1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Your promise broken"

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by RedRover57, Oct 26, 2016.

1. RedRover57

RedRover57 Emperor

Can someone explain this? I have no military unit within 3 tiles from Gandhi's border, yet I somehow broke my promise to remove troops from near his border. He complained about my troops a number of turns back when I was fighting Spain near Jakarta. At that time Spain owned Jakarta, but I subsequently took it in a peace deal (thinking that I could liberate it, but did not get that option). I then sold Jakarta to Gandhi, because it would have been my 9th city and I only want 8 (for amenity reasons). I moved my troops as fast as I could back to my own territory, but I still received this diplomatic hit, which is unfortunate because I have been trying to get a friendship with Gandhi. Is diplomacy this borked?

2. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

The Musket next to Spanish trader and units next to your capital. They are all within 3 tiles from Gandhi's border.

3. King_Course

King_Course Prince

Completely lame mechanic. It's one thing to promise not to attack, but the Civs shouldn't dictate where I put my troops. I often settle encampments towards borders and on hills, and make a defensive position there. Then being told to fak of by some dumb Civ.

Thing is, the devs seemingly don't want you to war, demanding an affable and obedient playstyle from you. It results in the complete opposite, as "promises" are broken and chain denounciations makes you not care.

Ryika and criminal like this.
  4. RedRover57

RedRover57 Emperor

If you have to be 4 tiles away that's a bit ridiculous. Plus there should be no penalty at all if you are within your own borders. I've had the AI forward settle right on my border and then call me out for my defensive troops being too close. Hopefully this will get fixed in a future patch because the AI is way too sensitive about troop movement.

Tchuli, Elhoim, Nathair and 5 others like this.
  5. andydtoma

andydtoma Chieftain

Do the scouts count in this matter ? What are exactly troops ?

6. RedRover57

RedRover57 Emperor

I don't believe that scouts count as troops. At least I haven't had the AI complain about scouts being too close. But a single military troop, like a musket or crossbow can sometimes get them to tell you to move. And it is almost guaranteed that you will have the -3 modifier for "troop movement near their borders" with every civ for basically the entire game.

I'm trying to play peaceful, but the AI really makes me want to go domination every game.

TaylorItaly and Flak Fox like this.
  7. lamaros

lamaros Warlord

I've found provided you keep a decent sized army around the AI will rarely war against you, even on Deity.

8. atomfenrir

atomfenrir Chieftain

I think that's exactly the mechanic the devs use to encourage war, actually - it's almost impossible to please all the civs all the time and those negative modifiers inevitably end with DOW

9. ScorpionTDC

ScorpionTDC Chieftain

They seem to. I have 100% gotten negative Diplo modifier for troops near borders when the only thing buy the Civ is a scout

10. Lord Khorak

Lord Khorak Chieftain

"Stay away from my borders, player, you aggressive scum."
    *immediately settles cities directly on the player's borders*

petertr2000, skyclad, Nathair and 2 others like this.
  11. andydtoma

andydtoma Chieftain

OK, scouts are troops. But I feel that the complain is about stationed troops. If we keep moving the troops, does it trigger the penalty ?

12. mnf

mnf King

Not only that. I've tested in a few games, when your border is right up against the AI border, putting just one strong unit on the border in an Encampment sometimes is enough to get the AI ask you if you're declaring war. And if you answer you're only passing through and don't move your unit away, you are breaking a promise to move troops away from his border. It makes absolutely no sense. It just creates micro-managing tasks where you now have to skim through your whole border every few turns just to see if the AI is getting ready to attack you, in which case you can put your troops in place.

But then the AI will ask if you want war, and if you move your units away, the AI declares. It's just garbage game logic that eventually make people go to war because it's just not worth it to keep peace anymore.

13. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Isn't there an option to just ignore them?

This also annoyed me in 5, why can't we do the same thing back? On a similar note can we ask them to not settle near us ?

14. Magil

Magil Monarch

It is rather frustrating that the AI gets irritated if there are two scouts on their borders, demands I remove them and I suffer a diplomatic hit if I don't keep all of my units (including SCOUTS for goodness sake) multiple hexes away from my border, yet meanwhile Brazil rings my borders with warriors for turn after turn on end and there was no diplomatic demand I could make to tell him to move them.

SummerStorm and Nathair like this.
  15. LordByron

LordByron Chieftain

Happened to me also.
    We had free passage And ghandi had something like 4 units around my capital.

Its either a bug or a broken mechanic.

16. Stacked_Deck

Stacked_Deck Chieftain

Given how often I've stolen builders with scouts I think the AI is right to be wary about them hanging about. I'd still like the option to make the same demand though, it'd also be neat if refusing the demand led to a CB.

17. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

Proximity to their border shouldnt matter as long as they are withing your own border. Sure, be a bit mad because of close borders. But dont tell me to move my units away from my own lands.

fatgordy, SummerStorm and Nathair like this.
  18. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

This is doing my nut, Saladin settled right next to me so our borders butt up, my encampment is on the border and I can't put a unit in it. He now seems to get annoyed that my units are now 1 tile further in to my own territory. I understand some of the basic reasoning, but this should not apply if the units are within your own borders, defensively. He has already dow because I founded a religion. What's more I can't complain about where all his units are. This diplomacy business has never been right, as soon as I send one missionary to an AI city I get a complaint, but when I have 4 or 5 around mine, I can't say a think. This is all fixed to goad you in to dow, so that it can hit you with a warmonger penalty, now that's what I call fair.

19. Valmighty

Valmighty Warlord

It's amazing how this had been a huge problem in civ5 and they continue to make it appear again in civ6

20. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

I had a similar problem. I converted one of Norway's cities, then promised him that I'd stop. I never converted another city, but he converted a bunch of mine, and then I got the "promise broken" notification. It's total BS.

Civ V had this same nonsense, but it was (mostly) fixed. It's too bad that it's back. :(

sanchopanda likes this.