Yuan Shu - Monarch.

MooFreaky

Meatbag Destroyer
So it's my first game back in the Mod for a while, so I have decided to do a bit of a story of my progression for the interest of anyone who wants to follow it. I will be posting the initial sections of my game retrospectively, as I am in 215 AD - but once caught up I intend to add images and whatnot. I will also space out the initial stages of the game (rather than doing 196 - 215 in one hit) so as to not scare people off with a wall of text. So I will make other posts later (and then add it to this OP also for ease's sake) so people can follow my progress, comment where I can improve and what they would have done etc.

Faction Selection

Choosing a faction is always an interesting prospect. I want someone who is going to be good fun, without being too overpowered (so there goes Sun Ce, Yuan Shao and Cao Cao), without being ridiculously weak (so no Meng Huo), someone who doesn't encourage boring gameplay (Liu Zhang and Shang Xie) and someone who doesn't have a character portrait that I really can't stand (Yun Baihu).

I figure that general dislike of Yuan Shu by the other factions will make it interesting, as it will force me to go to war regularly and will see how I cope with everyone wanting me dead. Whatever happens it should be great fun!

Analysis of the Starting Position

Spoiler Starting Area :

The first thing that comes to mind upon seeing Yuan Shu's starting position is 'Awesome!'. While some factions may have better locations, Yuan Shu has a fantastic mix of resources, rivers and defensibility.

Shou Chun is the only way in or out of my little area, meaning it is a great position to defend from, meaning my three other cities located south of there will be able to prosper safely.

Ru Nan, however, is more than a little isolated... Liu Biao to the west won't be much of a military threat; however, he has the potential to ruin Ru Nan with his love for culture. Furthermore, Chen is going to be both a militaristic and cultural threat, meaning that I could really struggle to keep Ru Nan productive enough to be able to supply defenders to keep it in my hands. The situation is even worse with Cao Cao just to the north... Steps need to be taken to safeguard Ru Nan.

The joy of a nice starting area, with 5 cities (4 that will form the core of my Empire), is short lived as I see that I have only a mediocre army, lead by a mediocre General in the form of Ji Ling. Furthermore my army is currently camped outside Chen (which it has no hope of capturing) and I am losing lots of money every turn.

The situation isn't improved when I have a look at my relationship with my neighbours. Sun Ce to the south and Cao Cao to the North West are both at peace with me, but hate me passionately and could move to strike at any moment. I foresee Cao Cao as the bigger threat, as Sun Ce has other factions down south to quell before he can turn his attentions my way. I am already at war with Liu Bei to the North East, meaning I have enemies all around. Fun.

To the direct west Liu Baio doesn't hate me, but he isn't really a big fan. To the direct North, Lu Bu has a similar attitude.

Turn 1 begins!

First things first, let's get some workers out here. Every city begins construction of a worker... I will need these guys if I am to get out of the economic crisis I am about to face. Losing a possible +1 city size for a few turns is satisfactory, as I need to be producing gold or I will fall a LONG way behind in research.

Next, any spare Honour Guard that I have are sent to Shou Chun to defend against the attack Liu Bei is sure to send my way.

My force around Chen will ensure that he cannot improve tiles, limiting the size and productivity of the city. I cannot let it grow if I am to keep Ru Nan in my possession. Plus the longer I can hold the city back the easier it will be to capture later.

Turn 2 I get an offer for Open Borders from Lu Bu. I know there is only a faint hope of him surviving, but I will at least start making positive relations just in case he survives. Plus it gives me a chance to send an Archer into his territory and watch the slaughter!

I also contact Liu Baio and get an Open Borders treaty there too. I plan to give him any extra resources I have (if I can't hock them elsewhere) to ensure good terms and give me a friend nearby.

