Your preferred beliefs when founding?

If I expect to have a lot of faith (Japan, Russia, etc.), Jesuit Education. If I just want to spread it to my cities but not build too many holy sites, %production from followers. If in a bad starting spot with very little food from terrain, Food from temples/shrines.

Then generally I pick a Worship building because I find the other beliefs a little so-so (though I guess 30% cheaper Apostles might be a better choice). Cathedrals (for Russia or a cultural victory) and Mosques (otherwise) tend to be my go-tos, but I'm thinking of giving the one that gives production a try. Especially since Mosques seem less necessary post-patch.

I started a new game and got Stinehenge.
Sooo I got divine spark and now I am founding.
This game I disable culture and score victory so a religious victory could happen.
Is the +1% per follower useful overall?
I am leaning on a conquest actually this game.

I started a new game and got Stinehenge.
Sooo I got divine spark and now I am founding.
This game I disable culture and score victory so a religious victory could happen.
Is the +1% per follower useful overall?
I am leaning on a conquest actually this game.
Well, you're not going to find too many folks who will begrudge a production bonus. The AI doesn't like to take Work Ethic, so I guess it doesn't think it's that great. Then again, it doesn't Tithe either, and I find that to be a just fine and dandy belief.

In V, Work Ethic capped at 15%. Doesn't state a cap here, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Anyway, even a 10% bonus is welcome.

To be honest I find the beliefs lackluster compared to civ 5. It might be a good thing though as in Civ5 there were some clearly superior options that I always ended up taking. Now it feels like much more minor bonuses. I usually take Divine Spark because I like great people and it can give you an edge in the early game (it's completely irrelevant after that). For the religion I usually go +10% city growth.

I pick the one that increases religious spread pressure by 25% and then 50% once at printing press. It seems to make the most sense if shooting for a religious victory.. its almost OP how fast it spreads.

In V, Work Ethic capped at 15%. Doesn't state a cap here, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Anyway, even a 10% bonus is welcome.

It doesn't appear to be capped in my experience. I can confirm I've seen bonuses in the mid-20s during the lategame. It's like having Ruhr Valley in every populous city. The main downside is that it does very little in the crucial early game, which is a downside, don't get me wrong. Still, in the midgame, you can probably get around 10% in your best cities which isn't insignificant.

For me it is completely situational. For example, when I've played Egypt and had a bunch of flood plains, I chose the +1 Production for Marsh/Floodplains... ended up having a killer capital. When I see a map with lots of Animal Husbandry spots, I go for the +1 Culture... this can be epic for getting through your Civics quickly. If you are going for a Religious victory and have lots of stone near you, the Stone Circles can even be useful. Me, I don't like Divine Spark anymore, completely useless after the early game... and the way I play, I always get a Religion anyway, so nertz to that one.

As alluded to in other threads, science victory is now really "production victory." Work Ethic is therefore a fantastic choice for a science player.

Tithe isn't nearly as good as civ5 tithe because there's so much more money to be made with a commercial focus and the related policy cards. I will still take it when playing say, Arabia.

The ones that boost faith production seem to be pretty worthless after the age of theocracies comes to an end.

Work Ethic is a strong late-game bonus. It's also nice that, unlike the follower beliefs that grant bonus housing or amenities, you don't need to have a holy site in every city to get full benefit. That's important because unless you're going for a religious victory, you almost certainly don't want a holy site in every city. Russia and Arabia are the only two exceptions to that I can think of.

I am not a big Fan of the Followers beliefs especially. Needs another non Holy Site dependant beliefs to give something other than Work Ethic and Jesuit Education. I do like Religious communities though if i plan on having a few. I pretty much always take the cheaper Missionairies and Apostles and Tithe as far as Founder Beliefs go and honestly what ever faith Building is left, they are all pretty trash. The Mosque is probably the best of the bunch being that you are not obliged to have holy sites everywhere The rest of em are not worth the holy site to be able to build em.

@ Caius... India as well, for the Follower belief stacking. Feed the World plus Religious Communities plus the Amenity one is Synergistic as all Hell :)

Depends if this religion is meant for me or to spread across the world.
For instance I like the ±faith per foreign city and the ‰production, but not together. If I want to spread my religion, the ±per city is nice and you can reach 300faith per turn easily. Yet I don't want to give production bonus to the AI. It can turn out to be a colossal mistake at higher difficulty levels where the AI is already boosted.
So if I want production, I keep my religion to myself and only use religious unit in a defensive setting.

I realize tis not as good as in Civ 5 with more sources of Gold, but I still go Tithe. I like gold and its a fun bonus.

Top Bottom