1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your national team at the next World Cup.

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by willemvanoranje, Oct 10, 2006.

1. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

Yeah, but he only played about 10 games for Nancy as professional player before being signed for PSV. You don't expect such an unexperienced player to just walk into the first team of a seasoned CL club, especially being a center back, right?

His last name is Freitas. ;)

2. ulsterman88

ulsterman88 4-2 Rangers rule supreme!

Northern Ireland loke quite good at the moment and have a srotng group of young talent like Davis, Evans, Baird, Lafferty, the list goes own. If we qualify i think we could suprose a few people.

3. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

I think the team of my country has got a chance, but they have to keep working hard and don't just say: "Oh we're doing great, what a nice life!". Depends on them.

4. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

Germany's prospects look better than ever since the early 90s. The team already plays both beautiful and successful football and is mostly comprised of young players in their early or mid-20s with a few that are a bit older. Most of them will peak at 2010 if normal patterns are followed.
    Also the trend against German players in the league seems to have been stopped. Many clubs again favour young domestic talents over cheap but mediocre foreign players. Werder's and Stuttgart's immense success with that strategy has brought other clubs to copy it. And those who still rely on money-only at least buy the good German players from the others.

As for positions:

Goal: There have always been many high class German keepers at any time and that's not different today. Behind Lehmann and the still favoured Hildebrand there are others like Enke, Weidenfeller, Wiese and Jentzsch that are all good enough and better than what certain other countries have.

Defense: Mertesacker, M. Friedrich and possibly Metzelder are good central defenders. Lahm is very good on the left. Fritz shows potential on the right, recently making his debut in the team. Overall still the least densily covered part, but at least the first-choice players are world class or have the potential to become it.

Midfield: Frings and Ballack are to me the best defensive pair in the world. Schneider might be a little old in 2010 but maybe it will still be enough. Schweinsteiger, Borowski and Trochowski are very decent alternatives, though. There are talents like Meier and Boateng, we'll see how that turns out. The first choice however is probably second to none or will be in 2010 if the development continues like this.

Offense: Klose is currently world class, but with strikers it is more a matter of form than with any other type of player, maybe save the keeper. Podolski is very promising. Also there are many other young players that might turn out well, such as Schlaudraff, Kuranyi, Kießling, Hanke and Hunt.

5. Lambert Simnel

Lambert Simnel One across

Chance would be a fine thing....

6. jeriko one

jeriko one Exalted Fleetlord

For Turkey the future is unknown but there are some promising players. Possible 2010 Squad. And some prospects for you Football Manager fans:)

Goalkeepers: Volkan Demirel(Already has some caps), Aykut

Defenders: Gokhan Zan(He is injury prone but should make it to the world cup)

Ibrahim Toraman(Still young should play in 2010)

Hamit Altintop(Definetely)

Hakan Balta(Promising player from Vestal Manisaspor)

Midfielders: Nuri Sahin(Top player. Needs to get some more caps for the NT)

Emre (Do not like him but his XP is much needed)

Arda Turan(Still 19. The next Emre perhaps?)

Aurelio(Lack of defensive midfielders caused a Brazilian to earn a cap. I am in full support)

Caner Altin(Very good winger and wing back. Star of the U18 team last year. Should be there.)

Burak Yilmaz(Had a big impact this season. Still 21. Needs to improve)

Forwards:

Hakan Sukur(He will want to play. Not kidding)

Nihat(no expalanations needed)

Halil Altintop(Needs to play regularly and I think he should transfer to a bigger league. Sorry my German friends:( )

7. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

Don't forget we only have to beat other CONCACAF teams to get there. CONCACAF is probably the weakest of all the regions, only Mexico is a real serious contender.

Given how our under 20s are doing, I still think we could actually do it for 2014 (provided other countries stop pillaging our top players).

8. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

Man, Finnish youth team looks good in the player list but sucks on the field. On next WC Litmanen would be 40 so he won't play even in the qualification, but I'm pretty sure that Hyypiä will continue.

Well, at least midfield looks good, Kolkka on the left, Väyrynen and maybe Heikkinen in the middle and Tainio on the right side. Eremenko Jr may play in attack with Forssell, Kuqi or then 21-year old Kangaskolkka. And Roman Eremenko who plays in Udinese is an option.

Defence is rock-solid, Hyypiä and Tihinen on centre, only the sides worry me. Now Pasanen who plays in centre in Werder Bremen plays on the right side and Kallio who plays as striker in Molde is on the left side. We need fresh meat on those places, maybe Ari Nyman could do that, or some young now almost-unknown player.

Goalkeepers? Hehe. Jussi Jääskeläinen or Antti Niemi will play in qualification, Niemi only if Jääskeläinen cathces an injury or if Finland achieves place in EC. So goalkeepers look damn good.

So will Finland achieve its place in WC 2010 in South Africa? Maybe, but at least it looks good now.

9. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Australia seems to be doing quite well. Hopefully ou greatest player will overcome hi injury problems that have plagued him throught his career. Gnerally we have a good chance should the refs do their job. The last two games we played we have awful refs and they cost us first a win and then thy cost a comprehesnsive victory.

10. willemvanoranje

willemvanoranje Curitibano

What about the Moisander brothers?

11. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

I'm not sure about them. When they were in Finland they were hot prospects but I don't know how they are doing now. Do they still play in Ajax?

And Finnish team gets Perparim Hetemaj of AEK when he is good enough. Jani Virtanen of Udinese and Juho Mäkelä of Hearts may be good in future, and of course some surprisers from Veikkausliiga, maybe Eetu Muinonen could play in 2010 WC, or 2012 EC. (If we ever get to big competitions.)

12. willemvanoranje

I think they moved to FC Zwolle last summer..

13. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

Yeah, I remember too that they moved to some lower division club

14. Suppersalmon

Suppersalmon Think Safely think again

I can see England being somthing like

GK - Robbinson - cant really see anyone challangeing him whos miles better

RB - Neville - he will do a cafu and play on for ever
    CB Terry
    CB Rio Ferdinand
    LB Ashley Cole

RM Lennon - Looked good comming off the bench in the last world cup 4 more years experience
    CM Reo Coker - Strong young player U21 captin should be in the main squad soon
    CM Gerrard
    LM Downing - only left winger for the future i can name

SC Rooney
    SC Wallcott - already showing good signs and hopefully can learn of Henry at arsenal

15. willemvanoranje

Still Neville....?

16. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Wow, it's been a while...

No more Robot? Damn...

17. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

I thought he would have been gone before Beckham.

18. Daimon

Daimon 50 post-er

In my opinion your'e trying to name too many new players, in my opinion the 2010 England squad will not have changed much fro mow (at least the starting 11 won't).

I'll bet that the medifield will be Gerrard on the left, Hargreaves and Lampard centre and Joe Cole on the right. As for the forwards, Owen, isn't out forever, just for a season or so ;) , however if he doesn't come back to the strating 11 it will be because he's been usurped by Crouch. For Walcott I don't see him getting into the first team until about 2014 at the earliest, even then we'll still have Rooney (in his prime), Crouch, Owen, Defoe, Johnson and many others contending for a space.

19. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Wow, it's been a while...