Zoom oddness

malicious bloke

Warlord
Normally I zoom out two levels when I play, it just looks better to me that way. When I restart a save game it retains the zoom level I saved it at.

But when I load a saved game from a scenario (even if I saved the scenario at a certain zoom level) it resets it to default. Is there any way to stop it doing that?

No. :(

The only way I know of is to change your screen resolution to 800 x 600 or lower before starting Civ2.

Zooming out two levels is the same as pressing Shift+Z, which gives you the standard, 100% zoom level. That's how the game is supposed to look.

When Civ2 came out screens of 640x480 and 800x600 were the norm. I'm guessing that they "conveniently" let the game zoom in a bit if you had a higher resolution, so you could still see the game clearly enough on your 15" CRT or something...

I've had the same problem, and had a few goes at trying to fix it, ever since I first got a 17" CRT with a 1024x768 screen ~9 years ago.

Getting the texts to look good doesn't work on 1024x768 by just zooming to shift-z.

However, I noticed that by moving the windows startbar from the bottom or top of the screen to the left or right, I get a nice size for texts as well. Apparently the game zooms in when the horizontal resolution of the screen is 1024, and does not care on the vertical pixels. So the 20 or so pixels removed by moving the bar makes the zoom level for texts different.

This does not affect the in-game graphics, but that is easily fixed.

Top Bottom