Turn 3-4 sees the first engagements between Lu Bu and Cao Cao. Suddenly I get the new 'Cao Cao has been defeated'! I hear a loud scream and only then realise I am out of my seat cheering for Lu Bu as if I am at a football game. This message is quickly followed by 'Cao Cao has been killed in battle'. Silence. What? Is that real??
'Cao Cao has died. Xiahou Dun has succeeded him'.
There were long moments of silence, followed by many minutes of cheering and chanting Lu Bu's name. My dog took cover and looked at me rather quizzically as I ran around the living room cheering for Lu Bu and mocking the Tyrant Cao Cao.

My chants for the great Lu Bu soon turned to boos and hisses as the prick then got knocked off next turn by a vengeful Xiahou Dun. At least Cao Cao was dead, that was a victory I could proclaim. While I didn't directly do anything, I can't help but feel my agreement to Open Borders with Lu Bu gave him such a morale boost that he went and killed Cao Cao in my honour. As such I applauded myself and patted myself on the back for my brilliant strategic thinking.

Unfortunately my self indulgence was short lived as my Archer spotted the first of the pathetic Liu Bei's forces marching my way. The current plight faced by Lu Bu's successor Zhang Liao meant that Liu Bei could march straight through Lu Bu's territory and toward my capital, Shou Chun!! I was about to face my first big test; Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and Liu Bei would all be on me in a matter of turns.

My army laying siege to Chen was lifted and rushed toward Shou Chun, they would get there a couple turns before my enemy. My Archer (stuck deep within Lu Bu territory and BEHIND Liu Bei) would be able to use the friendly roads and sneak into my capitol the turn before Liu Bei would arrive.

Cao Cao is dead, Lu Bu is dead, Liu Bei is on my doorstep, the siege of Chen had been lifted and Zhang Liao (and Lu Bu's Clan) was soon to be destroyed...

I would have made peace ASAP with Liu Chong (he won't attack since he doesn't have enough units), send all my units around Chen to attack Xu Chang (Unification shrine!), make peace with the Cao clan after getting Chen Liu (if possible). Cities need more defenders so I would not have started workers in all of them (since units are built with food in corvee might as well make the best of it). Later on, with better tech and units (from more money and science that your 2 shrines produce), you can easily subdue Liu Chong, Liu Bei for his shrine and go all the way up to your half-brother Yuan Shao. Lu Bu is terrible at defending so as long as you take him by surprise he's no threat (and he can join you as a great general).
Sun Ce will never attack as long as you switch beliefs to please him (and declare on his current enemy) and put some defensive forces around your cities next to him...the AI is terrible at water attack.
Liu Biao is a wimp and almost never attacks. He can even vassalize to you later.
BTW, 1 or 2 crossbows will take care of Liu Bei's attacking force (crossbows deal collateral damage in this mod).
Some pictures would be nice.

I considered this, as I know that Cao Cao commits the vast majority of his forces to tackling Lu Bu; however, I consider it a bit of an exploit. I cannot see Cao Cao's armies from my position (other than those that were engaged with Lu Bu) and without knowing the scenario wouldn't know that his rear is open.

Furthermore, it was still a bit risky. If he diverted any of his cavalry to meet my force, he would wipe out my small force. That would then mean he could turn on me before I could build a force capable of withstanding him (as he followed through from Lu Bu), especially combined with Liu Bei.
If I had failed early the game would have been over immediately. As I don't like restarting the game (or reloading after a failed tactic - as that is too exploitative to me) that would have meant the end of my play as Yuan Shu and picking up with a different player.

I based my workers (rightly or wrongly) on the estimation that my forces could hold off Liu Bei without re-enforcements. So getting workers early would put me in a better position economically, having bigger payoffs later. Whether I was correct or not, that was my reasoning for the decision.

I will picture it up when I am up to where I am currently (as I am much further down the line) - though I may utilise the world builder to show what I am referring to.

The Battle for Shou Chun

It was Early November (ie Turn 16) when Liu Bei's forces arrived on the doorstep of Shou Chun (coincidentally it was also the turn that Zhang Liao of Lu Bu's Clan was wiped completely). Whatever the result this would be a decisive battle for the future of Central Eastern China. Victory here would let Liu Bei romp through my lands, giving him a powerful and defensible base of operations. Victory to Yuan Shu (woo! Go Yuan Shu!) could leave Liu Bei's lands ripe for the taking.

