1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinion on the new Civworld Facebook game

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by mattavich, Feb 20, 2011.

1. mattavich

mattavich Civ5 Fanatic

Hi fellas

Sid's new game CivWorld(formerly CivNetwork) has now entered Alpha testing.

I wanted to ask you guys what you think of this new game. Civilization 5 hasn't had the positive impact that i'm sure the developers would have liked. So what do you think of this new Facebook game CivWorld?

Will you play it? Do you even know about it?

I want to start a discussion to find out.

Please leave your answers on the link in my signature

2. zerotwo

zerotwo Chieftain

I long ago lost any trust in Facebook to protect my information so I'm entirely certain this game exists purely to datamine everything about me while I whittle away the diminishing hours before my death.

Gameplay and everything aside, this app is about stealing everything about me to market things to me, so it's not worth it whatever it is.

3. Truthy

Truthy Titular character

The biggest question on my mind is "How will Civilization, a strategy game, be able to target people who are not strategy gamers?" The answer I am most terrified of is that they will accomplish this goal by utterly and completely removing all traces of strategy from the game. How else could it be done?

Civ World will only serve to move the series in the wrong direction. It will be a highly simplified and dumbed down version of the Civilization we have known for the past 20 years. Why would Civilization need to be even more simplified and dumbed down? The reason is to make money by opening the series up to new players. Civilization for most of its life has been dependent on its fan base and Firaxis now is attempting to target new players; the masses of Facebook users. They will do this by making an extraordinarily simple game that runs by creating simple, short term entertainment for the player. Without saying, this is coming at a great price to the brand and the quality of their product.

4. Jakt

Jakt Chieftain

In the marketing world, there's a "trap" that needs to be avoided, called the "Forgot What Made You Famous Trap". (I'm not making this up.) It's like when Volkswagen, back in the 80's, wanted to introduce luxury cars. Nobody took them seriously, because in the customers' minds, Volkswagen was all about small, mass-produced cars for the middle-market. It's what it had always been.

How does this pertain to Facebook-Civ? It's kind of like the Civ App for the iPod: It's called Civilization, but it's really not, and nobody is fooled into thinking that it is anything like the Civ experience we expect from our PC's.

Does this mean it shouldn't carry the Civilization brand-name? Hey-if you want to dilute your brand, by all means, knock yourselves out!

5. esemjay

esemjay Chieftain

This. I think most people will agree that most games just don't port well to web-apps and cell-phones. If I see Civilization for the iPhone, iPod, XBox, PS3, I assume that it may as well be on the Etch-a-Sketch. There is just no way that the media it is released on can provide the same level of complexity and satisfaction as it would on the computer. And even if it could, when am I going to use it?

Seriously. Where are you going to sit and play Civilization for hours, on a cell phone? When's the last time you saw a web-based game of comparable complexity to a modern game that you have to install to your hard disk? I simply won't play them, because I know they will be a disappointment. I'd rather play Monopoly, Call of Duty edition.

6. kekekeke

kekekeke Chieftain

Facebook brings nothing positive to civilization whatsoever. Civbook will just be even more dumbed down version of civilization than CiV ever was.

I will never ever touch facebook or anything that is closely related.

7. Selous

Selous Chieftain

meh

im going to play it, then hate it, i can not see that it can give me anything close to what i want out of a civ game, perhaps interest some of my friends into playing a real civ game?

fb only allows infomation about yourself to be spread that you give it, personally i dont understand the hate, use it as a tool and not as a ball and chain

8. kekekeke

kekekeke Chieftain

There is no way to control what others write about you and link to your profile.

9. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Chieftain

I always avoided facebook like the plague, figuring it was an identity theif's paradise. Now I have an account to stay in touch with family across the country. The major benefits are sharing pictures, and one of my cousins is intentionally hilarious. A family forum of a sort.

Civville sounds like a time sink. I didn't volunteer to be a Beta tester when they announced it here. If it's the future of games, I'm not enthused. I like big screens and big keyboards.

I wish everyone enjoyment in the gaming experience of their choice.

10. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Personally I don't know enough about it to have an opinion about it.

Is this intended to be a similar number of people as normal in a given game or is this intended to be like most facebook apps and have thousands of players all in the same game?

And how frequently do turns change?

Would you have a decent shot at your city surviving if someone declared war and attacked you when you were offline?

Is this going to be like a lot of facebook apps and wall-spam, feed-spam, and request-spam?

11. Roto-Router

Roto-Router Chieftain

I hear the iPhone and Android versions will have a great new "killer feature": if you find you are falling behind in the game, you can shake your phone and cause an earthquake which destroys a random number of structures in the world.

12. kamex

kamex Chieftain

I'm just waiting to see the link saying 'Buy Civ Cash' !!! :D

Don't say it won't happen, you know it will!

Its like trying to compare CityVille to SimCity 4. I like both games, yes, I do play CityVille, but it doesn't even scratch the surface of SimCity 4, and never will do.

I even doubt there will be any wars in CivVille, it will be probably like that City of Wonder game... era based CityVille with a time / cash (real money) based tech tree

13. Selous

Selous Chieftain

good point, you just have to control who you are friends with

14. Leif Roar

Leif Roar Chieftain

It's difficult to have an opinion on the particular of the game before we've tried it.

On the whole, I'm skeptical of Civilization as a Facebook / social networking game. It seems the design of most social networking games so far has ended up with some combination of "Success for Cash" and "Popularity Contest". While it's not certain that CivWorld will fall into those pits of no interest, I haven't seen anything to suggest they've steered clear of them either.

15. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

I don't really have an opinion of it, since I've never seen it or played it. But even based off what little I know, it's not for me. (I don't use Facebook and I like real Civ games.)

That's not to say that Sid & Co couldn't make a decent Facebook game, taken in the context of other Facebook games. I'm sure it will earn some new fans given time, and since it seems that casual titles are where the money is in the industry, I'm not surprised Firaxis is focusing their efforts on that market.

16. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

Honest question. Shouldn't this thread be moved out of the civ v section?

17. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

CIV for Facebook can be a fantastic game, provided its not going to be a Civville.
    There were many games played this way (CIV4, CIV5 maybe even prior to that) in which many people formed a government for each civ.
    What worries me is that Firaxis must get money out of it somehow, even if it turns out to be a great game. That alone can ruin the whole concept.

I say lets not judge the game just yet, although I'm not very optimistic.

18. sekong

sekong Net Surfer

Hey, Civ world,

I has been a long time since I visited here. What brought me back was the rumor about civ on facebook. Any one knows about it? Or anyone here signed up as beta testers?

Just curious how it goes, or team I could join.

p.s. Not sure which forum this topic suppose to belong. I just guess maybe here is the place to get the attention of most hardcore players.. So Here I go.

Moderator Action: Merged into another thread with the same subject matter.

19. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Young padowan, you will NEVER EVER get the attention of the hardcores asking about Sheepbook's version of "Civ" ... EVER.

20. sekong

sekong Net Surfer

Well I guess it depends on your defination of hardcore. I have played all versions of CIV's except this version 5. :king: I almost sinked my career and my marriage partially due to this game.

I had enough of civving I suppose, except never get good experience with on-line ones.

BTW, thanks for associating me with Young word.