Zorastrianism?

Zorastrianism?

• Yes, add Zorastrianism but keep Judaism.

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • Yes, replace Judaism with Zorastrianism.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • No, they are both bad ideas.

Votes: 12 15.0%

• Total voters
Here are the facts:

As most of you know, I wanted to expand religions.
At that time, Zoroastrianism had no decent building available.
Pagan religions too. They were needed, but only along with the condition of a religion removal system or just as fake religions (pagan buildings). But still, no buildings like the Pantheon available.
And for adding more tension in Europe, I had schisms implementation in mind.

But as you know, in February I rushed the remaining things to do, and dropped some of the features I had in mind to finish the major development in time.
Including this.

My oh my.
That would cause Islam to have only 10%!
Judaism, Christianity, Zoroastrianism and Islam..

I realize the importance of Zoroastrianism but it would ruin the religious aspect of the game.

Its called spread rates.

I personally modified some of the spread rates of the religons with every new release - mainly turing Islam up and Judaism and Hinduism down.

That doesn't change that every city in the Middle east will have at least 1 or 2 religions. You know that most of the Arabs who converted to Islam were pagans. Paganism is represented when there is no religion in a city.
I don't care about the spread rates.
Arabia usually conquers the Jewish Egypt, and Judaism doesn't disappear from the cities. Zoroastrianism would be in every city, with Judaism also, maybe.

One of Arabia's UHV is get Islam up to 40%.
That is more than impossible if Zoroastrianism is introduced.

An Idea:

Instead of adding pagan religions as 'religions' we could add them as perhaps great wonders.

Now then, I am thinking the wonder code might allow this, but if it doesn't, I think I can make it;

Now then, have a couple of 'Polytheistic Church' wonders, perhaps 3 total that can be built. These wonders give the following benefits:

+1 culture/happiness per obelisk in a city with no religion,

OR

+1 culture/happiness per obelisk with no state religion.

and then the wonder itself provides +4 culture, and obsoletes with...something

That way, once the 'modern' religions get here the polytheistic religions automatically go away sort of, but the wonder keeps contributing, which in a way represents how the modern religions were influenced by the ancient polytheistic religions.

EDIT: accidentally pushed enter, I might not be done talking my head off yet. ;)

Or if the 'until a religion comes to the city' modifier works, there is the possibility we could just have a 'pagan temple' building, (or there is also the possibility that a simple python event could 'remove' the temple from the city when a religion comes into the city or converts the temple into a temple of the modern religion.

Now, as for the modern religions, I think THIS would be a good list:

Christiantiy
Zoroastrianism
Islam
Hinduism
Judaism
Buddhism
Daoism

My reasons for removing Confucianism: I associate Confucianism less as a religion and more as a set of philosophical beliefs. Furthermore I don't see there being a formal 'Church of Confucianism' however, I admit I know next to nothing about Confucianism, so I am likely wrong about this. If so, someone who does know please tell me.

AND, even if it is a good candidate for a religion, The game mechanics would better work with just one religion in china, as currently there are 4 religions for 2, possibly three (Japan) civs, and that doesn't work so well.

OR, the Judaism as a wonder would actually be a very good way of representing it, as Judaism was never a large political force with the possible exception or recently, or as the standard scapegoat of Christianity, or certain fanatical rulers, to the best of my knowledge at least.

Eusebius World Religions has a system of wonders starting religions. Helenism is one of them. Adding these religions would be a problem because new religions don't spread to cities that allready have a religion. If you add the religions, there must be a system to remove religions then.

I have heard of a MOD that give religions a % of the people in a city that worship the gods of that religion. This way there can spread more religions in one city and the number of people worshipping can evolve in time (civics, state religion, presence of temple, nearby cities' religions, ... can be an influence) but this means more checks and a slower game, and this is against the rules of Rhyeism (forgive me, great lord of the mod ;) ). I don't know what mod has this function, but adding this would be very hard.

You can turn off the threshold for natural religion spread per city.

As far as wonders are concerned, I would rather see the wonder give you access to new temples, and those new temples becoming obsolete with Theocracy, Philosophy and Divine Right.

Get rid of Taoism, add in Zorastrianism. Confucianism had a great effect outside of china (SE Asia, Korea, and Japan were all influenced very greatly by it) while Taoism mostly exists in China, and only ever had any significant cultural influence in China. Zoroastrianism influence Judaeism, and by default, Islam and Christianity. Much more important than Taoism, though it is nice to move the religious shift away from the Middle East with Taoism.

I think this is an issue of game-balance v. historical realism.

A feature that would be great is that religions could die out, as they have in the real world, or at least that they become non-powerful and new religions take their place.

On Taoism: But China constitutes one third of the world population. The Middle east doesn't even come near half of that.

But do there really need to be 2 mainly Chinese religions in the game (3 if you count Buddhism)?

The Buddha was Indian.

Unrelated: Confucianism acted like a religion for all intents and purposes of morality.

Top Bottom