1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Your two favorite Civs combine, what is the outcome?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Chekko, Oct 5, 2020.

1. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

OK let me actually put some thought into this. I'm going to try not to make it sort of balanced. It won't be as good at polding as the dutch are, or as good at mountains as the inca are, but a bit of both. It's kind of funny to put the notoriously flat netherlands with the mountain civ, but I love both their tile improvements! I'll come up with proper names for these things later.

Leader ability: Domestic trade routes provide +1 food for every mountain in the origin city and +1 production for every lake or oasis tile adjacent to a mountain in the origin city. Cities that have a trade route passing through a mountain via a terrace polder recieve +2 loyalty.

Civ ability: Lake and coast tiles next to mountains gain +1 faith and +1 food. Districts gain +2 adjacency if they are adjacent to both a mountain and a fresh water source (lake, oasis, river, some natural wonders). Recon units can disembark and embark without using any movement points. Can build canals on hill and canals are unlocked at construction.

Unique unit: Replaces quadrireme. Can shoot twice like the Incan unique unit and also has +1 move. +1 range but only when on lake. Costs 30% more hammers to build.

Unique improvement: Terraced polder. Unlocked at irrigation. Can be built in any lake tile or oasis tile (I know you can't usually put things on oasis tiles!). Can only be built if the tile is next to at least two hills, or at least two mountains, or at least one of each. +2 gold, +1 production and +1 food. Gains +1 faith for every adjacency mountain. Gives +1 food for every adjacency terrace polder. +2 culture on conservation. If city doesn't have fresh water, provides fresh water, like an aqueduct. Allows units to go through adjacent mountains, like the mountain tunnel.

So... the city has ended up being focused on mountainous lakes. I guess it's... switzerland?

KayAU likes this.
  2. Siddharth Venkatesh

Siddharth Venkatesh Warlord

Maybe Nepal? Although a naval UU for Nepal wouldn't work.

3. Nassim

Nassim Chieftain

I had a lot of fun (and one of my easiest games ever) with the Gauls, and I think Court of Love is still my favorite mechanic in the game, so that will be Aliénor d'Aquitaine leading the Gauls for me. With all that production, I'd probably just try to hoard wonders.

4. Naeshar

Naeshar Warlord

Norpain: Philipp Hardrada
    LA: Thunderbolt of Escorial: Naval melee can coastal raid, all raiding can produce Science or Culture; better Inquisitors
    CA: Knarr Fleet: Can enter ocean tiles upon researching Shipbuilding; can form fleets and armadas at Mercantilism; ignores embarkation cost for all land units.
    UI: Stave Mission: Improvement to be built on flat lands or woods; gets adjacency bonus from Holy Site (f) and Campus (s).
    UU: Conquiserker: replaces musketman; has additional movement and strength in territory following another faith, converts cities to majority religion when capturing them, or is adjacent.

I thought this would be crazy, but is pretty decent. About the same power level as Byzantium, right?

8housesofelixir and Socrates99 like this.
  5. Leucarum

Leucarum King

Gaulada: Culture from tundra mines and building civilian units?

6. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Being a resident of the Northern United States, I like the idea of permanently erasing our northern border and forming 'A More Perfect Union' between Teddy Roosevelt's Bull Moose Party and Wilfrid Laurier's Liberals (the Liberal Moose Party?). As it happens, irl, they were in office at the same time, so they must have known each other. I've no idea whether they got along. In terms of in-game effects, I don't see anything that could be called OP. iirc, Lumber Mills and Camps do not affect the tile's Appeal and they don't remove the Woods (although I think they do prevent using those tiles in a National Park), and Ice Hockey Rinks work with Bull Moose Teddy's "Antiquities & Parks", in raising the Appeal of surrounding tiles by 2. They're both late-game Civs, which is an innate weakness, but they'd be generating large amounts of Diplomatic Favor, particularly in the late game.

7. IsabelBraganca

IsabelBraganca Chieftain

Give Pedro II Lavra and Cossacks. Insane gp generation and getting 20% back, plus the street carnival project.

8. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Another fun one would be PersStralia.
    -You want appeal for district adjacency bonuses, which the Paridaeza gives you in spades
    -You like declaring surprise wars, and use them to liberate cities to give you production boosts. But you're also essentially immune to people declaring war on you, since you gain a huge bonus there too.
    -Anything that's not a district or Paridaeza is a pasture/outback station

Zaarin likes this.
  9. Aurelesk

Aurelesk Prince

Frederick Barbarossa of the Greek: Each government starts with one extra Military and Wildcard policy slot. Automaticly denounce you when you are suzerain of a City-State, conquer a City-State, complete a City-State's quest, are at war with a City-State, send an Envoy to a City-State, have a unit in a 10-tiles radius of a City-State or scroll over a City-State.

The best of all,
    amazingly forgotten by everyone,
    and I am still wondering why nobody talked about this incredible combination...

The marvolous Mvemba a Nzinga of the Arabian: Instantly crash the game when the next-to-last Great Prophet is claimed, as the game does not know if you should have it because the leader ability prevent you to have one.

mitsho and 8housesofelixir like this.
  10. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

The most obvious thing coming to my mind is taking whole Macedonian set and replace Alex with Gaul guy.

Experience +culture and science from building units in Basilikoi Paides boosted by cards

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  11. Piranga

Piranga Warlord

I'll have to think longer on my mix, but this should just be one of the features of the expansion. It would be fun to use once in a while. Going back to civ 4 I used this feature all the time.

