Your Opinion on the US

We let others win from time to time to make them feel better about themselves. Otherwise, what would they have to take pride in? :D

A cool place to live and grow up in, a country with a short yet extremely dynamic history, a country home to Jazz and Hip-Hop music (two of my favorite genres), overall I'd say that right now there is no other place I'd rather live.

Arrogant governmenmt that thinks it can walk all over the world (with some justification given that America does have the power to walk all over the world)

But the people are great and the country is a great place to be

A country with varying amounts of odd laws, religious fanaticism (but you find that everywhere), strange debates on wether pseudo-religious ideas should taught as science and movies of varying quality (mostly poor quality).

Would I like to live in the U.S ? Depends on the state, I wouldn't set foot in certain states, while I wouldn't mind living in states like Minnesota. But all in all, I prefer life here.

Arrogant governmenmt that thinks it can walk all over the world (with some justification given that America does have the power to walk all over the world)

But the people are great and the country is a great place to be

I think even the most heard hearted neocon has started to realise, that while it can walk over the world, it can't do it without expecting serious and damaging repurcussions. It's not 1742 and Powers can't just willy nilly exert mandates on countries that are weaker, thankfully.

Another reason why the UN is important, whilst it might not be able to exert influence as well as you might like, it at least gives people the power to register dissatisfaction with any country and to then tell them I told you so after they've screwed up. A fact that is often underestimated in it's worth.

I think even the most heard hearted neocon has started to realise, that while it can walk over the world, it can't do it without expecting serious and damaging repurcussions. It's not 1742 and Powers can't just willy nilly exert mandates on countries that are weaker, thankfully.

Thankfully!??! This sucks! At least you English got to enjoy your time. We have to play by the rules.:(

The USA is... well, ok.

The Government has it corruption... The Police and other authorities abuse their power and their is still unemplyoment.

But it is a good country.

I like the US, especially Kansas. I'm absolutely fine with where I am, even if it doesn't match everyone's tastes. :)

Oh, come one. Kansans barely accept that the world is round. It's a primitive backwater.

[...]
What is ironic is that part of the reason major world powers can't get away with this any more is because of things we did in the aftermath of World War II.

I disagree with a lot of Americans, but I also like a lot of the Americans I disagree with.

Of the places I have seen, I think the US is pretty cool. I am not sure if I would leave behind my Canadian residence for it, but it wouldn't be a bad choice if I did. Portland was especially cool.

What is ironic is that part of the reason major world powers can't get away with this any more is because of things we did in the aftermath of World War II.

Aye the UN set up by the US mostly under Trumans direction, to see that never again would a world country ever be able to force it's will on another. So conveniently tossed aside in a few years. It's kind of disheartening the hypocrisy that the human race displays when it feels the need to. To abandon so quickly the principles that were realised after WWII.

WE THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS DETERMINED
to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind, and

to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small, and

to establish conditions under which justice and respect for the obligations arising from treaties and other sources of international law can be maintained, and

to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom,

AND FOR THESE ENDS

to practice tolerance and live together in peace with one another as good neighbours, and

to unite our strength to maintain international peace and security, and

to ensure, by the acceptance of principles and the institution of methods, that armed force shall not be used, save in the common interest, and

to employ international machinery for the promotion of the economic and social advancement of all peoples,

HAVE RESOLVED TO COMBINE OUR EFFORTS TO ACCOMPLISH THESE AIMS

Accordingly, our respective Governments, through representatives assembled in the city of San Francisco, who have exhibited their full powers found to be in good and due form, have agreed to the present Charter of the United Nations and do hereby establish an international organization to be known as the United Nations.

To be disregarded as we see fit, when we see fit, because we see fit.

Government yes, people absolutely not, guilty maybe only in being a little bit too accepting and sometimes a little less discriminitary about what you believe? Perhaps. But even that is a generalisation.

I think it is important to clarify that you mean some officials temporarily elected into government, not the government system itself.

The system is the best in the world; the envy of many.

~Chris

I think it is important to clarify that you mean some officials temporarily elected into government, not the government system itself.

The system is the best in the world; the envy of many.

~Chris

In that case so clarified.

Best in the world? Hell you copied us and then added a few extras from France. Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that :)

It's a good system, for a Republic, but it isn't the best, simply the best for your particular neck of the woods. Well written at the time, but that constitution is straining under the bit of the modern world, I bet you wished you just made a government not an absolute constitution, I mean given that the world turns, all these ammendments would of been easier without farting around with the text.

Best decision you ever enforced, eventually: only two terms.:)

In that case so clarified.

Best in the world? Hell you copied us and then added a few extras from France. Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that :)

It's a good system, for a Republic, but it isn't the best, simply the best for your particular neck of the woods. Well written at the time, but that constitution is straining under the bit of the modern world, I bet you wished you just made a government not an absolute constitution, I mean given that the world turns, all these ammendments would of been easier without farting around with the text.

Are we on the same planet?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the UK was a full blown monarchy in 1776 and France had its revolution several years after our own...and copied our government a bit I would say...

Plus, America was founded by blokes fleeing your government.

Nah....I like our Constitution just the way it is....it certainly stands the test of time.

~Chris

Are we on the same planet?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the UK was a full blown monarchy in 1776 and France had its revolution several years after our own...and copied our government a bit I would say...

Plus, America was founded by blokes fleeing your government.

Nah....I like our Constitution just the way it is....it certainly stands the test of time.

~Chris

England had been a Constitutional Monarchy for about five hundred years by the time we wrote the Constitution.

Most of the Philosophes from whom the Founding Fathers derived their ideas for our government were from France.

That's why those two countries have been cited.

Greatest nation, best government, greatest people. You name it, we're the best it.
Mr Boasting Naive Man here.

And as I've said so many times before, I would hope everyone thinks the same of their own nation. Love your country!
But how can we when we have Americans like you shoving all your how-America-is-the-best stuff. You're directly contradicting yourself.

Greatest place in the world.

Another Mr Boasting Naive Man here.

I don't mind Americans saying how great their country is; sure, it is one of the nicest countries in the world. It just really gets to me when some Americans say that America is the "best", when the country is the cause of numerous crises around the world.

Top Bottom