1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Zeppelins -> Special Forces?? (Disclaimer: complaining/rant)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by kenneth1221, Mar 11, 2020.

?

What do you think?

1. I would like to play with this idea

19 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. I do not think this idea would be a good addition to the mod

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. I both agree and disagree with things you have said

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. I have no strong opinion on zeppelins

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. lunker

lunker Warlord

I don't think we're allowed to add new units at this point (no new code). And while I do agree that Zeppelin is the odd one out in the upgrade line, I don't want to see it removed from the game. I was thinking we could add mountain movement to Paratroopers and beyond, but they are already plenty strong as it is...

Zanteogo and JamesNinelives like this.
  2. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

I like the idea of mountain movement. I mentioned there is a dearth of recon promotions, what if that was one of them? Allowing recon units to move through mountains.

3. lunker

lunker Warlord

I think would be the best way to solve things, but it'd be a little weird seeing paratroopers, special forces, and xcom crossing mountains on the regular.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  4. kenneth1221

kenneth1221 Warlord

It'd probably start out pretty weird, but end up as something you get used to pretty quickly. VP has a lot of stuff like that.

cammcken and JamesNinelives like this.
  5. LarryAR

LarryAR Chieftain

A steam powered airship flew 10 years before the American civil war. Likewise in VP, steam power and dirigibles (aka airships) are available one tech before industrialization and ironclads. No problem historically. I find them useful but they are too fragile for modern war.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  6. cammcken

cammcken Warlord

Should be noted that, ever since embarked units can no longer blockade, hovering units are the only way to put lakeside cities under 'Besieged' status. An early hovering unit would fulfill this important role.

7. Zanteogo

Zanteogo King

This would actually help a ton. Paratroopers and Xcom units both.

8. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Emperor

I've made a modmod for anyone wanting a slight change. It adds four new units and 6 new promotions while keeping the Zeppelin feasible with its small niche like able to hover over ocean tiles and having its own promotion that should make things interesting. My modmod was actually made in response to this thread, though I admit there are certain other solutions to this.