1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Zonefree player

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Gelion, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Lately, I've been getting a lot of zone 1 DVDs. I dont live in the US and still would love to watch them not only at home but also on my laptop. Is there a good (verified) program that allows to view all DVD zones? I would love a freeare version (like CCCP), but could also buy it if necessary

2. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

There are a number of ways to accomplish this, involving different ways of bypassing both the software and hardware checks in place.

IMO, the best software to easily remove DVD encryption in real-time is AnyDVD. It's not free, but it's super easy to use, install, set the region in the software, and your movies will work in the player of your choice. Also includes settings to skip boring trailers and previews on DVDs.

A 21-day trial is available from the link, give it a shot if you'd like. They've got a 20% off sale running on the software at the moment, which they tend to do every couple of weeks.

3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

double post...

4. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

By the way - most DVD players are actually multi-region, but have been set to a specific region by software settings. That means that most can be 'hacked' - find a way of getting to the service menu, then set the region to '0' - multi-region. I used this to change my zone-4 portable DVD player to zone zero. There are a number of internet sites for this. Just put in your dvd player model, search, and follow the hack instructions.

5. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Im not 100% sure, but I think VLC Media player is multiregion.

I have been able to play russian and US dvd's on it, so unless russian dvd's are also region 1 it should work for your laptop.

As for the DVD player, do as ainwood said.

6. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Sounds what I was looking for, not expensive at all and actually legal ;)
    I will give it a try, thanks a lot :thumbsup:
    I will read the FAQ of course and just hope that the program simply "untags" the DVD region and does nothing more than that....

Yeah, my normal DVD players are either all-zone or have been modified to be that. The problem is DVD players in my desktop and laptop, I'm not exactly sure how I would do what you described. However now that I've got some idea I can do a more extensive googling :hatsoff:

Most of my DVDs are European, but due to a very nice site openning in my country I've been getting a lot of "cheap" American DVDs. Got some Russian ones too, but they seem to work fine everywhere ( ;) ).

I did see VLC Media player in the "free and useful programs" list in this forum, but it wasn't clear if it operates different DVD zones. If it did it would be a great and very simple solution for me. I wonder if anyone could confirm that?

7. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Uhhm, couldnt you confirm it yourself? Just download the program, its not that big.

8. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Thats what I would do, but I would not mind a second opinion ;)