ZombieNES: Vanity City

Eltain

Deity

I intend this as a fairly open zombie apocalypse survival NES. It'll take place in one city - Vanity City, PA. in 1974. Players control factions of some kind competing or cooperating to survive the end of the world.

Concepts:

Turns: Turns will either be 1 day each.

Orders: Orders should be brief, see example below.

Note - Not sending orders without warning twice will get your characters revoked and divided between your fellow players.

Food: Everybody poops because everybody eats, 1 food per turn, period. If your characters don't eat this turn, they will become very, very unhappy. Eventually this will lead to (violent?) insanity or death.

Classes: As a simplification and perhaps a gamey mechanic, all survivors will have common classes which dictate what they are good at, and what they are not.

survivor - can learn any class.
soldier - 5 attack. killing .
scavenger - 5 scavenge. scavenging for food, supplies, or farming.
builder - 5 build. fortification, construction knowledge/skills.
leader - 5 leadership. increasing happiness, recruiting new survivors.

Any task has a few certain types of skills needed to complete it quickly. Killing zombies easily requires soldiers, while recruiting terrified, hyped up junkies in their basement fortress requires leaders.

However, one character can only have one skill, unless augmented by items they possess. For example, a leader with a shotgun can kill and lead (easily), or a builder with binoculars can scout, scavenge and build. Go figure?

Items: Items come in a wide variety. Weapons, tools, animals, armor, containers, vehicles, whatever you happen to find; hell, even attempt to try to find. They all will have individual bonuses - the mechanics won't be known to the player, but it should be obvious from their descriptions. A character can conceivably hold as many items as they can manage to carry - though the more weighed down they are the better zombie fodder they will become.

I would like anyone who wants to participate to make a list of 5 characters they would want to control, 5 items they'd want to arm them with, and a short backstory of where they came from. You won't necessarily get all of these characters and items. Best of luck!

Spoiler Examples :
Sample stats: said:
Uppity Saints
40 food -6 daily
Samuel Wood-Kahn, Leader.
David Felix, Soldier. Shotgun.
May Parker, Soldier. Baseball bat.
Jacob Connor, Scavenger. Frying pan.
Valentine Olivia, Scavenger.
Max Reid, Builder. Nail gun, tool box.

Sample orders: said:
Have David accompany Sam to recruit the survivors in the Culver Rd Police Station. Sam will do the talking and David will stand there looking impressive with his shotgun.

May will protect Jacob and Valentine as they scavenge the gas station-general store on Washington av. Emphasis on food without expiration dates- twinkies, canned beans, etc. Any "luxury" food is secondary, such as soda-pop, candy bars, etc.

Max should continue to try to get the radio to work back at HQ and try to call anybody else with a radio to our fortress.

Banner courtesy of nutranurse.

Spoiler :

185 food
1 Kitten 'High King of Vanity City Alphonese van der Lufen von Whiskahoffen'

3 Bicycles

1 Bottle of Aspirin (5 uses)
5 Iodine Tablets (water purification)
5 1st Aid Kits (5 uses)
1 1st Aid Kit (3 uses)
1 Bottle of Honey (4 uses)

10 Galleons of Gasoline
2 5-Galleon gas cans. (empty)
1 Fire Extinguisher (2 uses)
10 Barricade Materials
3 Tool Belt

2 AK47s
1 Stick-With-Nails

Thomas Johnson; Leader; MP5K and carrying case [PRESUMED DECEASED]

"NPC"
Officer Stanislaus "Kaz" Kaczmerek; Soldier; Shotgun
Officer Maria Jaworski; Scavenger
Isaiah Wilkerson; Survivor; Machete [BURN WOUNDS]
Martha "Handy-Gun" Hannigan; Survivor; Iron Skillet [PENDING INVITE]

"thomas.berubeg"
"General" Tom Haley; Leader; Wheelchair, Pistol
"Major" James Sarvel; Builder; Crowbar
"Medic" Ken Tremblay; Scavenger; 1st Aid Kit

"Seon"
Mr. Richardson; Leader; Hunting knife
George; Builder; Crowbar
Bob Fulcher; Soldier; Hunting Rifle

"BananaLee"
Eliza Harding; Leader
Johnathan Cooper; Soldier; Shotgun
Sandy Bottom; Scavenger
Aaron Vetter; Scavenger

"nutranurse"
Alexander 'Wise One' Washington; Soldier; Combat-knife/knife-spear
Sebastian Gauthier; Scavenger
Maddie Star-Shine; Survivor; Psychadelic Drugs
Octavia Washington; Survivor
James "Tuna" Hofstedter; Scavenger; Riot-stick, Radio

"Gem Hound"
Richard; Scavenger; Weimaraner-Lab "Husky"
Donatello Rose; Scavenger; knife
Jessica; Soldier; Crowbar
Henry; Soldier; Home-Made Flame Thrower "Ol Faithful"

"Tycho"
Father Cornelius; Scavenger; whiskey bottle
Victor Harrison; Leader; Hatchet
Amanda Rose; Scavenger; Fork-Hoe (pickaxe)
John Cressick; Soldier; AK47, cigarettes

"MaxWar"
Frank Douglas; Leader; Steel-Shaft Iron Putter
Jimmy Burton; Scavenger; 9-Iron, heavy iron pipe
Asst. Prof. Jennifer Davidson; Soldier; .32 revolver, Simone de Beauvoir's The Second Sex
Graduate Assistant Michael Hofstra; Scavenger; Aluminum Baseball bat

Reserve - Kittens. Go ahead and post.

