Zones of Control Effect?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Tylerryan79, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Nicolas10

Nicolas10 Warlord

I'm assuming it simply refers to Unit Movement, i.e. if you're moving around a hex where an enemy unit is stationed, that unit has its movement reduced from 2 to 1. The interesting thing will be mounted units and whether they have a movement reduced from 3 to 2, or from 3 to 1; I'm guessing the former, but I'm not sure.

As for movement or attack... I'm assuming you can do either with you 1 point of movement.

2. Brota

Brota Warlord

Civ2 Calvary Zone of Control Hoooooooooooo.

Anyone else remember that?

3. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

I would assume the opposite; that all it does is restrict the number of tiles you can move, it doesn't remove movement/action points. So you could still move 1 tile then attack. But you couldn't move 1 tile adjacent and then move again.
    But a 3 move unit could move, attack and kill the unit they were adjacent to, then move again.

4. Hypernova

Hypernova Warlord

Just to complicate things further, it's been confirmed mounted units have 4 movement points...

5. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Except that cavalry in the screenshots have only 3 movement points. So, unclear.

6. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

One article (here), which was clearly an email exchange that took place before E3 had the 4mp for mounted units, but the the gameplay sequences from the video released yesterday (here, at about 2m:12s) show 3 movement points.

Do you have another source that supports the earlier article because if not I would be inclined to go with the more recent visual evidence.

Edit: Shucks...Ahriman beat me to the punch while I was hunting down the exact time in the video.

7. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Serves you right for being accurate and providing data :)
    All hail my mighty assertions!

8. Fortunately this will be different then in civII

9. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Civ3 technically had a zone of control in that you could lose a health point if you moved through the ZOC. But Civ2 is the most famous. They had an annoying ZOC where, if you tried to move through the zone, it would buzz at you and tell you you can't do it.

Here is different. Because every unit has two movement points, ZOC serves just to slow you down, rather than completely block you. But it is a defensive move so a unit on a hill can control the area around them (rather than have everyone ignore it and squeeze by).

10. qwerty25

qwerty25 Prince

Assuming their doing something like Battle for Wesnoth:

0 means empty space
    0 means zone of control for enemy
    E means enemy
    U your unit

-0-0-0-0-0
    0-0-E-0-0-0
    -0-0-0-0-0
    0-0-0-U-0-0

If your unit enters the Orange tiles they must stop.
    -0-0-0-0-0
    0-0-E-0-0-0
    -0-0-U-0-0
    0-0-0-0-0-0

On the next turn they may move normally if they go back to the normal "0"

-0-0-0-0-0
    0-0-E-0-0-0
    -0-0-0-0-U
    0-0-0-0-0-0

If they want to continue onto the next Orange tile they must stop again.

-0-0-0-0-0
    0-0-E-U-0-0
    -0-0-0-0-0
    0-0-0-0-0-0

You'll probably be allowed to attack the enemy if you enter the Orange tile, too.

Oh, and with ZoC you'll probably be able to stop units from moving far.
    -E-U-E-
    My unit can only move one tile away, on the next turn the units can surround me again. Of course this isn't such a big deal considering that most units can only move 2 tiles per turn. It will be more useful for stopping cavalry from running away when it is injured.

11. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

I think Querty25's drawing of what the ZoC looks like is exactly on the mark.

On page 1 of the IGN article, Jon Shafer says:
    On page 2 of the Gamespot article, Jon Shafer says:
    So it sounds like the move one tile is for all, including mounted units, to prevent you from rushing past. It doesn't say anyting as to whether you can attack when you move into a unit's zone of control. My estimation is that as long as you've got movement points left (e.g. you used the 1st movement point to enter the ZoC) then you can attack.

12. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

...but can still attack that turn.

13. Hypernova

Hypernova Warlord

I think it would be odd if both mounted and foot soldiers were limited to 1 movement point in the ZOC. Surely one of the main historical advantages of cavalry was their ability to flank easily? It would seem to make more sense if cavalry were halved in the same way, 4 movement points to 2 (or 3 movement points to 1.5, rounded up). But of course I know nothing of the details so perhaps it makes sense in the grand scheme.

14. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

They can flank more easily, by getting multiple moves when not in a ZoC. To avoid the ZoC you have to go around, so more movement points help you do this.

I think that if cav could still make 2 moves despite ZoC, then the ZoC would be pretty useless.

15. Tylerryan79

Tylerryan79 Emperor

Ok thanks everyone, and thanks qwerty25 for the great color coded example :)
    So just to sum up everything so I know I got this down pat

1. Enemy/your zone of control is all adjacent tiles.
    2. If a unit enters a ZoC, and wants to pass, they enter and must stop.
    3. If a unit enters a ZoC, and wants to attack, they may do so same turn if movement points allow it.
    4. If a unit is in a Zoc, and doesnt attack, the next turn they can only move 1 hex in ZoC, unless they leave ZoC, or attack.

Question: Do you believe we would be able to do 4, move one hex "deeper" into the Zoc, then use last regular movement point, and leave ZoC?

16. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

No. If you start in a ZoC and then move into another ZoC tile, you can't move to any new tiles.

[would be my guess]

17. Tylerryan79

Tylerryan79 Emperor

Ok, this whole ZoC made me slightly nervous, but now that I get it, I like it a lot. I was thinking that MP where kind of high, but with this it is going to slow things down a bit in battles.

@Ahriman~ Ya I figured that, but wanted to get all my basics covered, thanks. I'm glad you mentioned that you can move, then attack still if mp allow. Otherwise I may have spent my games wasting this.

Also, since all units will have ZoC when at war, and it circles the unit, if two units are close, then move so that their ZoC overlaps, who now controls the overlap? Does it go to the strongest, or if its my turn its their ZoC, then when its their turn, its mine?

Do you think a unit like a tank, or knight, has a larger ZoC, because they have a larger MP base?

18. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Basically.
    There's no reason why units from multiple factions can't exert control on the same tile; the tile doesn't "belong" to anyone in that sense.

No, it will be adjacent tile only.

19. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

I'll hazard a guess, though, & say that a Blitz promotion may well allow a unit to ignore enemy ZoC-though maybe only at higher levels ) i.e. Blitz III or Blitz IV. If I'm right, then that's going to make Blitz units *very* dangerous ;)!

Aussie.

20. qwerty25

qwerty25 Prince

In Battle for Wesnoth, units with the "skirmisher" ability can avoid ZoC.

They're mostly used to take down units that are running away with low hp or units that are out of formation. ( A lone spearmen a couple tiles away)

For those of you that still don't understand ZoC that well.
    Just think of it like a trap net. When you step on it you can't move anymore, but can still attack (assuming you have movement points left.) On the next turn you can move normally again.