1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Opinion on the US

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by civconquer3000, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

The statement that America is stupid doesn't even make any sense. It sounds childish. Is the name America stupid? Are the people stupid? Do you think the whole country needs to be changed? He wasn't hinting at any specifics, which leads me to think that he was just trying to show his anti Americansism.

2. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

Says the guy with Spanish everywhere. :rolleyes: (just kidding!)

The US is a nice place to live. But I'd rather go on vacation to Europe or Asia. :)

3. tomsnowman123

tomsnowman123 Simple Liver

And what's wring with anti-Americanism?

4. Azkonus

Azkonus Prince

Can you really accuse anyone with this sentence?

(Our goverment, our jobs, our dollars...)

Who is us in this sentence?

5. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

I must admit that I'd probably object if anybody called *my* country "stupid". I'm not even very patriotic, and there are many criticism about my country that I'd just agree with, but let's admit it - "it's stupid" is not the smartest or most constructive thing to say about a whole country.

That said, I don't think this aspect is really worth half a page of discussion. Peace. :)

6. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

If anything I find that people being outspoken on their opinions is a good thing. Maybe it's not that we have to much pride, it could be that most of the world doesn't have enough pride to go around. And when have Americans shown ethocentrism? Unless The Klan = American opinion.

How are conservatives discriminating against anyone? What freedoms have we lost? Let me run a check. Ahem, George Bush is an idiot. Hmm, no one is coming to arrest me. I'd say we are as free as we ever were.

Is that last thing supposed to make anything better? You just compared America to the third world. That doesn't make this sound better nor is it accurate. America is no theocracy nor are there militias recruiting children and killing people.

7. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

The nation of America of course. The stupid country in which he enjoys many personal freedoms and I'd assume, a relatively comfortable life.
    Think about this, what If I said, "What's wrong with anti semitism?" But no, I wouldn't say that because I for one see many problems with judging an entire nation.

8. tomsnowman123

I think that they ae slightly different concepts. Anti-semitism is essentially based on race, which has no effect on a person's ability, intelligence, etc. Anti-Americanism tends to be about a dislike of the country and its policies, not races or religions or anything like that.

Also, these are all protected under free speech, even if anti-semitism is wrong.

9. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

I never said he couldn't say this. Just that it sounds ridiculous. Why don't you just save some time and spit in my face, and insult what I believe in?

10. tomsnowman123

Luckily, I don't think that many people would take it that far.

11. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

That is what he just did and why I feel insulted.

12. tomsnowman123

:crazyeye:

I was referring to the spit in the face literally.

13. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

And I still fell just as angry, and insulted.

14. The Lombard

The Lombard Warlord

You'll forgive me if my eyes roll into the back of my head after reading that sophistry.

The "best people" viewpoint, along with assumptions of moral superiority (essentially a part of the first), to state the main ones. It's when people get carried away and overexcited with patriotism that it bleeds into the near side of nationalism and ethnocentrism.

Also, don't fall into oversimplifying. Comments like "Unless The Klan = American opinion" aren't worth a lot because 'American opinion' is basically a meaningless concept, an impossible gestalt. I don't make the mistake of tarring all Americans with the same brush and have made of point of wording posts so that they don't. It's a broad human spectrum.

Religious and social conservatism discriminate against any number of harmless social liberties.

Self-evidently not.

Nor are most of the Middle East or Africa.

But more to the point, the 'comparison' was on one specific social aspect, that being social and religious conservatism. You simply pointing out that America is different in other ways is neither here nor there.

15. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

Go ahead. But just because you think that we are too patriotic doesn't make it so.
    That's ridiculous, there are not many people who would say that Americans are better than everyone else. Go ahead and find some obscyre quotes or something. You cannot prove that Americans think that they are the best people.
    Then you'll agree that most of your statements about us are impossible to prove?
    People are discriminated against in a variety of ways by a variety of people. And it is always condemned in America. People have equal rights in this country, and you can't prove otherwise. People will have opinions regardless.
    Nor are most of the Middle East or Africa.
    I wouldn't even say that the majority is religious and conservative. Even then, I don't see the need for a comparison to theocratical countries that employ cruel and unusual punishments for immorality.

16. McManus

McManus Thinkers friend

That was nicely put... Pretty much quoted for truthery..

17. MamboJoel

MamboJoel Cool.

Hey, rural Connecticut is not quite what Europeans figure rural America looks like : road 66 cliché etc... ;). Well, it's a lot of forests, colonial style houses, lovely landscapes.... Very class IMO...

I agree. We all have an attachment to where we spent time, if it wasn't too much of a bad time. Like you said, the right thing is to understand it's because it's our land, not because it's the best land :

Amusing...

So, my opinion on the US.
    It's a country I love.

It's achievements... But in fact, it's a bit the past already. I loved the culture and artistic boom in the 60s and 70s, now everything is standardized, formated for consumption. I feel much less creativity expressions. Beeing american was a challenge, today it's defending an american way of life that is best sumarized as : "we want to consume as much as we want, the best we can afford". A bit less sexy...
    It's landscapes... Definitely the most diverse country in the world. There has been a great effort throughout history for national parks (Americans invented national parks), and despites todays difficulties to finance all that I have to say it's a success.
    It's people... A lot of diversity too, but when you come to think about, with such distances it's a minimum... You'd go through far more diversity in 200 km in France than in 2000 km in the US. In fact, the american people's diversity is not geohraphical. You can find a lot of different people in one place, I appreciate that a lot. So in fact, I can't argue about americans because of their big diversity. But in most cases we can say they are welcoming, and this can only be said about very few nations.

Edit : I'd add (it's very important in fact), America we'll do better in my opinion when they stop the death penalty and its spreading in countries to which they declare introducing democracy. On a general note, when America will lean a bit more towards civilization by abandoning such barbaric methods.

18. GeneralZed

GeneralZed look around...

I dont know, didnt read them.

Other countries have also beautiful landscapes, a multi-cultural society and freedom. switzerland for instance is a great place to live, you have social work and everythings nice and tidy.

Yet, I want to go out and live somewhere else, one of the places would be San Francisco and somewhere between Chicago and New York/Maine, but whenever I talk about this, they always discouraged me from it.

19. Tanizaki

Tanizaki Warlord

On the night of Saddam Hussein's execution. my wife, who is a Japanese citizen, commented to me about the American occupation of her country. She said that she thought Japan did very well by the U.S., and if the U.S. had not intervened, her country would be unrecognizable to her.

It's not popular to say things like that. I wonder about what sort of silent majority is out there.

20. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

America can't be described in one sentence. Sure, there are certain things I don't understand, things I don't like or things I find crazy. I am far from being Americanist like certain people here, but I am also far from that hatred and eviousness some people feel towards the US.

I think America is simply an offshoot of Europe, an extension of European civilization, much like Carthage was a Phoenician ex-colony, that became more powerful than Phoenicia itself.

I believe that inevitably, both sides of Atlantic must stick together in order to survive.