Likely Joining... However, what are your thoughts on renaming Commoner to "Survivor?" adds a bit more of a zombie apocalypse feel :)

That is a very good idea. :)

Deleted a boring idea.

Welcome VPD. Do you want to start at the VPD headquarters, or inside the barricade where I had originally planned players to start? Also, be warned, you might not get all of your characters at the start of the game.

The Sunnyvale Home Regiment
"General" Tom Hayley, Leader, Wheelchair, Pistol
"Major" James Sarvel, Builder, Crowbar, Pistol
"Corporal" Jayne Kob, Soldier, Machine Gun,
"Captain" Bernadette O'Malley, Soldier, Wheelchair, Assault rifle
"Medic" Ken Tremblay, scavenger, Medical Kit, Bus equipped with Wheelchair lift.

They all fought in the war, together. The terrible war of Sunnyvale Home, where every minute was a life or death battle against boredom. This Septegenarian Regiment, and thier tag-along nurse, have escaped from the Home, where the living were slowly dieing, to the outside, where the Dead are living. Honestly, most of regiment can't tell the difference. And now, armed with weapons from an overrun military checkpoint, They are ready to go out with a hell of a bang.

Hilarity ensues. However, I'd like to reign this in and say that there is one fort that the players' factions have previously set upon, and fortified. As in, all together. Unless there is consensus saying it should be otherwise?

How on Earth are you going to run so many NESes as per your signature?

Nonetheless, sign me up to this, please.

Just A Group Trying to Survive
Eliza Harding, Leader
Jonathan Cooper, Soldier, Shotgun
Sandy Bottom, Scav
Mike Smith, Scav
Aaron Vetter, Scav

Frankly, being caught with one's pants down during a zombie apocalypse might not be the coolest backstory, but that's exactly what happened to Eliza and Jonathan who were having a romp when the first zombies started going through the door of her apartment. Luckily, JC had a shotgun which was put to good use. As the group tried escaping, they bumped into a bunch of people looking around for food. They figured it'd be a good idea to hang around with the man-with-the-gun. And it was then that Eliza realised she had a knack for getting everyone to do what she wanted.

Once one dies another will pop up. I am not going to start them all at once. Welcome to the melting pot.

Vanity City Retirement Home

Mr. Richardson: Leader. Radio.
Captain Chervil: Soldier. Shotgun. Pistol.
George: Builder. Crowbar.
Mrs. Peach: Scavanger Binoculars. Crowbar.
Bob Fulcher: Soldier. Hunting Rifle.

Bunch of cool old guys.

At this rate the Retirement home folks will outnumber other survivors. I particularly like yours, BananaLee.

New Thinkers
Alexander 'Wise One' Washington; Soldier; Psychedelic Drugs, Combat Knife
A 'Nam veteran and once killing machine, Alexander Washington rides the waves of peace and love after his dark days fighting the Vietcong. He now leads a commune of 'New Thinkers' who seek to understand their liminal existence.

Roy 'Butterfly' Park; Builder; Psychedelic Drugs
A former engineer whose whole life collapsed after a nasty divorce. Lost and without purpose, Roy was saved by Alexander and the New Thinkers who presented him with a second chance at life.

Sebastian Gauthier; Scavenger; Camera, Van
A French journalist who has a reputation for getting into the most heated places on earth, Sebastian began to do an extensive report on the new-age hippie movements of America two years ago after his mother, a self-professed hippie goddess, died of cancer. Since then he has traveled all across the country interviewing various groups and was in the process of learning more about the New Thinkers of Vanity City when the zombie outbreak occurred.

Maddie Star-Shine; Survivor; Psychedelic Drugs
The child of two radicals who estranged themselves from society and immersed themselves in all the counter-culture movements during the 60's, Maddie has never known anything but the pursuit of the liberation of the mind from the body.

Octavia Washington; Survivor; Heavy Textbooks
Octavia is the sister of Alexander and was only in Vanity City due to a desperate attempt to reconnect with her estranged brother. After Alexander's return to America he seemingly abandoned his family, who in turn were wroth with him for adopting his 'immoral' lifestyle. Octavia, however, did not and took time off from college to find out what had happened to her beloved brother.

I also just thought of another awesome set of survivors: the Vanity Commune. It's pretty much a hippie commune that was protesting something within the city and all the items they have are psychedelic drugs and a van. D~: I cannot decide.

Edit: Yeah, that's what I'm going with. Editing first post.

The game is set in 1974.

Oh, missed that detail. Yeah, Alexander is fresh off the killing fields I guess. I'll edit Octavia to be Alexander's sister and the other characters' details.

Actually I think it'd be awesome to have them the way they are anyway.

Top Bottom