Your thoughts on this.

Amiee, if you wanted to post the pictures Lucy posted you could have quoted Lucy's post, copied everything out of it except the quote tags, and then pasted that as a reply in the other forum. They don't need to know where you got them from. As for the test of someone else's posts, I'm unclear of what the ethics of that would be since it is not an attributed publication. But like others say you can get the gist and the sources of other people's opinions and write them in your own words.

Yeah, his thread was beaten by some other thread on a completely different forum

If you want to make a point then link to a news site or wikipedia or some blog or something. Nobody on their site cares about what a CivFanatics forums user LucyDuke thinks about this

If you're disappointed that I won't click on a link to an old man singer forum, then sorry. I just do not find it substantial.

(Like others have said, don't link, just make your own post using the bits you find relevant.)

(Who here actually cares about the political compass? :confused:)

On political debates on the Tom Petty message board, more than once I've posted links to CFC posts to make a point.

Reminds me of this: Find an OP written by aneeshm. Google some distinct phrase in it, and you'll see he has made the same OP on multiple other random forums.

Anyway, this guy is right, even if what he is saying sounds odd for not knowing anything about CFC, but that can be forgiven. Well, technically he's wrong, for having anything to do with Tom Petty in the first place, but he's less wrong than you. It's incredibly foolish of you to think that just linking forum discussion on a non-pertinent topic is good debate tactics. It can also be intellectually dishonest in a number of ways. If you wanted to do something meaningful, you could just cite the actual articles/sources cited by a poster here and leave out the appeal to CFC being better than this other forum.

He's got a point. But he is on a Tom Petty Forum making that point, so it definately lessons the effect of his point.

Either way, instead of linking CFC, just steal the arguments you think are good to use on the Tom Petty site.

Tom Petty... as in Tom Petty and the Heartbrakers?

I didn't even know that music sites had any PURPOSE for forums... much less off-topic purposes far more important than anything discernable here...

I could have swore that civilization video games drew in crowds of overread geeks, history-philes, scholars who knew more about books than getting girlfriends, and fanatical "I'm always right because I do nothing but surf the web" webheads. I didn't know that Tom Petty fans have a "better" reputation for intellectual snobbery attraction.

Tom Petty... as in Tom Petty and the Heartbrakers?

I didn't even know that music sites had any PURPOSE for forums... much less off-topic purposes far more important than anything discernable here...

I could have swore that civilization video games drew in crowds of overread geeks, history-philes, scholars who knew more about books than getting girlfriends, and fanatical "I'm always right because I do nothing but surf the web" webheads. I didn't know that Tom Petty fans have a "better" reputation for intellectual snobbery attraction.

Quote Hsinchu over on their forums, aimee :)

So posting an argument from a forum dedicated to a crappy pop singer (no offense) is somehow more legitimate than an argument from a forum dedicated to a video game?

The reason I linked to the post is because IMG tags are disabled on it. For some reason they work in signatures but not posts.

Also, I'm often rubbish at words, so that's why I link to posts.

The reason I linked to the post is because IMG tags are disabled on it. For some reason they work in signatures but not posts.

Well, is there a size limit on sigs? Cause, you know, you can always post them there ;)

That guy sounds like a real . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. My first thought is you should tell him to . .. .. .. . off, but since that rarely works properly you'll have to be a bit more articulate. First explain to him about the common misuse of decade old photos on piss ant blogs claiming millions in attendance to the mockery of a protest, and explain that if he wants to see how wacko the groups attracted to the sham were he only need to click the link to see a post with some actual pictures of those signs. You might have to explain to him HOW they are wacko though, he doesn't seem very bright. That also might be more time than this is worth so try if you want, and try not to let the idiot bother you too much. Feel free to quote me on anything you want.

Guys, regarding the idea to "invade" the Tom Petty forum... just don't.

I say this not because I care about Tom Petty. I don't, but I do care about the reputation of THIS forum, and Thunderfall's reputation for running a friendly, civil forum where most of us get along most of the time.

It's just rude at the best of times to do "drive-by posting" or "drive-by spamming" on another forum. It can lead to very nasty interforum warfare and feuds, and do we really need that? I don't think so.

@Aimee: It's a compliment that you think posts at CFC worth quoting/linking as a support for your opinions on other forums, but please remember that it's best to ASK THE POSTER IF HE/SHE MINDS BEING QUOTED OFF-SITE. The reason is that some people (not you; I know you wouldn't do this) enjoy twisting other peoples' words around to mean very different things from what was originally intended. Sometimes this can result in the original person being quoted gaining an unfair reputation around the 'Net for opinions that he/she never actually said. And once the damage is done, it's difficult to impossible to undo.

So if you want to quote somebody from here (or anywhere), you should ask permission first. :)

Guys, regarding the idea to "invade" the Tom Petty forum... just don't.

I say this not because I care about Tom Petty. I don't, but I do care about the reputation of THIS forum, and Thunderfall's reputation for running a friendly, civil forum where most of us get along most of the time.

It's just rude at the best of times to do "drive-by posting" or "drive-by spamming" on another forum. It can lead to very nasty interforum warfare and feuds, and do we really need that? I don't think so.
You really need to get out more if you thought I was serious about that.

You really need to get out more if you thought I was serious about that.
:rolleyes:

Just cautioning anybody who might be entertaining such an idea... After all, we wouldn't want anybody from another forum to do that here, would we?

:rolleyes:

Just cautioning anybody who might be entertaining such an idea... After all, we wouldn't want anybody from another forum to do that here, would we?
:dunno:
I'd just leave until they were gone. I'm bored, not addicted.

I support the invasion of the Tom Petty forum, and will send a horde of zombies at once.

Top Bottom