processor-4.0
memory-4.2
graphics-5.9
gaming graphics 4.1
hard drive-5.4

These are in the profiles.

CPU: 2.93 GHz quad-core Core 2
RAM: 4GB PC8500 DDR2
Video card: eVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MB (will add a 2nd in the latter half of the year)
Motherboard: ASUS Striker Extreme
HDDs: 150GB Raptor (10k rpm); 750GB Seagate 7200.10; 500GB SATA External drive; 160GB Seagate 7200.7 (from old PC)
Sound: SoundBlaster X-Fi

All of my Vista WEI scores are 5.9...I assume this is the max.

AMD Athlon 4200+
Asus M2N32 SLI deluxe
Nvidia 7950 GT 512 MB
2Gigs OCZ Gold 4-4-4-12
250 gig 7200 Barracuda

It does the trick. And I have no plans to move to vista anytime soon.

These are in the profiles.

CPU: 2.93 GHz quad-core Core 2
RAM: 4GB PC8500 DDR2
Video card: eVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra (will add a 2nd in the latter half of the year)
Motherboard: ASUS Striker Extreme
HDDs: 150GB Raptor (10k rpm); 750GB Seagate 7200.10; 500GB SATA External drive; 160GB Seagate 7200.7 (from old PC)
Sound: SoundBlaster X-Fi

All of my Vista WEI scores are 5.9...I assume this is the max.

Wow that's huge. Must have cost a Fortune.

Not as much as you might think. Built it myself, went "bargain" hunting. Came to roughly $4000CDN, or $3800US...with tax (15%). This is including everything (case [Antec P182], 800W PSU, aftermarket Zalman CPU cooler, etc). It's ultra-quiet.

Not as much as you might think. Built it myself, went "bargain" hunting. Came to roughly $4000CDN, or $3800US...with tax (15%). This is including everything (case [Antec P182], 800W PSU, aftermarket Zalman CPU cooler, etc). It's ultra-quiet.

That's what I meant by a fortune. $4000 is a lot of money you do realize you could pay almost two years tuition with that money.

Athlon64x2 4400+
2GB Corsair XMS Pro DDR400 @ 3-3-3-8
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
eVGA GF7800 GTX
Creative X-Fi
2x Samsung 80GB SATAII in a striped array
Maxtor 80GB SATA
Seasonic S12-600W

Wow that's huge. Must have cost a Fortune.

I'm not sure what Asher did to get a $3800 price tag, but a system basically comperable to his (quadcore, 4GB RAM 8800 GTX - no point getting the "Ultra") can be had for about what I paid for my setup in early fall '05; less than $2000.

Really, it's a good time to be building a comp.... Particularly if you're upgrading you get get a very kick-ass system for not all that much. I priced an upgrade for my own system the other day - about $1200 would get a C2D E6700, mobo, 2GB of Corsair XMS DDR2 and a GF8800 GTX.

can be had for about what I paid for my setup in early fall '05; less than $2000.
I would really like to see you build a complete system with these specs for $2000.

The CPU alone is half of that (unlocked Extreme, for overclocking).

The 8800 Ultra actually made a lot of sense -- I got it for $729CDN. Only $80 more than the GTX at the time, with ~300MHz faster shaders and ~20GB/s more in bandwidth. The Ultras have a new chip stepping (A3) that's optimized for lower power and higher clocks.

Not to mention it easily overclocks to 650MHz core (stock GTX is 575, most O/C to about 610 ish).

blazing fast AMD Sempron 1700mhz

the vid card is insane (had to get it imported, its not exactly legal in the USA due to the massive power requrements): ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200 series.

228mb of RAM (allows me to simultaneously run 9 different brand new shooters)

The hard drive is just pointlessly huge, so right now I'm leasing out space on it to Citigroup to hold the credit records for a couple hundred million people: 40 FREAKING GB (no, that's not a typo)

I'd talk about the Mother Board and whatnot but most of the stuff in it isn't even out on the market yet so I could get in trouble for talking about it.

I would really like to see you build a complete system with these specs for $2000.

The CPU alone is half of that (unlocked Extreme, for overclocking).

