Your Reading Habits?

My problem is I don't feel like I retain or analyze enough subtleties when I just read, but I'm not a very good notetaker or underliner or whatever. Thinking about writing about what I read perhaps.

If I really need to retain something or I am struggling to adequately comprehend it I absolutely have to write about what I am reading. I think you put it correctly that you write "about" what you read not just write what you read. (Not sure if that's what you mean but I like the distinction anyway).

My notes aren't really just spewing out what I read, instead I try to condense key points or whatever into my own words, or condense a large amount of material into a short synopsis that I feel accurately captures what I just read. Just reading and writing isn't enough, the "thinking about it and putting it in your own words" part is what does the trick, for me at least. This usually happens in the margins of what I am reading so I don't waste much time.

If I really need to retain something or I am struggling to adequately comprehend it I absolutely have to write about what I am reading. I think you put it correctly that you write "about" what you read not just write what you read. (Not sure if that's what you mean but I like the distinction anyway).

My notes aren't really just spewing out what I read, instead I try to condense key points or whatever into my own words, or condense a large amount of material into a short synopsis that I feel accurately captures what I just read. Just reading and writing isn't enough, the "thinking about it and putting it in your own words" part is what does the trick, for me at least. This usually happens in the margins of what I am reading so I don't waste much time.
Writing things out always helped me to remember them too, hence why it was a big part of studying. I'd usually start off with a large set of notes from reading the textbook, then I'd just read the notes and write new, smaller set. I'd do that once or twice, and end up with just a page or two containing key items. I'd use a highlighter or different colored pen in my notes, but never in my textbooks.

My reading habits? Read, then translate. Read, then translate. Read, then translate. And so forth.

Take notes?
Just read?
Underline stuff?
Do little write-ups on what you just read?
Depends on the book? If so, how?

Mostly I just read.

I tend not to mark-up good books, as that tends to ruin their re-readability.

Highlighting only keywords usually works best for journal reprints, followed with some margin notes.

If I really need to draw information from the book for later, I'll type up a logical outline in Word.

I write down some quotations in my journal, and at times a reaction to those quotations if I feel like it.

I also keep a book-blog in which I do informal comments or more formal reviews of the books I read on a weekly basis. I'm an active reader (2-3 books a week), so I stay busy reading and writing. Keeps me from losing hours in front of the TV or some certain PC games....

I assume you mean reading for educational basis?

i almost never read true books. i am literate (in theory, since i can read just fine) but i completely rejected reading. having books forced down me at school made me decide that.

i almost never read true books. i am literate (in theory, since i can read just fine) but i completely rejected reading. having books forced down me at school made me decide that.
Do you refuse to eat food because your parents made you eat something you didn't like?

If it is an analytical text Such as Chemistry or math then I will read at night right before I go to bed. After reading my mind will wonder over the material as I try to fall asleep.

I always underline and write notes. Fiction or non-fiction.

If it is an analytical text Such as Chemistry or math then I will read at night right before I go to bed. After reading my mind will wonder over the material as I try to fall asleep.

I agree this works. I believe firmly that we process information while sleeping.

A fringe benfit of reading analytical/technical/scientific stuff is that it cures not being able to fall asleep.

I just read books.

Sometimes I consider highlighting, but I simply loathe writing inside my books.

Top Bottom