The wannabe King of Shu had a considerable army, Chen Dao led a force of Conscript Halberdiers, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei both lead Levy Crossbowmen, and Liu Bei himself led a Dang Yang Army; added to this were 2 more Halberdiers and 2 more Crossbowmen.
My forces were also significant, with a grand total of 4 Private Guard (my Unique Unit, Archer replacements), 2 Conscript Halberdiers, 3 Siege Ballistae, 3 Siege Swordsmen and a Crossbow unit.
While my force was significantly larger, Liu Bei fielded far more powerful units.

I knew it was a vital battle and that Ji Ling must stand up and be counted here. As such I threatened him with the prospect of making him and his family as characters in my Sims 3 neigbourhood. If he failed, I would throw his family in the pool and then delete the ladders out, forcing them to drown, while he watched, trapped in a nearby room that had no doors.

The battle began with Zhang Fei and Cheng Dao claiming victories, defeating Ji Ling (he survived, but his family won't for much longer!). The crowd was restless and began booing the referee, clearly Liu Bei's forces were cheating. The ref waved away the protests and the game continued. Guan Yu pressed the attack, urging his men forward and eager to not be outdone by his victorious brother. The brave defenders decided not to follow Ji Ling's example, instead they were actually competent. Guan Yu was not only defeated, but captured! WOO!
Desperate to resolve this issue, Liu Bei engaged. He too was beaten back! Not only that, but in his attempts to flee he was dismounted and caputed!! ZOMG YEAH! There was much cheering and rejoicing. I immediately regretted kissing the dog in celebration, but things really were that exciting.

I suffered another couple of defeats as Liu Bei's forces attempted to rescue their leader; however, my forces held firm and the city remained ours.

That night the people of Shou Chun partied hard, and the benevolent Yuan Shu provided much entertainment in the form of blackjack and hookers. All were happy!

When it was my turn it was time to counterattack. Zhang Fei and Chen Dao were soundly beaten (but both escaped), and my badly damaged forces took a few turns to regroup and prepare for a counter attack.
The last thing to do was decide the fate of my prisoners... Guan Yu would be a powerful ally; however, his extreme loyalty to Liu Bei means that he is unlikely to join me. Furthermore, on the eve on an invasion I cannot risk him getting back to his allies and becoming a powerful opponent. As such, I had him executed.
Liu Bei was even easier to decide. An adversary for some time, he had moved against me and attempted to destroy my rising empire. Off With His Head!!

Liu Chong became leader of the Liu Bei Clan.

By the time my units were back to full strength there were numerous workers in the field (initially focusing on securing the 2 sources of copper - see the map above - and then building farms) and new Crossbowmen were coming off the line.

Ji Ling led the line, seeking to avenge his failure (and the unfortunate drowning of his wife and three small children) by leading my forces on Liu Bei's capital .
Spoiler Invasion! :

Ji Ling surveys the route to Xia Pi

I am too tired to continue for now... so I leave you with that short addition.

Nice job. Just be aware that Ji Ling is going to die before 200 AD. He's a good archer so I would use him for crossbows.
I would have executed Guan Yu just around the time of capturing Xia Pi (since you get a boost in morale temporarily when executing enemy generals).

Unfortunately I had a file corruption that lost me my saved game in this. I couldn't even go back to the Autosaves as my brother has also been playing, and the Autosaves are from his game.
Very annoying as I had dumped 20hours or so into the game by then. I was in the process of a massive war with Yuan Shao (we are the 2 largest Empires. He is the top score by a considerable margin, while I am about 4th). After a bloodbath at Guan Du, where literally hundreds of units were lost by both sides (in the opening stages there were 150 units sent against my Guan Du in one turn, and this was just a section of our armies). Finally I was invading his territory, and that's where the corrupted file occured!! ARGH

As such, I won't be continuing this. However, I am starting a Ma Teng - Monarch thread. Sorry about the pain in the arse!

Top Bottom