Zombie Mode

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by OmegaDestroyer, Mar 25, 2021.

?

How are you liking Zombie Mode?

1. I'm enjoying it so far.

57 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. It's not for me.

38 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Zombies in Civ? Never!

20 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Haven't tried it yet.

55 vote(s)
    34.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Nice finding (though I'm not sure if that's really intended...)

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  2. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

I wish there were a later start to the zombie infestations starting in the game. Say 1968... the year Night of the Living Dead came out? :D I always envisioned a zombie mode being a late-game equalizer and something to liven that part of the game up. Great mode...happy to finally have it in the game. A long-time request for me. A start period option however = better IMHO.

3. James_Champagne

James_Champagne Warlord

I'm playing a huge Wetlands map, King difficulty, up to Industrial era, and tbh none of the AI seems to be struggling all that much as far as I can see. The continent I'm on has 5 other AI civs and they all seem to be handling themselves well. I notice that the ones on the outer edges have been focusing more on traps and barricades, whereas the civs snuggled in the center haven't bothered as much (most likely because they haven't seen much in the way of zombie action).

I am curious as to what type of tiles that barricades can and can't be built on. Because some tiles it lets me and others it does not...

8housesofelixir likes this.
  4. Andrew Johnson [FXS]

Andrew Johnson [FXS] Warlord

It is! You've got to make your own head-canon with that, although I think of it as a kind of mini-version of the Holy Site project. Heathen Conversion and the Hero Twins were how in my last game I got my fortification line stocked with zombie guards.

They do!

5. Nerevatar

Nerevatar Warlord

I believe that would be possible to mod. I might get to it, but I already released two other mods for this mode :crazyeye:

6. Aurelesk

Aurelesk Prince

What a game to play!

« It is the year 2049. Gilgamesh is hurrying to the Alchemical Society. He is about to launch the Dark Signal and to subjugate the Zombies that roam his lands. For the occasion, Arthur is on his way, ready to transform those brain-eating monsters into devout questing Knights. Unfornately, the CO2 level reach the point of no return: the diseased holy-mounted walking-corpses found death in the impact zone of a meteor strike. »

I only played one game, so I didn't experience fully this game mode. So far: it seems to be more a threat to the AI than a player, because they love to improve every tiles with the nw improvements for some reason. I was not a Red Death enthousiast (even if I am glad it exists) and I am afraid that Zombie Defense, like Apocalypse, is a mod not made for me to enjoy. I will still try of few times to fully appreciate it (or unappreciate it) so I could forge my opinion. It is well-thought, just not my taste.

7. Tuvok694

Tuvok694 Civ6 addict

What I've seen in Youtube videos is enough for me to say that I will not use zombie mode. And frankly, I fail to understand how anyone can have fun with this.
    Barbarians are so annoying already and now they can spawn basicaly anywhere anytime and destroy whatever strategy you think you're playing. Just for people who enjoy torturing themselves.

FedorWin likes this.
  8. AsH2

AsH2 Prince

That doesn't sound right! It's like making friends with vegetables..
    Spoiler You can't.. :

9. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

So far for me it’s been enjoyable but a bit innocuous. I played Portuguese so i was trying to max trade and be peaceful, resulting in smaller uprisings and weaker zombies. Though when I did move into areas where wars had taken place then i had to put down the zombies.

it seems like it will be game dependent - if you’re involved in protracted cross-continent wars it will be insane. Massive multiplayer battles could result (in theory) in having to evacuate to islands as continents are overrun. I’ll have to play it warmonger with it to see...

Kotofei likes this.
  10. Nerevatar

Nerevatar Warlord

I decided sleep and playing was for the weak, so instead I made a third zombie-related mod which is now ready from Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2436725069 Enjoy your late-start Zombies :lol:

And now it is time for bed...

11. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Well, this mode had me playing Civ 6 for the first time in months, as the Ethiopians in a Highlands map. The Zombies are currently at 45 56 strength nearing the end of the Medieval Era. I'm also playing with Heroes & Legends, Tech Shuffle, and Secret Societies.

Hercules is an amazing hero to get for head smashing, and I went Sanquine Pact for the Vampires, who are roaming around tanking zombies in my territory. I structured my religion completely differently than I would usually, so that's been really fun actually. I went full defensive war, with faith from kills near Holy Sites and increased strength within my borders (which now gives +9 on hill tiles within my borders).

I've been able to hold them off and do pretty well, but their mutation bonus is starting to outstrip my units. Several city states have fallen to the horde, and my closest neighbor, Japan, has lost some outlying cities to them. I grabbed the Intelligence Agency to get an early spy so I can start running Infection(?) missions in Japanese territory, we will see how effective my dastardly plans are...

I mean, it's usually pretty rude to tell someone to get better at the game but it seems warranted here: barbarians are rarely an issue if you use some basic strategies to handle them. I've only been overwhelmed once by them since Civ VI was released, and that was due to some crazy RNG putting several horse camps basically right next to me.

The Zombies are making them more challenging, which is a good thing imo.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  12. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

I'm usually the peaceful, empire builder type of player but I think it's a nice change of pace.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  13. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I would like to know if GDRs can be killed and return as zombies. Think about it. Giant death robot zombies. It's like a Buckethead album name or something.

14. Yig

Yig Chieftain

I am curious though, are those of you on PC also experiencing zombies not caring about your units and opting to attack your cities when both are adjacent to them?

Kotofei likes this.
  15. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Even without the Zombie mode, they can go overboard with unproductive improvements - I sometimes see ares full of forts (luckily only deserts in most cases) and as soon as the green energies come they love to put down solar and wind enery everywhere. It is probably not easy to find a middle ground which makes the AI use this things, but to restrict it to a resonable extend at the same time.

16. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Not that but I have two zombies three tiles away from a city that have been standing still for ages. Though that may be a line of sight thing, hills and forests in between.

Reacting to myself: it's not as bad as I first thought. Playing on a continents with islands map. My home landmass, shared with Germany and Phoenicia seems to have quiet down a bit, just the occasional zombiespawn near my cities but they die fast. Colonizing new landmasses can be tricky though. Frigates help a lot though since the zombies can't hurt ships.

Kotofei likes this.
  17. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

According to a dev comment (I don’t remember who it was), this was a late change due to play testing and will be described in the civipedia with the next patch.
    Hence, this is apparently working as intended.

Pfeffersack likes this.
  18. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

You can have zombies and vampires, but not Stalin or Hitler. Go figure.

evahappy likes this.
  19. SaboteurINT

SaboteurINT Chieftain

How is experience (for player military units) gaining working on Zombies?
    Is that the same as on Barbarians? (something like normal exp gaining until 1st level, then only 1xp per action on 2nd level and above...)

20. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Same as barbarians.