capital city from being DOW'd and sacked in one turn by moving an easily capturable worker one square away from the capita, so the last unit, instead of finishing off my last defender attacked my worker

5. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

Thinking Civ V was going to have a decent AI.

Rat

6. Lord Monkey

Lord Monkey Chieftain

Really the only game-long consequences I've had are from building cities in stupid places. Everything else can get smoothed over with the proper application of hulk-smash.

7. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

8. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Please answer the question asked (with at least some seriousness that is related to actual gameplay) or don't post at all please. :)

9. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Founding a city next to Alexander on turn 301 to gain access to coal, led to permanent war the rest of the game

10. Centurio

Centurio Warlord

One time in the modern era, I was the at odds with Byzantium as the Romans. Justinian declared war on me and invaded, but after a huge offensive failure, I took the fight all the way from the equator to the south pole with my Korean allies...

11. Ex-Cop

Ex-Cop Warlord

Uninstalling Civ V and STEAM

12. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

Gee, there are a lot of people on the forums lately who are only here to cry about CiV.

My favorite moment actually occurred in my least favorite Civ game: in Civilization III, the world had divided itself into a series of alliances; myself and the English and Greeks versus the Germans and Russians, who were both powerful enough that we other three combined were still weaker than them. Eventually the inevitable happened and Germany and Russia went to war with England. I had no real military to speak of because I was alone on my continent at this point, so I probably could have just raced my way to victory while the others were occupied; but I decided to be true to my allies, and so I drafted a bunch of infantry and buiilt transports and shipped them over to help defend England. It was the most epic world war in all my time playing Civ games, and I ended up conquering all of Germany and Russia in the end.

13. Cristoval

Cristoval Warlord

Whether or not to betray Justinian who was the world super power for hundreds of years, he was 600 points ahead of me, and his power(army) was off the charts literally. I saw 5 of his cities were weakly defended, and the units defending them were not far too advanced as I had thought, so I built up 5 different stacks to raid each city. I had to take advantage of this opportunity now before he becomes unbeatable with guns.

After the build up, Me and my vassals declare war and I raze 5 of his cities including one of his holy cities, greatly weakening him. The attack was swift, and well orchestrated. It took balls to betray a power like that. That battle turned the tide of the game and I took the lead.

14. eviltypeguy

eviltypeguy Warlord

Realising that I only needed the three horsemen of the apocalypse to defeat the AI on deity :lol:

But seriously, it was quite memorable. And then afterwards, quite disappointing :(

15. Stoney the I

Stoney the I Prince

I like the ingame switches you can make when going for a victory type. In Civ4 you can have a awesome "backup plan". Like going for a domination but growing 3 culture heavy cities in the empire core "just in case". parking an army and a nuke outside a capital "just in case they launch before me". I liked those decisions the most.

16. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

I think it was in Civ II - the first time I discovered two techs in a single turn. That was such a rush. I didn't even know it was possible.

17. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 King

Easy.

Civ 2....I was maybe 15 or 16.....

I was having a successful game as "King Cortez of the Aztecs" and it was down to three mega-powers: me, the Carthaginians and the Zulu. The Zulu were on their own island, the Carthaginians were connected to my landmass by a tiny land-bridge. First we fought a HUGE war over that land-bridge. Stalemate. I decide to get creative and build enough nukes to nuke EVERY SINGLE CITY ON EARTH and then proceded to do so relying on paratroops to waltz in and mop everything up. I wish I could say I took over the world in one turn (it actually took a couple turns because of limitations on paratroop deployment) but, I did manage to nuke every single (enemy) city on Earth in one turn.....a feat which I've never since replicated.

18. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

In Civ5, when I decided to snatch city state other powerful civ tried to conquer. It lead to cascade of events that lead to my victory.

First, they declared war on me, then I took one of their cities and weakened their army drastically, which led to them offering two more cities for peace (which I took). Then everybody else declared war on them (AI civs are vultures, even against their own kind), smelling their now weak army. This also included super-civ from other continent, which promptly took most of their cities. After that, that other civ declared war on me, and I took all their cities they conquered on "my" continent (was easier then expected, since they where all puppets, so no "purchased" reinforcements). This also lead to a few city state liberations, as well as respawning my previous enemy civ (hehe). That gave me enough room to go for diplomatic victory that won game for me.

P.S.
    I probably had some stuff that where memorable with previous civ games too. But it was long time ago, so i forgot. ;)

19. ButSam

ButSam King

I recall using spies in BtS to thwart an opponent's production of the space ship while I completed my own; snatched a win instead of a loss. That was memorable.

Civ 5 needs spies, but battles in Civ 5 are more memorable b/c they don't take forever, so every move counts more. Sure the AI needs work, but they will fix that in time. The fundamental battle system is leaps and bounds better.

My first Civ 5 diplo victory was memorable, since it was the first time I actually had to be nice to people to win a diplo victory, not just get bored with fighting.

I do miss governments, as they are memorable as well from the first 3 civs...but then again, I prefer the social policy system in Civ V if we can't have both.

20. diablochimp

diablochimp Chieftain

Would have to be one of my longer games of BtS, huge continent map, on marathon with all the civs i could put in :D

The modern era was dragging on with a terribly slow cold war (worked remarkably well), there were two opposing alliances, myself (the Koreans) in a perminant alliance with the Americans, and about 5-6 vassal states versus the portuguese in a permanant alliance with england, and about 8-10 vassals. the previous 2-300 turns had just been a battle for vassal states (its fun to declare war at the last moment and get a capitulation just before your opponent), however my opposition had a tech, score and power advantage in 1850 >.<

Anyway nothing had been happening for a long time (except MASSIVE troop buildups), when a random encounter popped up that gave me the choice to force Joao to declare war on me, give me 20 tanks ( :O ), happiness in every city plus free upkeep for a large amount of troops... or what amounted to nothing...

Needless to say I took the war option (even after leaving the computer on, and having a trip to the pub just to psych myself up), the war ended up being massively, MASSIVELY devastating for both sides england was completely oblitterated, and i lost my entire army after having to fight a war of liberation for my american allies, so in 2350 i decieded it was about time to let this one be and i won a diplomatic victory.

Easily the longest game of any civ i have ever played, also the most rewarding hahahaha, still cant stand Joao or Lizzy.
    Ps. i generally turn off all victory conditions except diplomatic and conquest (domination) as they are the easiest to manipulate for a longer game.
    /edit seeing as this is the CiV forum I might as well tie this post in by saying that i really REALLY miss random events, I really wish that they were implimented into CiV even as an option that is auto toggled off. :(