Foulweather likes this.
  12. KayAU

KayAU King

At the moment, I think my favorites are the Maya and the Inca. The resulting civ: The Mayanca! I guess I'll just pick two abilities from each civ:

Leader Ability: Qhapaq Ñan (Inca)
    Civ Ability: Mayab (Maya)
    Unique Infrastructure: Terrace Farm (Inca)
    Unique Unit: Hul'che (Maya)

Actually, this would be pretty good, and the cities would become very, very tall. The Inca leader ability is a straightforward one that gets you early tunnels and increased food from domestic trade routes, as opposed to the Mayan tradeoff ability which makes you better in a 6 tile radius from the capital, and worse outside. I'll sacrifice the Incan ability to work mountain tiles in favour of the The Mayan one which gets me more housing and gold from (Terrace) Farms, as well as amenities from luxuries next to the city center. For unique infrastructure, while I like the Observatory, it doesn't really work well with mountains, and the Terrace Farm will synergize with the Mayan civ ability. Finally, the Maya easily has the better unique unit, so Mayan improved Archers it is.

EDIT:
    I though it might be interesting to invert the choices, and see how that looks. So, introducing the Mayanca's bitter rivals: The Incaya!

Leader Ability: Ix Mutal Ajaw (Maya)
    Civ Ability: Mit'a (Inca)
    Unique Infrastructure: Observatory (Maya)
    Unique Unit: Warak'aq (Inca)

Well, I think this is less good. We get Lady Six Sky's increased city yields and combat strength within the 6 tile radius, as well as the malus giving lower yields for cities outside it. While this isn't terrible for the hybrid civ, the proximity of mountains is going to be an added challenge when trying to place your core cities. As for the civ ability, that is now going to be really anemic without any Terrace Farms. You can work mountains for 2 production, and that's it, unless you get Earth Goddess for an additional 2 faith, or happen to be neighbours with the Mayanca, and they give you a couple of Mountain tiles with a bit of food. The Observatory is a good UI, but you better hope you're not up in the mountains, as it depends on plantations and farmland for adjacency. Of course, farms are not as good for the Incaya, as they don't get any extra housing or gold from them. Finally, the unique unit is the Inca's Skirmisher replacement. It's okay, but not nearly as good as the Hul'che.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  13. JJOne

JJOne Prince

Ejército Patriota and Raven King for the quickest units in the whole civ 6 world.

14. Vargas1

Vargas1 Chieftain

Not sure it would be fun per se, but Gorea would be interesting:

Build a Seowon in every city (+4 base science), surround it with mines that give you +1 culture, +1 science, and a culture bomb, and otherwise keep up with culture by cranking out units that are two tech eras ahead of everyone else.

15. Banazir864

Banazir864 Warlord

Mansalik leads Sahara

Aksumite Jeli (UA): City Centers gain +1 Faith and +1 Food from every adjacent Desert and Desert Hills tile, as well as +1 Faith from each improved resource tile in the city for each copy of that resource the city owns. May purchase Archaeologists, Archeological Museums, and Commercial Hub buildings with Faith. Mines receive -1 Production and +4 Gold. -30% Production towards buildings and units.

An African Solomon (LUA): Saharan cities founded on Hills receive Science and Culture equal to 15% of their Faith output. +4 Combat Strength for all units when fighting on Hills. International Trade Routes gain +1 Gold for every flat Desert tile and +0.5 Faith for each resource in the origin city. Entering a Golden Age permanently grants +1 Trade Route capacity.

Mountains of Gold (LA): Tries to settle cities on Hills and build up Gold, and likes those that also focus on Gold while avoiding settling near Hills. Dislikes civilizations that settle around Hills but have a weak Gold output.

Oromo Cavalry (UU): Saharan unique Medieval era light cavalry unit that replaces the Courser. Stronger and greater sight than the Courser. Receives no Movement penalty from moving in Hills.

Mandekalu Cavalry (UU): Saharan unique Medieval era heavy cavalry unit that replaces the Knight. Trader units are immune to being plundered if they are within 4 tiles of a Mandekalu Cavalry and on a land tile. Combat victories provide Gold equal to 100% that unit's base Combat Strength.

Suguba (UD): Commercial Hub replacement that receives a major adjacency bonus from Holy Sites rather than Harbors. In addition to the Commercial Hub's regular bonuses, provides a 20% discount on all Gold and Faith purchases in its city.

Rock-Hewn Church (UI): +1 Faith, plus an additional +1 Faith for every adjacent Mountain and Hills tile. Provides Tourism after researching Flight. +1 Appeal. Can only be pillaged (never destroyed) by natural disasters. Cannot be adjacent to another Rock-Hewn Church.

Strategy: Focuses on using trade routes and terrain to generate large amounts of gold and faith, which can be used for most production, as well as for extra science and culture.

16. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

China+USA gives tiles with insane yield.

For strongest on 1v1, I guess it is USA+Sumeria. War Cart with 35 strength is invulnerable.

For normal games, the strongest may be Mongolia+France.

17. Galvatron

Galvatron Warlord

I think the most Greek Russian thing would be to make the name ludicrously long:

Acrolavropolisovinichnovski

Zaarin likes this.
  18. Cpt Chaos

Cpt Chaos Chieftain

I'll go with Ottomongolia. Combine Mongolia's diplo visibility from trade posts, and double combat strength boost from diplo visibility, with The Ottoman's Great Turkish Bombard ability and Grand Vizier to get Ibrahim. Catapults that can one-shot medieval walls... Obviously OP nonsense but would be fun.