1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Zimmerman Family Gets 400 Death Threats Per Minute?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Formaldehyde, Aug 4, 2013.

1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

That's a rather narrow take on it I have to say. You can't scream fire in a theater and for good reason too! The same logic applies to death threats and they shouldn't be allowed on the internet, through the mail or in person. Please don't try and make this part of your crusade against video game/internet censorship because it isn't.

Hope I'm not coming off as rude; that's not my intent but that seemed a really silly statement.

2. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

George Zimmerman is guilty of playing "don't you know who I am" with a cop.

3. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

Driving while Hispanic is a pretty common offence around those parts.

4. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

That aint true...is this one of the reputable news sources that led you to believe Zimmerman "may" be a racist, Form?

How can I trust your posts when basic facts are ignored, even distorted? Seriously, the way you throw accusations of lying around and you keep posting BS?

5. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

When Forma feels he has a target for ridicule that he can dog pile on to distract himself form 40 years of failure he is sort of like a dog with a bone. He follows it into traffic.

6. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Very meta this. I approve.

7. Formaldehyde

So is driving or walking while black.

Much can be discerned by examining the views, fears, and even paranoia of those who have no problem with racially and ethnically profiling innocent teens. They seem to have much in common with each other.

8. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Maybe then Zimmerman should have been on trial for profiling a black teen. Not sure why he was on trial for 2nd degree murder. Does it actually follow logic to claim that since Zimmerman was acquitted for 2nd degree murder, he is not to be persecuted for the other proposed crimes which were an iota of the same trial? :jesus:

9. Formaldehyde

"Persecuted"? Are you now claiming that the state and county prosecutors were "persecuting" George Zimmerman by repeatedly stating that he did indeed profile Trayvon Martin, as he did numerous others who were apparently just as innocent of committing any actual crimes? :rotfl:

10. Kyriakos

I am saying that if a man had been accused of having cut another man, without any reason to do so (eg self-protection) and at the same time to also have hit his young boy in the face so as to get to the man to cut, it would seem that the trial would tend to be about the slightly more prominent and horrible act one was accused of. Sure, if the person in that trial was found not guilty of slashing up the man, it would make perfect sense to now make a huge deal out of his hitting of the boy. Not at all some sort of irrational grudge, just common sense. :)

11. Formaldehyde

So you really don't have anything to offer concerning what actually occurred? That it just appears to be yet another "irrational grudge" like many other posts in this thread?

12. Kyriakos

I just think you are focusing way too much on the whole Zimmerman issue. Time for all to move on in my view, given we already had so many threads on Zimmeman in the last couple of weeks alone.

13. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Forma's motivations make at least internally consistent sense once you have seen where he lives:

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I was going to ask which posts because I hate veiled attacks that may or may not implicate me. Then I saw this:

:lol:

15. Kyriakos

I'm sure Patroklos was just trying to subtly encourage Forma to focus his powers on solving the Riemann hypothesis instead :D

Spoiler :
    Given from what movie those stills are

16. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

I don't mind if you're rude to me sometimes hobbs ;) Don't worry about it.

I'm not saying we should tolerate absolutely everything, but I think the tendency right now is to be a bit too ambitious about enforcing civility ( online in particular. ) My statement was deliberately hyperbolic, but I stand by my essential meaning. Death threats shouldn't be tolerated, of course, but there's a difference between a death threat and a death threat, if you know what I mean.

If someone says "I'ma {CENSORED} you and slit your throat!" after I win in a game that's just somebody being exceptionally uncivil. I might or might not report them in-game. If they quote my real address and send me pics of themselves loading a Glock I'm probably going to get directly up and talk to the police.

I'm simply saying that credibility has to be a factor here or we're just being silly. I actually have had people threaten me on Steam and I found a very efficient way to deal with it.

17. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Where it gets hairy is where we exactly draw the line and the details of the situations. Surely we can go too far as a society in making things too politically correct in a bassackwards way of ensuring no one is offended. And surely we shouldn't be forcing some sort of morality-based form of censorship on everyone. But we have to draw the line somewhere and we should be cognizant of the fact that some people will take 'death threats' (as opposed to death threats) seriously, to the extent that it causes them emotional harm.

We are at a point where we've yet to figure out how the mechanics of all this works - though your Steam example is an excellent example of the tools already at our disposal. The internet has reached the point where it's widely used but not necessarily widely understood. What I mean is that we're still figuring out the social norms of the thing and putting together a picture of where the red lines should be drawn. It was easy enough to find the red line when someone actually did scream 'fire!' in a theater and people died in the resulting stampede and theater owners were monetarily harmed in that chaos. I suggest though that there is some onus on society as a whole to deal with in some fashion (the details are negotiable) with the maleficent actors who act so irresponsibly. I think we can go too far in assuming that everyone has to fend for themselves in some fashion and that it's perfectly acceptable to allow the bad guys to do as they wish cuz lol you can block them right? There's no way things could escalate despite attempts to get out of the situation! Right<interrobang> I mean, part of the problem is that sometimes simply ignoring a harasser is enough to ensure that they escalate their behavior. Certainly where death threats, credible or not, are involved, the calculus in how we deal with them has to change. We should react differently to that than we would to "tits or gtfo" and I'm not comfortable entirely dismissing threats that you or I may judge as not credible, when again, that credibility is in the eye of the beholder.

It's quite difficult in a medium where anonymity is the norm (for now at least) and the range of damage caused by certain statements is so wildly variable from person to person. I suppose, now that I've read your rebuttal, that I was put off more by the hyperbolic nature of your comment than your true intent. Cut me a little slack though, I had every reason given recent threads to believe you were stone-cold serious!
    :)

18. Atticus

Atticus Deity Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: This counts as being a jerk. Three day ban.

EDIT: It appeared Pat was on a permanent points program, and this the final straw on it, so the ban will actually be permanent.