Zhukov or Konev?

Instead of popping a question like that, why don't you give us some background info as well?

Like e.g., who is Konev?

All I know about Zhukov is that he beat his field commanders when they failed.

konev served in the imperial russian army in wwI and joined the red army in the revolution of 1917. he escaped the purges of the late 1930's because he was serving in the far east as commander of mongolia. in 1941 he was in charged of the forces crushed by the inital german attacks of 1941 but was saved by zhukov from stalins wrath. by 1943 he command the 2nd ukranian front attacking into the balkens and racing towards berlin. only an order from stalin stopped him from beating zhokov to berlin. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------zhukov also served in the imperial russian army in wwI and joined the red army in the russian cival war of 1917.he also escaped the stalin purges of the army commanders because he was in the far east in the late 1930's were he defeated the japaneses forces in a series of border fights. in 1941 he was chief of staff and commanded the fight against german 1941-1943. after kursk he led the counterattacks that led to the capture of berlin.----------------------------------------------------------------------------both men led " interesting interconecting lifes after the war too

i don't know if its strange, more in the line of they were rivals, who was better. and i agree zuhkov was in the top 5 commanders of the war:)

Originally posted by Benderino
Remind me, which one was at Stalingrad? ...Or was that neither.
It was Chuikov, althogh Zuhkov was overall commander. Actually, it was to Chuikov that a delegation from Htler's bunker went to discuss peace terms in '45.
My vote goes to Zuhvok. Earning his stripes in the far east against the Japanese, the defence of Moscow, Stalingrad, Kursk, the byelorussian offensive were all his doing. What a man!
When his 1st Byelorussian and Koniev's 1st Ukrainian fronts were racing for Berlin it was to Zuhkov's men that the honour of capturing the city went

Originally posted by rilnator
When his 1st Byelorussian and Koniev's 1st Ukrainian fronts were racing for Berlin it was to Zuhkov's men that the honour of capturing the city went

Yes, and what an honor! 80,000 of them killed, 270,000 wounded or missing to take the capital of a nearly dead regime! Great stuff!

I'm sure there's more than a few of them who would rather have left that honor to an atomic bomb four months later. ;)

R.III

and zhukov got there first because stalin ordered konov to stop just short of berlin

Originally posted by pawpaw
and zhukov got there first because stalin ordered konov to stop just short of berlin

Originally true. In fact, Stalin drew the Front boundaries
such that Koniev was at a great disadvantage to caputure
Berlin, but he was *not* forbidden to enter Berlin (Erickson,
"The Road to Berlin", Glantz, "When Titans Clashed"). And
when Zhokov's initial attack bogged down in the Seelow Heights,
Koniev took full advantage. His forces captured the SW part
of Berlin. But Stalin eventually did save downtown Berlin for
Zhukov.

@rilantor: Glantz says that it was really Vasilevskii who
was the mastermind behind the Stalingrad counteroffensive
(although Zhukov did particiapte there), and Zhukov who
planned the Mars offensive against the Rzhev sailent near
Moscow. This was a second instance in which Zhokov saved
Koniev from Stalin's wrath. The attack by Koniev's Front
was an abysmal failure, and Stalin would have sacked him,
except for Zhokov's intervention. ("Zhokov's Greatest Defeat").

@pawpaw: Zhukov spent September-November 1941 in
Leningrad, because he (correctly) tried to talk Stalin into abandoning Kiev (For his pains, Stalin relieved him as Chief of Staff, and bansished him). He was restored to major command only after the German Typhoon offensive broke through in the Briansk area in November.

Oh yes, to answer the original question: Zhukov was the
better commander, despite his seeming inability to adjust his
plans to circumstances once the fighting started. (Mars, Berlin).

@pawpaw: And I have seen few nits I didn't want to pick :)

I myself say Zhukov......Konev was more the Montgomery to Zhukov's Patton...

I mean, Konev was stuck in Upper Silesia far too long...just crush the dumb nazi bastards already.

I say Konev because he cleared the forces near Berlin much quicker then Zhukov. And I believe the Stalingrad offensive was not really and brialliant move by Zhukov. I think Zhukov is overrated as most of his battles were won on numerical superiority. Konev won many battles with skill and suffered less casualties than the Germans.

Originally posted by Richard III

I'm sure there's more than a few of them who would rather have left that honor to an atomic bomb four months later. ;)

R.III

Berlin was no doubt the ultimate prize. After millions of deaths and most of Western Russia destroyed I don't think the Soviets would have liked the Americans taking the credit for capturing Berlin. The war wasn't going to end until Hitler was dead and the only way to do that was to take the Reich capital.
Then again, the Russians could have just sat outside Berlin 'til they developed their own bomb several years later eh?

the US didn't take berlin because really, it would've just been a waste of time...i mean, at Yalta they decided Berlin would be in the USSR control zone anyway, so why waste the troops?

Zhukov was the best general of World War 2.
-Zhukov is credited with defending Moscow in the autumn of 1941, he knew when to use the Siberian troops to push the Germans away from the capital
-Organized the resistance of Leningrad in 1941
-He was the masterminder of the brilliant counter-offensive in 1942, that resulted in the encirclement of Paulus' 6th Army.
- Zhukov developed a brilliant tactical plan that stoped German's armored spearheads from penetrating into Soviet lines. I believe this tactical plan is called " Defense in Depth", I am not sure about this name, so please correct me.
-He organized the defense around Kursk, and planed the counter-offensive that was to follow the German offensive.
- Even though he is credited with conquering Berlin, that only happened because Stalin ordered Konev to stop his offensive a let Zhukov conquer the city. Before that order Stalin had let the two compete and race towards the same objective, that cost the Soviets a lot, 300.000 Soviet soldiers died to conquer Berlin. The casualties would have been fewer if Stalin had acted sooner to stop the madness between the commanders.

Top Bottom