1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Zeppelin bombs Destroyer -20%... uh huh.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Oddible, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Dora190

Dora190 Warlord

Very wrong. Zepplins were used during the early stages of WWI, for bombing cities. They killed a lot of people and were untouchable until decent air defenses were developed. They were finally neutralized by fighters that could get high enough and fire incendiary bullets.

Historically? CIV aint historical anyway. I have no problem with airships, just get flight quickly.

2. alvan

alvan Chieftain

As a defensive builder-type, I must say I love them. Nothing like grinding those stacks that siege ur cities OR softning up enemy ships closing to ur borders.

Altho its highly unrealistic. :crazyeye:

3. CivFan87

CivFan87 Chieftain

Civ aint historical? Then why is there so much history included in the civilopedia. And why can't I have riflemen in the medieval ages, since we are now ignoring history apparently.

4. zienth

zienth Chieftain

You can have riflemen in the middle ages, or at least while your opponents are still in their middle ages. Just play on settler level. :)

Zienth

5. Walkabout

Walkabout Chieftain

I would be interested in knowing your source. According to Wikipedia (hardly authoritative, but reliable enough for a starting point), there were a total of 557 people killed and 1,358 wounded from Zeppelin raids in all of WWI. Statistically, that's pretty insignificant given that roughly 20 million died in the war.

More important than the numbers is the fact that the deaths were civilians, not military. The game is exactly the opposite. I have yet to find a reliable source that documents ANY significant military casulties ever being inflicted by Zeppelins.

Their most effective use (and apparently the origin of that silly bonus vs. naval units) is the fact that they were used as anti-submarine pickets along the eastern coast in the early days of WWII. But even then their role was primarily recon, not tactical. (If anyone knows of any records documenting a naval unit ever being either sunk or damaged by a direct attack from an airship, I'd love to hear of it.)

If the game is going to try to preserve at least some flavor of history, the attack rating should go. Perhaps give them an ability to affect production, commerce or happiness in cities they bomb, but no more.

6. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ King

I think they're useful enough just as a recon unit that can see subs. It's just plain annoying to see a bunch of messages every turn that an airship inflicted 20% damage. Currently, it can tip naval battles in your favor, but it's more annoying that anything, with no way to kill them for a long time.

7. Dark Myrmidon

Dark Myrmidon Chieftain

Airships were used for recon and spotting subs, and they should keep that... However, what Airships also did was reduce damage from bombers by floating over a city with wires hanging off of them. The bombers would get messed up if they flew into the wires, so they were forced to fly above the airships so their accuracy was reduced.

Perhaps it should be that airships don't attack, but can recon and can do an "Defend" Mission... Reduce airstrike damage in it's range. For this to work though, it would probably be best if they weren't totally obsoleted by planes...

8. vilemerchant

vilemerchant Prince

I can't believe they didn't address this in the upcoming patch. Airships are the stupidest and probably the most complained about 'feature' of BtS.

9. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ King

Well that's what I was trying to say in my previous post. I think they should be for recon only, and have no attack ability. I don't know if they are replaced by planes, currently. If they are, that obsolescence should be removed. Airships should be able to be built forever much like explorers. They would be useful in the late-game too because of their sub-spotting ability and they're a cheap recon unit by that time.

Remove the attack ability. Done.

10. Walkabout

Walkabout Chieftain

You're confusing Zeppelins (or "airships") with barrage balloons. Not the same thing at all.