1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

zed or zee?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by warpus, Apr 7, 2010.

?

How do you pronounce the last letter in the English alphabet?

1. Zee

53.2%
  2. Zed

45.5%
  3. Something else

1.3%
  1. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Actually, New Zealand is named after the dutch Zeeland, so I'm wondering where the heck the a in Zea came from, when Zee is a perfectly good spelling for the same sound, and etymologically accurate!

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Really? You are confused?

Do you pronounce Zachary as Zeechary?

3. frekk

frekk Scourge of St. Lawrence

What's any of that got to do with the letter Z?

Ok, add Estonia and Portugal. Still looks like a lonely, god-forsaken place over there.

How is current pronunciation of the English language irrelevant?

Cavemen may have called it "aaaannnugg" for all I know; we're talking about proper, civilized speech here! Not your lax, neolithic mommit!

4. Harbringer

Harbringer Your A One Flower Garden

No, do you pronounce it ZEElot, or ZEDlot. What im saying is, do you actually say the words different or just spell them different or something. Like is the actual pronunciation different or are ZEE and ZED just aesthetics.

5. Bill3000

They prove that it is perfectly normal for letters with simplified pronunciations (or the reverse, using Greek alphabet names) are perfectly normal in Latinate alphabet languages.

It shows that it is not like "mommy" and "daddy".

Presuming you're talking about homo sapiens cavemen, they spoke language just as complex and rich as ours.

6. frekk

frekk Scourge of St. Lawrence

Bah. Everyone knows that the better part of English is the Germanic. Compare:

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

"Organizational diversity and accountability is paramount for sustained success and a productive work environment"

We don't care about Latin. "A dead language, dead as dead can be; first it killed the Romans, now it's killing me."

I can think of lots of rich words; in several different languages, come to think of it. They definately have their uses, but I wouldn't repeat them in polite company and they certainly aren't proper English.

7. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

No.

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Pronunciation in the English language isn't dependent on the alphabet, like it is in other languages such as Polish (If you learn the Polish alphabet and a couple compound-letter sounds, you will be able to read & pronounce 99.99% things written in the language)

So yeah, the way Canadians/Brits/others pronounce Z doesn't impact the pronunciation of words at all.

9. say1988

say1988 Deity

No. The name of the letter Z is "zed". Just like a W is "double you" but you wouldn't say doubleyouave.

10. GVBN

GVBN Emperor

Zee is the proper English pronunciation

11. Bill3000

I was talking about languages who use the latin alphabet.

Vocabulary doesn't define the complexity and richness of a language; languages aren't word lists!

12. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

While I use "Zee", (and yes, I'm American mind you), I prefer to use a Greek-English hybrid. I use the English letter shapes, sounds, and pronautations, but use the Greek names for the letters. It's so that each letter sounds different from each other.

13. Bill3000

Uh, the Latin alphabet isn't on a one-to-one correspondence with the Greek alphabet; you're screwed with coming up distinctive greek names for the group U, V, W, Y, the pair C and G, and the pair I and J.

14. PiMan

PiMan Emperor

Some words do have different pronunciations, but they don't include the 'd' sound in zed. Zebra has a shorter 'e' sound in British English than American English.
    Zebra is ˈzɛbɹə in UK English and ˈziːbɹə in US English

On the other hand; by any online dictionary I can find, including US dictionaries, you are mispronouncing zealot. The 'ea' actually has roughly the same sound as in 'bell'.

15. Nials

Nials Prince

When used as a part of a complete word, I pronounce Z as zee, so I would say ZEElot. It is only when I hear or pronounce the letter "as is" that I would prefer zed to make it clearer to my ears.

Although as mentioned earlier, should Z be a part of an acronym like New Zealand, I would pronounce it as zed as well.

16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Well, that depends, right? If a word starts with Za, you usually wouldn't pronounce it zee. You pronounce zealot with a zee, cause of the e right after the zed.

17. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Wait, people pronounce the zea in zealot similar to bee?

That's even crazier.

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

i would pronounce it zee-lot as opposed to zeh-lot cuase zea to me looks like it ought to be pronounced like sea

19. say1988

say1988 Deity

I would say you have the "l" on teh wrong side.

Zell-ot

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

zeal-ot

I would pronounce zeal like seal