1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Zimmerman Family Gets 400 Death Threats Per Minute?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Formaldehyde, Aug 4, 2013.

1. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

If you were getting 400 credible death threats a minute you'd already be dead.

2. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

If it was 400 legit death threats, he would be dead. The crazies are vocal, but the ones who are more grounded aren't. What do we consider a death threat in today's age of anonymous communication? Anything, literally anything big that happens is accompanied with 'death threats' on public forums. Just check out Reddit after a celebrity does something, or a sports team makes a questionable trade, or a government does something a little illegal. You will find dozens, if not hundreds, of comments from people wishing death upon others.

Are those death threats? Even if it was a legitimate desire, can it still be a death threat since it was so public, behind a mask, and chances are the person knows nothing about them?

I agree that we should be careful regardless of that fact, but I would be willing to put money on it that 399 of these death threats are just people being angry and not caring about the consequences and implications of what they're saying.

Edit: <3 Alp.

3. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

A death threat is a death threat whether credible or not. It does damage even without a follow-up.

4. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

If we're going to run around making sure nobody ever hurts another person's feelings then we're doomed. We won't have enough time for farming, manufacturing, or even sleeping. I'm warning people as sincerely as I can: trying to enforce perfect civility on the internet or on the street is a black hole.

Regardless of your opinion of the case, Zimmerman ended up shooting another person and it got national attention. It's actually been pretty smooth sailing compared to how bad it could've been.

<3<3<3

5. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I vaguely recall Z being found not guilty in some sort of public procedure involving a judge and jurors, i think that is called in obscure legal jargon a "trial"? Perhaps this should be a factor in how Z is treated too, ideally at least :D

6. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Flee to Hong Kong then Russia.

7. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

How do you think a cop killer who got acquitted would be treated? How many threats do you think OJ Simpson got?

Zimmerman was traveling alone in Texas after apparently doing the same less than a mile from where he killed Martin. He had no qualms about getting out of his truck and rendering assistance while hanging around until the cops arrived. That is hardly the activity of someone who thinks he is is in grave peril of being killed at any moment.

8. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

It's pretty sad people would make light of this. No person should ever be illegally under threat of life or limb.

One of my fellow TSA officers was saying that Zimmerman shouldn't even have a trial (among other stuff). So yea, I believe this guy, and even his family are being threatened. It's a not good thing or something one should be happy for.

So Forma, why are people like you happy about people getting death threats?

9. Formaldehyde

So Woody, "why are people like you" claiming that I'm "happy" about him supposedly receiving death threats, as well as others?

10. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I don't like people being turned to martyrs, moreso when they were found not guilty in a court of law.

And i really doubt that OJ got so many death threats. Let alone that his case was very different to begin with (iirc he was accused of killing two people in cold blood).

11. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

I have to nitpick here, did he use as many as 400 a minute? Perhaps at the very start of the time after the case they may have been inundated with death threats and therefore used "as many". I would assume any threats have significantly decreased since.

Logically it wouldn't be surprising to hear (although quite probably a hyperbole) at least daily/weekly death threats for Zimmerman. This nation has a long standing mob mentality culture that applies to many things

12. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

:lol:

There actually was a French politician who organized his own fake assassination attempt, in order to win more support.

I think the would be "assassin" actually reported him, though. When the politician wouldn't pay him enough.

Edit: blow me down, but I can't remember the guy's name. And google searches turn up nothing.

Putin's tried it, though; allegedly.

http://www.ibtimes.com/putin-assassination-plot-fake-opposition-417128

Still, with all the real attempts on his life, you have to wonder why he'd bother to organize a fake one.

13. Formaldehyde

Wouldn't they typically have to be killed first, instead of just incessantly claiming they must eventually be?

I didn't claim he got anywhere near this ludicrous number. Now did I? But claiming he didn't receive many death threats even before the verdict was announced is just more absurd hyperbole:

14. Formaldehyde

I wonder how many death threats Zimmerman's most vocal defender has made.

George Zimmerman's Biggest Defender: A Racist With a Criminal Past

Why would someone who claims to not be a racist ask a white supremacist to be their spokesperson?

15. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

How are you qualifying him as his biggest defender?

16. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

Funny, I thought Mark O&#8217;Mara and Don West were his biggest defenders. And I have NEVER heard of this guy before. And you know I was following this pretty close. But are some racist people also defenders of Zimmerman, sure, duh! Some Muslims are terrorist too... See how "bigoted" that logic is.

It also doesn't matter what type of a person you are, or even who your friends are, it's wrong to threatened someone's life or liberty illegally. I seem to remember you being mad at abortion doctors who also received death threats. Just because you don't like a person, doesn't mean there rights should be violated.

17. Silurian

Silurian Deity

Zimmerman's brother is not responsible for the actions of Zimmerman.

Any person who sends him large numbers death threats or credible sounding death threats should be arrested for harassment. This applies to Zimmerman, Zimmerman's brother or anyone else.

18. Formaldehyde

You mean how is Mother Jones "qualifying" him that way based on the facts presented in the article? :crazyeye:

And again, why would George Zimmerman even have anything to do with such an obviously racist white supremacist much less apparently ask him to be his spokesman moments after he was arrested?

Trayvon Martin Case: Frank Taaffe, Friend Of George Zimmerman, Defends Shooter

Frank Taffe actually lived at the Retreat at Twin Lakes along with his friend George Zimmerman where he also racially profiled innocent black teens in his neighborhood:

Link to video.

It turns out that George Zimmerman even lied about first spotting Trayvon Martin in his yard:

Link to video.

19. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

So how does mother jones qualify him as his biggest defenders since you seem to now openly admit you never think for youself?

20. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

Why are you trying to justify death threats?