1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Zero Population Growth?? Help! :)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by biffsmash, Mar 10, 2004.

1. biffsmash

biffsmash Chieftain

Hi,
    This is my first time on these forums so please forgive me if I havent posted in the correct area.

I am new to civilization, and am currently struggling on the easiest difficulty level, but i'm sure i'm getting there slowly lol

Anyway, can someone explain what causes zero population growth, and how I can fix it ? :/

Thanks a lot

biffy

2. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

The most probable is that you have a size six city without fresh water or a size 12 city without a hospital. You need food to grow.

Welcome to CFC!

3. Conqueror '91

Conqueror '91 Crimethinker

another possibility is that you did not build your city in favorable territory, like desert or near mountains. You should get workers out there!

4. biffsmash

biffsmash Chieftain

Hi! :)

Thanks to both of you for the replies, I will remember both for future as I didn't realise either of those ! :)

My problem though is I think that I started the city in bad land, and havent used worker to improve the land for me yet!

The population was 2 (at least there are 2 faces on the city screen lol. And the city was producing 4 food per turn.

biffy :)

5. scoutsout

scoutsout Minstrel Boy

4 food per turn and 2 citizens, yep, that'll do it, no population growth!

Each citizen needs 2 food. Any additional goes into the "food bin", and when it's full, you get another citizen.

Some cities are very difficult to grow...anything founded on tundra, deserts, or on a hill surrounded by mountains.

It's not that these aren't worth settling - they may reveal strategic resources later on (iron, saltpeter, oil).

There are some articles and threads on this stuff on this site, look for them. It's complicated (and even your form of government comes into play) but basically:

Grassland: 2 food (+1 if you irrigate)
    Plains: 1 food (+1 if you irrigate)
    Desert: 0 food (+1 if you irrigate)
    Hillls: 1 food (cannot irrigate)
    Mountains: 0 food, cannot irrigate
    Coast: 1 food, +1 if city has a harbor

For a coastal city on desert or tundra, you can grow it if you build a harbor. Also, irrigated desert with railroads (available much later) will produce 2 food...

There are some rather common food bonus resources you can look for: cattle, game, wheat, fish, whales. (whales and cattle also produce a bonus shield).