1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

YouTube Music

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Rambuchan, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Super Moderator

[KaeptnOvi] I can't think what possessed Rammstein to try The Model - I have to say that's dire compared to the original. But each to his own!

Check post 50 again!

Oh, a song?

Here's an amazing performance by the man who, to all intents and purposes, invented the way the electric guitar is played. T-Bone Walker was one of the most original musicians of the twentieth century: he combined traditional Texas country blues with sophisticated swinging 40s big bands, threw in his revolutionary electric guitar licks, and created a completely new sound. BB King often admits to being little more than a T-Bone Walker imitator, and of course through him, Chuck Berry (hugely influenced by Walker), and a host of others, this style of playing passed into rock and beyond. If you want to know where Hendrix and Slash got it from originally, this is the place to start...

Don't Throw Your Love On Me So Strong - T-Bone Walker

See how he moves his hands even as each note fades, as if drawing them out of the air itself - the man is an artist.

2. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

sounds pretty good, I'd go with links to posts so people can jump quickly to the explanations and more details :)

well, whomp did..kinda :)

3. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

I waded through a mountain of clips and came away with two of the British pop-punk band Snuff.

Too Late
    Chocs Away

4. -0blivion-

-0blivion- Musically inclined

5. Plotinus

[-oblivion-] Fantastic Animals track. I have a recording somewhere of Leadbelly singing House of the Rising Sun, but their version was better! Surely one of the most exciting organ solos in pop. And Eric Burdon's delivery to the camera is fantastic - such authority at just 23.

Here are some more British Invasion clips...

The Mighty Quinn - Manfred Mann

I'm Going Home - Ten Years After (at Woodstock!)

Whatcha Gonna Do About It? - The Small Faces

Oh Well - Peter Green

Nights In White Satin - The Moody Blues

6. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

7. -0blivion-

-0blivion- Musically inclined

@ Plotinus - Sweet tracks, I love The Moody Blues.
    @ Bartleby - An ofted used track by troops in Vietnam I recall.

May as well stick a track in, its New Wave band Flock of Seagulls, a Classic.

Flock of Seagulls - And I Ran

8. Rambuchan

Rambuchan The Funky President

I made a start on putting a list together in the OP. It's going to take a while to finish it, and there are some clips posted that I can't quite decide what genres to put into, but do please keep hitting us with more clips!

-----

Not enough HIP-HOP & RAP going on here. So here are some old skool classics:

The Adventure of Grandmaster Flash < Vintage Turntablism and some badass breakdancing. :yup:

Run DMC ~ It's Like That (music video) < More wild break dancing.

Tone Loc ~ Funky Cold Medina (music video)

Tone Loc ~ Wild Thing (music video)

N.W.A. ~ Straight Outta Compton (music video)

N.W.A. ~ Express Yourself (music video)
    "I'm expressing with my full capabilities, and now I'm livin' in correctional facilities."

9. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

The Byrds-Turn Turn Turn
    Originally by Pete Seeger, they do a nice cover of it, possibly integrating the only Bible tracts that I ever found nice.

Johnny Fu**ing Cash-Man in Black
    Awesome song, and how everyone should live their lives.

Bob Dylan-Subterranean Homesick Blues
    Iconic song, iconic video, iconic guy.

Jefferson Airplane-Somebody To Love
    Awesome song, awith Grace Slick :love:

Alice Cooper-Poison
    Not work Safe.
    AAwesome song with a good video, but I couldn't find the cesnored version, so there's some stuff you might not want your kids to see.

Blues Brothers-Rawhide
    From the Blues Brothers film, the genre-defying cover of Rawhide.

10. soul_warrior

soul_warrior Termite!

11. Rambuchan

Ahem :blush:

Can't do them all mate! Excellent contributions. Going to check those out pronto!

edit:

And how, may I ask dear souly, could you forget this guy? :nono:

Afrika Bambaataa - Just Get Up and dance

Afrika Bambaataa & James Brown - Unity

[0.52] Clip from his Zulu Nation Parties

12. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Genre:
    Chicago, its neighborhoods and the music.
    Buddy Guy playing a song everyone can sing. Man, can he strum a guitar!
    Sweet Home Chicago5:44
    Junior Wells on the harp and Buddy Guy on lead at Theresa&#8217;s Lounge on the Westside of Chicago.
    Cryin&#8217; Shame 3:44

Chicago&#8217;s Smashing Pumpkins
    Tonight, Tonight 4:30

From my hometown of Oak Park The Freddy Jones Band playing acoustic at a radio station.
    Daydream 5:13

13. Plotinus

Don't let me bore you with too much blues, but here's one that had to go in. This is roots of a different kind.

