Zimbabwe Government Passes Law on 51% Black Ownership

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Snorrius, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Seems like a pretty smart move to me.

2. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Yes, Europeans screwed up Africa by drawing arbitrary lines in a map. This does not make them any worse than the people like Mugabe currently exploiting the continent and screwing it up more.

3. Merkinball

Merkinball Deity

Clearly exploitation is only bad when perpetrated by white people.

4. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

It is racism. And an extreme example of how african leaders destroyed the countries they ruled after independence. Most have learned something from that, are are now slowly recovering. This one is just getting worse. Who knows, perhaps they should have had a civil war right after independence and be done with the property problems. Those where "power-sharing" of any kind was attempted, like Zimbabwe and Kenya, are now among the the most messed up.

One thing is certain: big power changes rarely happen peacefully.

5. kulade

kulade Deity

oh well, this may hurt the numerous investment opportunities in zimbabwe...

6. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

I'm surprised to hear that. This is appalling racism.

7. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Its called "Bribes".
    Dont worry South African companies are also exempt.

8. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Dont know about that. Kenya seems to be staggering on. Like a punch drunk fighter dragging themselves back up, but still on their feet.

9. The Imp

The Imp Kinslayer

Probably. You are basically trading the experienced capitalists or the inexperienced.

10. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

As I clearly stated above, I would certainly agree with that.

Clearly exploitation is even worse when you practice it on naive people in a foreign country, especially when it would be illegal to do so in your own country.

11. aelf

aelf Ashen One

I don't know if 'republic' is really a meaningful term (unlike democracy). Surely you know that democracy is not monolithic. Hence, it doesn't necessarily follow that it will lead to the tyranny of the majority. Liberal democracies have made a good shot at preventing that.

12. bender19

bender19 Warlord

So to sum up your views Mugabe's exploitation is better than European exploitation because Mugabe is black, despite the fact the country has regressed and is in a worse state under Mugabe.

The capital staying in the country is of no great advantage, at the moment there's a lack of it, they need policies to attract NEW capital, this policy does exactly the opposite.

Call me naive but I don't think any of Mugabe's policies are about making the country a better place, it would seem they are about the maintenance of power. Policies like this and the land redistribution are about feathering his own nest, they're populist at their core and do nothing to advance the economic or humanitarian outcomes in Zimbabwe.

13. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

I'm all for this law! It's about time I tell you that rich Black people from Europe got to exploit Africa too!

14. gugalpm

gugalpm Veteran of psychic wars

Why?

Any state, country, whatever that doesn't want to be colonized must be able to defend itself first. If you can't do that, you don't deserve to be independent.

15. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

Afghanistan and Iraq the 51st and 52nd states of the Union.

16. Yeekim

Yeekim Moderator Moderator

This.
    This
    And this.

17. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

Personally I don't think Mugabe cares so much about the white and black issues. He only wants more power and money for himself, his friends and his family. This law just helps him do that. He doesn't care more about black Zimbabweans than white. At least not much outside of pretending.

18. ~Corsair#01~

~Corsair#01~ Deity

I think this new law will a great aid to Mugabe and Zanu-PF in accomplishing their two main policy aims: blaming the tiny number of white people who haven't fled the country yet for their own inability to govern and grabbing any remaining assets in the country of economic value for their supporters.

It is immensely fortunate for the people of Africa that the natural resources of the continent cannnot be pillaged and wiped out by the governments there as quickly and easily as businesses can. Otherwise all of Africa would look like the moon right now and nothing would remain of the entire continent but refugees, extremely wealthy Chinese mining companies and of course forum posters informing us all of how only white people can ever make mistakes.

19. The Imp

The Imp Kinslayer

Nicely done. :)

20. ArmorPierce

ArmorPierce Warlord

The majority of the population is black. Why shouldn't these large companies be held at least by half by the majority of the population? These non-black companies benefitted from past racism in order to enrich themselves.