Your opinion on the new Civworld Facebook game

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by mattavich, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Superluminal

Superluminal Warlord

If they get mass exposure and Civworld proves to be successful with the Facebook crowd that plays games like Farmville then I fear they might be tempted to release a similar version with improved graphics for the Wii and the other consoles. They might be willing to sacrifice more depth for mass appeal and money. I don't blame them but I don't like it and I hope they keep making games for those that like depth.

2. High Roller

High Roller Chieftain

I guess I'm excited for it. Hopefully it comes out soon.

3. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

No opinion of it without concrete information, honestly. Worst case is that I don't enjoy it and thus don't play it, best case is I do enjoy it and do play it.

4. kamex

kamex Emperor

Worst case is that many people do like it, who don't like strategy games, which results in the design of civ 6 being tailored to meet the needs of this new fan base, resulting in an even more watered down version of civ v (if thats possible)

5. wilebill

wilebill Warlord

Facebook scares me. It frightens me. Seriously, I will never log on to Facebook for any reason. Thus no play CivWorld. Doubt I miss much.

6. mattavich

mattavich Civ5 Fanatic

Curious, do you guys know that Facebook gets more visitors than google.com?

It is the most popular website in the world. Zynga (A Facebook game developer) has recently been valued at $1billion. This just from Facebook games.

Personally, I use Facebook simply to see what my friends have been up to, it is easy to connect to people. Oh and also play Facebook Games :) Can't say i've ever had a "privacy issue". I just clicked don't he "privacy" link and changed my options so only my friends can see anything I do. Easy as that.

PS* Don't forget my blog :( VVVV

7. Xenobenignitas

Xenobenignitas Chieftain

So many sites have Facebook integration now. I'm half surprised these forums don't ask you to sign in using Facebook yet

8. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Facebook integration normally results in every time you post to those forums that you end up spamming your own wall.

9. Selous

Selous King

there is no real news about the fb version if civ, just a lot of people angry about it here

i believe there was an attempt to enter a civfanatic team into the beta, but this team was not accepted or everyone that was can not talk about it (but shorly they would be able to say if they are playing or not??)

on the fb civ page they said that many teams were not accepted because they did not meet the demograph that they were after, that might explain why a civfanatic team were not selected ... and to many people on here that does not bode well :(

10. eraofdiversion

eraofdiversion Chieftain

I've just read that Sid Meier/Firaxis have been working on the facebook game since before they even released Civ V....that explains a lot.

11. eraofdiversion

eraofdiversion Chieftain

quote from 2k Greg

"Just to let everyone know, Civ World is Sid's project through and through; it's his baby and he's personally coding much of it. It's been in development since long before Civilization V's release. Firaxis is a pretty large studio with multiple teams. So take that in to consideration when making assumptions about who's working on what and since when!"

12. eraofdiversion

eraofdiversion Chieftain

Actually no it's not that easy, sorry. Your info is still being gathered.

13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

who cares about gathering info.? I still don't even show up on a google search, and if you want, you can intentionally mispell your name. ooooh scary, fb has information on a non-existent person.

As for the game, I have yet to play a fb game. FB games are for people too dumb to play real PC games.

14. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

What does any of this relatively trivial common knowledge have to do with the Civ-Facebook game? Do you truly evaluate the websites you use based on their page hits and monetary value?

Oh, maybe you do, after all! So this thread was just an attempt to drum up traffic for your blog? Nice. :rolleyes:

15. eraofdiversion

eraofdiversion Chieftain

You might not care...but most people don't want their information being sold to ad firms, or ending up as a fake profile on a dating site. There are several ways to steal pics from a profile even when they are set to private.

16. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

I don't buy it, though. I don't think anyone in the games industry is unaware of the huge differences between what works on facebook and what works as a retail box product.

Civ VI will probably put a lot of emphasis on simplified gameplay, but that's true no matter how the facebook game does. There aren't enough core strategy gamers to let a company turn a profit on an investment in the 10s of millions of dollars. Games just cost too much money to make AAA niche games nowadays.

You might care, but most people either don't know or don't care.

Facebook has more users than the total population of the United States. If most people cared, that wouldn't be the case, given how astoundingly awful they are about security and privacy matters.

17. Leif Roar

Leif Roar Warlord

I don't think that's true at all. Many entries on the list of most-selling PC games are strategy games. The Civilization series has always been clearly mainstream. It is perhaps an atypical mainstream series in having retained a turn-based gameplay, but that's still mainstream.

18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

someone can snap a picture of you walking down the street with their cell phone camera, and use that on a dating site. If someone wants your image, there is nothing you can do about it unless you stay indoors 24/7. Google is a lot bigger threat to privacy than facebook every was. You ever noticed the advertisements on google mail? Yup, they scan your email messages for certain words and use them in ads.

If you like privacy, get off the internet. (either that or just create fake profiles)

19. mattavich

mattavich Civ5 Fanatic

I just thought I would add some perspective to the discussion. Maybe people seem to think Facebook sucks in this thread and I wanted to point out that it is more popular than Google.

I'm not after traffic, i'm after opinions and discussion from people who are NOT Facebook Game players but DESERVE to be heard. You make it seem like a crime.

:rolleyes:

20. mattavich

mattavich Civ5 Fanatic

Just to say, do you have any evidence that this happens with Facebook?

One of the main reasons Facebook is so popular is because it was one of the first "profile" websites which took privacy seriously and only people you knew personally could message you on it.