Remember I said that all modern guitar comes from T-Bone Walker? Well, this is where he got it from. Lonnie Johnson (1894-1970) was a giant of 1920s music. He played with all the jazz greats of the era - Duke Ellington, Eddie Lang, Louis Armstrong - and made plenty of jazzy blues records of his own. He was famous for both his beautifully clear diction (in an age when you couldn't make out the words on most records) and his incredibly fast and accurate guitar style. He was extremely influential on the more sophisticated end of the blues market for decades. He was also a big influence on Robert Johnson (no relation), who recorded a couple of songs in imitation of his style. And when T-Bone Walker went electric, the style of Lonnie Johnson and his imitators was his main model.

He fell out of favour in the 1930s and 40s and ended up mopping floors as a janitor. Thankfully he was rediscovered in the 1960s - although his sophisticated style wasn't really to the tastes of the folksy stuff which was fashionable then, and he wasn't playing as well as he had in his heyday. But still, here's a clip of him in action in the mid-60s, doing pretty damned well given that the backing band consists of Chicago session musicians more used to playing with Muddy Waters and his ilk (that's Willie Dixon on bass!). This is a beautiful song, but the really nice thing about it is that he just looks so happy to be performing it.

Another Night To Cry - Lonnie Johnson

14. Rambuchan

Now here's a vintage Reggae boy (who passed away a few months ago). He is often seen as one of the frontrunners in the creation of Ska, reggae ska that is, not punk ska, which was influenced by his music but isn't the same. Another to look to for such innovation is Ernest Ranglin, who was Bob Marley's guitar teacher and is one of the few musicians around who blends jazz and reggae. Anyway....

Desmond Dekker

The Israelites

....years on from that....Rude Boy Train and there's also the infectous Get Up Edina!! (cuts short).
    Pity they don't have vintage clips of him performing these, the synths in this gig are a bit cheesy. But not cheesy enough to hold him down!

Nice old UK shot music video for Please Do not Bend.

Here's a British band and tune influenced by Desmond Dekker...

The Specials - Ghost Town (original music video).

----

Plotinus: Do please keep boring us with the Blues.

15. ironduck

ironduck Deity

16. Plotinus

More blues coming up, then.

Women don't come much more powerful than this. I don't know much about Sippie Wallace, except that she was a star during the heyday of "classic blues" in the 1920s, when far more female blues artists were recorded than men. Here she is in the 1960s still belting them out, thanks to Bonnie Raitt, who looked her up, discovered that she wasn't dead after all, and took her to a record company. She is alarmingly reminiscent of my girlfriend's mother, who would probably approve of this song.

Women Be Wise - Sippie Wallace

17. Rambuchan

Interesting choice of song there Plotinus.

Here's another powerful woman. YouTube is sadly short on clips of her, especially vintage ones, but these are two good examples of her style. If any of you have seen or have a copy of 'No Direction Home: Bob Dylan - A Martin Scorsese Picture' then there is one amazing performance of her's in some vintage footage there.

Odetta

Careless Love

The Midnight Special

You can see from that brief wiki paragraph why Bob Dylan mentioned her influence in his interviews with Scorsese.

18. Left

Left Real Game Out Here

19. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Genre: Grunge
    and from my persepective mostly certainly has not been replicated this decade.

We haven&#8217;t given the other grunge bands of the 90&#8217;s their proper due so here&#8217;s a few.

Stone Temple Pilots
    Man, I just love this song.
    Interstate Love Song 3:33
    Poignant song. The lyrics are inspired by a woman kidnapped and murdered. The song is more about a metaphor for a lost, obsessive relationship.
    Plush acoustic 3:34

Cracker
    For my Euro friends and my angel in black named Sarka who I met in Prague 5 years ago. :mischief:
    Euro Trash Girl 9:44

Smashing Pumpkins
    Bullet with Butterfly wings 4:17

Soundgarden
    Black hole sun 5:18

Pearl Jam
    Black "live" 7:41

20. De Lorimier

De Lorimier North American Scum

Some more.

I'll go back to my roots, to the land of Moli&#232;re, France! Belgium has also been a great source for music over the years! :goodjob:

Here's a great-looking clip, out of their 1993 album Un jour dans notre vie, Savoure le Rouge. (4:20)

This clip is from Top of the Pops in 1978. Plastic performs his hit single &#199;a plane pour moi! (2:47)

I tried to find videos or performances of some of their better songs, but all I could find is the video for their 1998 hit Tomber la chemise, but that's still good! :goodjob: (4:19)

I could have picked a Mano negra video, or one of many of Manu's song. The guy is a great, much like Beck. Here's Merry Blues! (3:41)

I went looking for Boris Vian videos and was sad to see that there's nothing of great value on youtube of this genius. Luckily, there's more love for Vian's contemporary, Jacques Brel.

Ne me quitte pas, is probably Brel's most known song. Intense. (4:12)

Madeleine is my favorite song of Brel these days. I look like a freak in traffic when I sing this one! &#201;motions! (2:35)

This is fun! I'll do some Qu&#233;bec artists later.