The 8800 Ultra actually made a lot of sense -- I got it for $729CDN. Only $80 more than the GTX at the time, with ~300MHz faster shaders and ~20GB/s more in bandwidth. The Ultras have a new chip stepping (A3) that's optimized for lower power and higher clocks.

Not to mention it easily overclocks to 650MHz core (stock GTX is 575, most O/C to about 610 ish).
Like I said, basically comperable. Of course you got the ultra high end on everything and paid out the ass for it, but few people can justify double their price for a few percentage extra on synthetic benchmarks.

On the 8800 Ultra in particular, almost every test I've seen of it had the difference between it and the next competitor (factory overclocked 8800 GTX's) being within the margin of error for the test. Really, no way to justify the cost.

Pentium IV 3.6ghz
1gb of RAM
250gb HD
ATI X800XT

That's all I can remember. :(

On the 8800 Ultra in particular, almost every test I've seen of it had the difference between it and the next competitor (factory overclocked 8800 GTX's) being within the margin of error for the test. Really, no way to justify the cost.
Depends on the game, the resolution, and the shader workload.

The Ultras clock much higher (mine runs stable at 2.1GHz memory, 650MHz core), which is significantly faster than the GTXes. As you increase the resolution (and thus constraints on the memory bandwidth), the Ultra's benefits increase further. Ditto for shader workload, since the Ultra's shaders are clocked faster at the same core clock as the GTX, plus the core is clocked higher.

The GTX has 86GB/s memory bandwidth @ stock, the Ultra has 102GB/s memory bandwidth at stock. That's a fairly significant difference by itself.

Serious Sam 2, 2560x1600:
Ultra: 170
GTX: 139
GTS: 97

That's a pretty linear descent in performance. Certainly more than the margin of error.

Ditto for Battlefield 2:
Ultra: 112
GTX: 92

Shader-heavy games like Splinter Cell show most benefit:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/428/13/

1024x768 Splinter Cell:
Ultra: 234
GTX: 183

1280x1024:
Ultra: 182
GTX: 137

1600x1200:
Ultra: 133
GTX: 98

1920x1200:
Ultra: 116
GTX: 86

2560x1600:
Ultra: 73
GTX: 53

As you can see, this is more than the margin of error...

Also FEAR:
Ultra: 46
GTX: 31

I also stand by my comment that you can't build an equivalent system for $2000.

Pentium D 2.8GHz
1GB Ram
256MB Nvidia GeForce 7300LE
200GB Hard Drive

I also stand by my comment that you can't build an equivalent system for $2000.

After mail-in rebates, you've got $350 to play with for case and storage.

Depends on the game, the resolution, and the shader workload.

Reading comprehension. Factory overclocked GTX != standard GTX. I've yet to see a test where the difference between factory OC and Ultra is more than 2-3%.

Even so, almost every example you posted is irrelevant in real world performance - you're paying bragging rights, and little else. Truthfully, any 8800GTX will slaughter basically any DX9 out there now, and all of them are mediocre at best on DX10.

Attachments

• comp.pdf
    38.6 KB · Views: 49
After mail-in rebates, you've got $350 to play with for case and storage.
You think that's comparable? 2.4GHz vs 2.93GHz.
PC6400 vs PC8500.
SLI capable motherboard vs non-SLI motherboard.

It's also missing:
Storage
Optical drives
Case

If I wanted to build a humble computer such as that, I would've. Unfortunately, it's not nearly as fast nor as expandable as the system I've gotten now. You may think it's overkill, but for what I use it for, it's not.

I've yet to see a test where the difference between factory OC and Ultra is more than 2-3%.
Well, duh, since the architecture is the same. The key point of the Ultra is it can clock faster. Please learn about the A3 stepping and its advantages in the G80.

Even so, almost every example you posted is irrelevant in real world performance - you're paying bragging rights, and little else. Truthfully, any 8800GTX will slaughter basically any DX9 out there now, and all of them are mediocre at best on DX10.
This is nonsense on many levels.

How can something be "mediocre at best" when there is nothing better?

Additionally, I suspect you know next to nothing about how these modern GPUs work. Here's a little hint for you: there's nothing fixed-function DX9 about them. They are massive MIMD engines with lots of small FPUs. There is no different to the hardware if it's DX9 or DX10 -- the difference is to the programmer.

