ZoneAlarm & Internet Connection Sharing

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
ZoneAlarm 6.0 (the free version) is preventing my internet connection sharing from working.

I've placed my network in the "trusted zone" (rather than the default 'internet zone'), and that's worked in terms of allowing file sharing etc. But the internet connection share isn't working.

I prefer ZoneAlarm to the windows firewall, but if I want the internet on two PCs simulataneously, then I'm having to to turn-off zonealarm and switch to the windows firewall.

Any suggestions? (I've even turned-off the firewall in the 'trusted zone' by setting the security level to 'low', but its still blocking it! :crazyeye: )

Well, you should try changing the firewall that (might) come in the router.

Another thing, if you go to 'show all connections' then go to the properties of your network.

From there go to the 'advanced' options and find the bit about sharing internet access from this PC.

Make sure that is checked.

I know that you have probably already done that, but it's worth a go.

Lozzy_Ozzy said:
Well, you should try changing the firewall that (might) come in the router.
Its a network hub, not a router - it doesn't have a hardware firewall.

Another thing, if you go to 'show all connections' then go to the properties of your network.

From there go to the 'advanced' options and find the bit about sharing internet access from this PC.

Make sure that is checked.

I know that you have probably already done that, but it's worth a go.
Yes - if I turn-off ZoneAlarm, then the internet connection sharing works fine - I turn-off zonealarm and turn on the windows firewall, and it works.

ainwood said:
Its a network hub, not a router - it doesn't have a hardware firewall.

Yes - if I turn-off ZoneAlarm, then the internet connection sharing works fine - I turn-off zonealarm and turn on the windows firewall, and it works.

Hmmmmm...

Well if everytinh is set to allow on Zonealarm I can think of nothing else...

Except I have had this problem with a program and ZoneAlarm...

I'm not that sure.

But what's wrong with ZoneAlarm?

It's probably the best free one I have found...

I have never had ZoneAlarm and ICS on the same computer (prefer built-in WinXP firewall or BlackICE), but I can confirm that there are no difficulties using ZoneAlarm on the other computers.

Have you set ICS to be a trusted application?

stormbind said:
I have never had ZoneAlarm and ICS on the same computer (prefer built-in WinXP firewall or BlackICE), but I can confirm that there are no difficulties using ZoneAlarm on the other computers.

Have you set ICS to be a trusted application?
ICS isn't actually a program, however it operates under a "Generics Windows Host Process" - that has been set as a trusted program.

I am starting to think that zonealarm 6.0 might not work - might try zonealarm 5.

ZoneLabs said:
ZoneAlarm Plus and ZoneAlarm Pro fully support Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). ZoneAlarm does not fully support ICS.
Storm's interpretation: Use WinXP firewall and save yourself a lot of hassle ;)

This might be an intentional effort to force an upgrade because for the most part, there is no value in using Plus/Pro versions. Using an old version may help. There does not appear to be any change in the firewall technology across all versions - only a change in complimentary features.

Top Bottom