Zara - Help me through an immortal game.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Gumbolt, May 26, 2010.

1. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Okay I really need to improve my game and playing a higher level may help me. I am somewhat confident at Emperor although I do make some strange but interesting choices at times as many cookbook players will tell you.

Not sure why I chose Zara as i don't think I have ever won a game with him. Perhaps just not played him.

In terms of the game if you intend to shadow do so using spoilers. Perhaps post saves at certain dates. 1500bc/400ad/1300ad. I want to be able to see how my play differs to other immortal or higher level players at certain year.

I will play slowly at the start and take advice on city placement and early techs. I'll try and play the map. Hopefully if all goes well and I don't have a silly map I should be on par by about 1300ad. See what happens!!

If anyone from my SGOTM wants to shadow that would be interesting to see. If someone could screen map to make sure it is not too silly that would be good. Obviously I don't want any spoilers. :)

Okay here the game details.

Spoiler :

The uu

The UB

The Start

Game settings

The leader

Let the game begin.

Attached Files:

2. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Okay start has corn. I have 3-4+ mountains and a river with 4-5 grassland. Possible 2 flood plains to the west. Seems a pretty strong production/commerce city. Not sure what other resources may be near by.

My incling would be to move scout 1 nw and 1sw to reveal more land. I suspect SIP.

I need to add the leader details oops.

3. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Yeah, I'll follow along. Haven't beat Immortal yet myself, but have had some moderate success in early to mid-game lately - primarily due to Kos's stuff. Just tend not to finish a lot of my games.

Zara's definitely a good rexxer if the land holds up.

4. turkis

turkis Chieftain

I would take my scout 1W then 1SW to get one more square revealed (not counting the floodplains that we can see already) from the BFC if I settled 1W. I don't like the coast line on the right. This also allows you to take the hut after you build your city with the scout which has better possible returns.

Settling inland allows for a much better city to be build on the coast if there is sea resources and the lake is a 3/2 with a lighthouse. You are also only giving up 1 tile that has a possible resource on it (the plains 1E, 2S of your settler).

I'll likely hop in and shadow you this evening.

5. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

1w 1sw for scout does seem optimal. The river to the west would make a better commerce bur. capital. I dont see the chances of any more food resources to the south or east.

It does look like we are near the top of the continent.

6. kossin

kossin Deity

It's almost certain you'll settle 1W, either have the scout verify the area or send him in another direction for scouting.

7. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Lets move the scout 1w 1sw and if nothing new comes to light I will move settler 1w.

8. GreenShift84

GreenShift84 Chieftain

Agree on moving the scout 1w 1sw, looks like that tile is either another floodplain or an oasis, which can be nice for a little extra commerce early. That said settling 1w doesn't seem too bad, depending on what the scout reveals (and you get an extra two moves with the scout if you move, hope for gold?). It has the benefit of opening up the coast to the east for easier city sites and stays riverside as well. Assuming agri will be your first research target with the corn available, I'd try banking beakers until meeting some neighbors for a possible research discount on a known tech.

9. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Okay new screenshot

Spoiler :

We have 5 flood plains to west and the corn. Plenty of production too. Health may be an issue.

I think settling where settler is now is optimal.

I propose AG first while city grows. Build a worker while this techs. Use scout to search out local area.

Need to consider next tech after AG once more land is revealed. Not sure how important archery is on this level or just using warriors effectively to block out AI barbs. I do have hunting already. Hmm.

10. turkis

turkis Chieftain

Looks like another coast on the west side there, could be good if you end up blocking a penninsula. I'll be doing the same moves when I play tonight, but I'll probably go straight to 1500bc so I can read anything you post up without feeling guilty.

Given your all the farmable land and two unforested mines (keeps the worker busy) and trees, bronzeworking seems like a solid 2nd tech choice here for a boost to expansion and maybe a archer replacement.

In this situation I sit on archery as a safety measure if needed (another nice bonus for having hunting). barbs will start entering your borders at about 2300 you'll know as that approaches if you need them or not depending on how close your neighbors are, if you are lucky enough to have copper (looks like we won't be getting animal husbandry before that date, given our start), or if there are unfogbusted areas too close for comfort.

11. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

Ag Wheel Pottery BW to get the cottages going early. I imagine you'll have BW done in time for the first settler in case you need it. I'm more apt to shadow if you don't go pottery first just to show the difference. Would need second city to be a settler/worker pump...

12. CarlH

CarlH Warlord

I dont think you should be planning for archery at this point. Enough warriors can spawnbust until you get horse/copper on line. I agree with Grashopa's tech suggestions. I suspect copper or iron will be on the unforested plains hill 2E of your settler's position.

13. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I don't see a lot of cottage tiles pre-BW, is that something you do regularly? If he has livestock I'd almost recommend writing before pottery, depending on situation.

14. kossin

kossin Deity

^^6 flood plains in capital isn't enough?

Pottery>BW will be a lot faster than BW>Pottery. This capital has enough much food/hammers to not need BW early to stay up in settler/worker prod.

15. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

I haven't had a bureau capital in awhile, but this is it. Be a great start with pottery if you can nab a bunch of happy. If you don't hit pottery now its a slippery slope as the worker moves off etc. We have early academy here so I definitely want to run cottages to happy cap asap.

16. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

I popped the hut then settled in place.

Bad? I still have 3 flood plains in cap. I also agree about pottery.

Going to bed now good night.

17. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

Well, If you folk do not know me, I am creasy..

Soo.. here are couple of saves:

Spoiler :

I really did not like settling in place. So I send scout to coast to check for sea food - non. I move on riverside plain hill(forested) in direction I see flood plains. No special resources there, but settling give me +1 shield form start + flood plains to work form turn 1. So I settle there.

Scout run after hats. discover marble near original location.. scout die soon from lion, but I formulated plan..

Go for oracle, take monarchy and exploit slavery monarchy from there.

Research wend farming(I do need to farm all this flood plains), well(Need to connect marble), Mysticism, meditation-priesthood-(and here I see I forgot Masonry)- masonry-Bronze working.
    So, here position one turn before Oracle is build.

Attached Files:

18. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

Mutineer
    Spoiler :

I love the oracle - monarchy in fact I meant to suggest keeping that in mind as you play this start, but only if you went cottages!! Imagine a size 15 cottage filled cap when you hit bureau before 1 AD...

19. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

Grashopa

Spoiler :
    Commerce is not the only and not the best use of bureaucratic capital.

Industrial capital is very good too, and this will be industrial capital.

I did not know that when I just formulated plan, thought I decided to farm FP straight away, but with Ragnar as a neibor I want production!

20. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

@Gumbolt:

Looking good, get agriculture first, then it depends on the land really. If you have livestock nearby I would opt to go for AH. If not, I think I would go TW -> pottery -> BW. If the land is especially harsh you might want to throw in archery somewhere in between - maybe after pottery. This is all looking maybe 30 turns into the future when we know nothing of the land still. Getting cottages soonish seems like a solid idea here.