FWIW, I'm a hobbyist games programmer and I'm working on porting Ogre3D to DX10. I'm well aware of how it works, are you?

My desktop s currently dead due to a bad motherboard so I am in the process of upgrading it. This is what it will have when I am done

Motherboard: ASUS M2N
CPU: Socket AM2 Athlon x2 4800 2.5Ghz
RAM: 1GB DDR2-800
Video Card: 7800GTX (got it for $140)
PSU: Xion 600W
Optical: DVD ROM
HD: 250GB SATA II
Wireless mouse and keyboard
got some other drives on the front. But I never need those.

If I wanted to build a humble computer such as that, I would've. Unfortunately, it's not nearly as fast nor as expandable as the system I've gotten now. You may think it's overkill, but for what I use it for, it's not.

Mainly I think you're in the position of having money to burn and like to be a pompous ass about it, but I won't hold that against you. Feel free though to expound upon your usage where it's so critical.

Well, duh, since the architecture is the same. The key point of the Ultra is it can clock faster. Please learn about the A3 stepping and its advantages in the G80.

Please learn to read. Factory OC'd parts have been available long before the A3 revision and still perform with a few % of the Ultra.

This is nonsense on many levels.

How can something be "mediocre at best" when there is nothing better?

When the performance is borderline at best, even at low resolutions (1024x768, 1280x1024), I call that "mediocre". As in, "you'd best wait for G90 if you're really interested in DX10 performance".

Additionally, I suspect you know next to nothing about how these modern GPUs work. Here's a little hint for you: there's nothing fixed-function DX9 about them. They are massive MIMD engines with lots of small FPUs. There is no different to the hardware if it's DX9 or DX10 -- the difference is to the programmer.

FWIW, I'm a hobbyist games programmer and I'm working on porting Ogre3D to DX10. I'm well aware of how it works, are you?

Good for you. If this humble peasant may be allowed to speak in your mighty presence, he would tell you that you aren't the only one allowed knowledge of the mysterious computer, as others of us work with them on a daily basis as well.

Model: Dell XPS M170
Processor: Intel Pentium M Processer 2GHz
Ram: 1 GB of ram
Video: NIVDIA GeoForce Go 6800 Ultra
Sound: SigmaTel C-Major Audio
CD: NEC DVD+-RW ND-6650A
HD: 93.1 GB Fujitsu Mhv2100AH

Wireless Mouse
External Floppy Drive (I use it once in a great while)

And no, I'm not going on Vista. I'm sticking with XP :p

Mainly I think you're in the position of having money to burn and like to be a pompous ass about it, but I won't hold that against you. Feel free though to expound upon your usage where it's so critical.
Sure.

1) Real-time HD transcoding into MPEG-4/h.264 for streaming onto devices around the home
2) Game development and all it entails (3D Studio, compiling massive Visual Studio projects, Photoshop, etc).
3) Playing games (Flight Simulator X still doesn't run at a stable 30fps).
4) Run Windows Home Server via vmware

Please learn to read. Factory OC'd parts have been available long before the A3 revision and still perform with a few % of the Ultra.
I am well aware they have been available. I am also aware that the A3 revision allows for higher clock speeds by tweaking the core layout.

For instance, the A3 revision hits 690MHz core and 2500MHz memory at Guru3D: http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/428/14/
The A2 revision hits 610MHz core and 2040MHz memory at Guru3D:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/391/26/

When the performance is borderline at best, even at low resolutions (1024x768, 1280x1024), I call that "mediocre". As in, "you'd best wait for G90 if you're really interested in DX10 performance".
What is "DX10 performance"? That statement is completely uneducated. It's not like there's a "geometry shading unit" on the G80 that is underpowered or anything. It's a massive array of processors...DX9 or DX10 or OpenGL or CUDA...it doesn't matter.

Good for you. If this humble peasant may be allowed to speak in your mighty presence, he would tell you that you aren't the only one allowed knowledge of the mysterious computer, as others of us work with them on a daily basis as well.
While you may work with them, you're clearly not up to speed on much of the details being discussed right here. Most people who work in "IT" are not, as luck would have it. Bring your crazy ideas to a technical discussion board such as Beyond3D and learn a few things. DX10 game developers (for real, well known commercial games) post their impressions of technology and their experiences.

Top Bottom