zed or zee?

How do you pronounce the last letter in the English alphabet?

• Total voters
You seem to be under the assumption that there is some kind of underlying logic for teh English language....

Pronunciation in the English language isn't dependent on the alphabet, like it is in other languages such as Polish (If you learn the Polish alphabet and a couple compound-letter sounds, you will be able to read & pronounce 99.99% things written in the language)

So yeah, the way Canadians/Brits/others pronounce Z doesn't impact the pronunciation of words at all.

We should make a Polish speaking/learning thread. :)

Well since in UK English, "Beta" is pronounced with the same sound as the A in face or bay, your point is invalid.

By the logic used by zedders, Bee should be pronounced Bay then.

This does not invalidate my point!

@ zealot conversation.

Zealot is pronounced Zell-Ought

Zell as in Sell, just with a Z.

Geographical features are moving towards me?

By the logic used by zedders, Bee should be pronounced Bay then.
Huh? That was not arguing for a system, but a against the theory Beta-Bee, Zeta-Zee (which also includes the Eta-Ee exception).

Geographical features are moving towards me?
Perhaps its a loading bay, or Michael Bay.

So. If a british guy and an american guy were to pronounce the english alphabet, the american would end with zee, and the british guy would end with zed? Is that the only difference(pertaining to zee and zed), it doesn't actually affect how any words are said?

Huh? That was not arguing for a system, but a against the theory Beta-Bee, Zeta-Zee (which also includes the Eta-Ee exception).

what :confused:

Beta - BAY-TUH

Hence, B "BEE" should be pronounced "BAY"

Because earlier in the thread someone said Z = Zed because Z = Zeta

I'm being satirical here, I don't actually want this to happen.

Well frik. I was starting to wonder, Ive played with some british guys online and Ive never heard a Zed yet and I was starting to maybe think I was delusional.

Well frik. I was starting to wonder, Ive played with some british guys online and Ive never heard a Zed yet and I was starting to maybe think I was delusional.

It tends to come up a lot more if you study math :)

The zee-axis just sounds so wrong in my mind.. Of course that's cause I'm so used to zed-axis

So. If a british guy and an american guy were to pronounce the english alphabet, the american would end with zee, and the british guy would end with zed? Is that the only difference(pertaining to zee and zed), it doesn't actually affect how any words are said?

They'd pronounce "R" different, too, presuming you were talking about Received Pronunciation or other-non rhotic dialects. There's no actual r sound in the English one.

Zee, clearly. My English is very American-like, in pretty much all regards. Even if it is "zet" in my native language.

English-as-a-second-language person here, I say "Elevator" and "Flat" even though in my mother language, the (only!) words for those objects are "Lift" and "Apartament"! :p And I wonder why most people think that I'm American...
Flat is English, apartment American.

Well since in UK English, "Beta" is pronounced with the same sound as the A in face or bay, your point is invalid.
Not true. Beta is 'beeta'. The only people I've heard say bayta are Americans.

I think that if we should make zed fit in with b, c, d, g etc. then we should also have 'fee', 'hee', 'jee', 'kee', 'lee', 'mee', 'nee', 'ree', 'see', 'wee' and 'ye'.

then J and G would be the same letter, as would C and S

24 letters in the Brighteye alphabet?

Ya'll are wrong. Its "Zeh"

(At least in Russian)

Top Bottom