1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Reading Habits?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Fifty, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Ulyaoth

Ulyaoth Emperor

Yeah but teachers always tell you 'rah don't study before sleep it doesn't work' Yet it's always been the best for me whenever I've actually needed to study something. A quick refresher read in the morning and I'm good.

2. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

This is basically like me. I had to make a concerted effort finishing up uni to actively annotate and organize the literature I was using. The best I could do for articles was print them off, highlight important points/leads, and highlight the references in the back that was associated with that particular item. I then coded the article as a whole and each of the references in the back according to the theme(s) they related to in the article. That way I could remember why I was searching for those additional references when I go back to a paper I hadn't read in a month. I could also scan by theme through my pile of papers if I wanted to.

It was a friggen nightmare, and if I could do it again I would try to set up a database of some sort. It went against my every instinct, as I just enjoy passively reading and then performing based on what I memorized. That is how I got through 90% of uni.

3. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

It's not so much that you don't do well on the test as you are less likely to retain what you read, and more likely to just forget it as soon as the test is over.

4. wicshade

wicshade crazy, militant farmer

Cramming the night before does not work. If you are studying difficult material you need a consistent and well paced routine. I will read for one to two hours in a sitting; I lose focus after that point. Also there is a big difference between rote memorization and learning concepts.