Zards Backyard: Tourist Trap

Political will/reality. We did fix them then 70's/80's happened.
Supposedly NZ had one of the highest GDPs per capita after WW2 because of the high demand for woollen army clothing. At least that's why the dormitory buildings I live in in Christchurch exist, to support all the farming boarders that were getting rich off wool. We did hit a rough spot in the 80s (studied the Springbok Tour at school) and all that. Now I hear from those farming boarders wool isn't profitable anymore.
The inability (difficulty?) of small, rich NZ to fix basic social problems that show up on more massive scales elsewhere seems to say that fixing them in other places is unlikely.
I think we are a bit like Greece before the Eurozone crisis. Rich but with not that much way to pay for it; NZers expect world class living but I really can't see how we can afford it. And of course politicians tend to be lax, especially at the local level.

Supposedly NZ had one of the highest GDPs per capita after WW2 because of the high demand for woollen army clothing. At least that's why the dormitory buildings I live in in Christchurch exist, to support all the farming boarders that were getting rich off wool. We did hit a rough spot in the 80s (studied the Springbok Tour at school) and all that. Now I hear from those farming boarders wool isn't profitable anymore.

I think we are a bit like Greece before the Eurozone crisis. Rich but with not that much way to pay for it; NZers expect world class living but I really can't see how we can afford it. And of course politicians tend to be lax, especially at the local level.

NZ was number 3 or 4 per Capita in 1913. WW1 cost 50 million pounds (government income 10 million). We ate very well comparatively in war years.

The money is there people don't want to pay it. Most NZ cities sitting on aged water infrastructure which has been run down last 30 odd years.

Grandparents built stuff we've run it down and put more stress on it.

Top Bottom