Zorastrianism?

Zorastrianism?

• Yes, add Zorastrianism but keep Judaism.

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • Yes, replace Judaism with Zorastrianism.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • No, they are both bad ideas.

Votes: 12 15.0%

• Total voters
As I said before: percentages in the cities that represent the number of people in the city that have a certain religion. This precentages can be influenced by the civics and the state religion and the religion in nearby cities.

If you have organized religion or theocracy, the percentage of a non state religion should go down. Religiuos freedom and freedom of speech could let it be stabilized.

The presence of temple, monastaries and cathedrals should have its influence too.

Problem is, that this system will slow down the game as more checks are needed. This system would problably work a bit like the stability system, and I don't think Rhye would like this.

@flyingchicken: Firstly, China only has around 20% of the worlds population, not a third. Secondly, not all of those people or even a majority are Taoists. If if every single person was a Taoist, I still don't believe its worthy of inclusion. Every single other religion next to Taoism (Hinduism almost falls into this trap.) has had a major influence on societies outside of the one that originated it. I'm sure some Mongols converted to Taoism during their occupation, but other than that, Taoism is important only to Chinese history, not the world as a whole. Zoroastrianism fits that category.

Saying Zoroastrianism has more world influence than Taoism is speaking in a Eurocentric point of view; during its time the Chinese, the Celts, the Indians, the native Americans, and many Africans did not care about Zoroastrianism.

Because Confucianism had the functional role of a religion in China, as the Chinese did not have the political and spiritual equivalent of the Church or any other kind of centralized religion?

A feature that would be great is that religions could die out, as they have in the real world, or at least that they become non-powerful and new religions take their place.

I was thinking the same thing!

Another idea I had was similarly simple:

Since pretty much every polytheistic religion was compatible with all the others, why not just have one? The characteristics could be a tad freaky even: no holy city, no missionaries, and the only benefit is the ability to build obelisks (suitably renamed to Temples or something) which otherwise cannot be built.

Give it a low spread rate, and make it so that it is the least favored religion for adoption (or maybe make it slightly more highly valued than Judaism, so that that spreads as a minority religion), and have a later game (medieval) religious tech permanently remove it from all cities in the nation that adopts it. It'd be an excuse to have a tech called "The Spanish Inquisition", and bring in that infamous line "Nobody escapes the Spanish Inquisition!" from History of the World pt 1!

Okay, so I got a little goofy, but it'd probably work, and it'd make more sense than a plethora (woot! I'm down to one last use of that word!) of national religious cults that didn't really exist. I mean, the Romans had no problems adopting Persian (Mithridates) and Egyptian (Isis) gods, and they wholesale lifted the Greek mythos, and they sure as heck weren't the only group practicing syncretism, just the most famous.

In conclusion, vote for me!

I'm aware of that, but Buddhism is more widespread in China than in India.

I'm pretty sure that that has always been arguable, and definitely so post Mao. The Cultural Revolution and the Communist Party have done a great job wiping out religion. Even indigenous stuff like Confucianism has been smacked hard, and what does remain is heavily influenced by the party (like the Chinese National Catholic Church),

^
Loyalty to the family, paternal dominance, and probably the high regard for education (why else are Asians stereotypically good at standardized exams? :)) and other very Confucian ways of living still exist in China.

Of course, a Chinese person should step up and give his/her say on the matter.

Christianity is happy being Catholic+Protestant+eastern orthodox

Maybe taoism+confucianism and become one religon ( chinese folk religon )

then for the 7th add Zorastrianism or other . . . ..

Do any changes as long as Judaism stays and Chirtianity is one .

But Taoism and Confucianism are fundamentally opposing in philosophy (one is strict with the adherence to the standing hierarchy and order of authority while the other one believes that hierarchy is essentially the root of all evil), whereas all the different sects of Christianity are fundamentally the same (they believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of/part of God).

Here's what I think would be good...

RELIGIONS:

- Christianity
- Judaism
- Islam
- Taoism
- Buddhism
- Hinduism
- Paganism (as an actual religion. ya know, Roman/Greek/Egyptian gods and goddesses) or Hellenism I suppose and keep it just Roman/Greek

Christianity is happy being Catholic+Protestant+eastern orthodox.

Somebody has sniffed to much incense.

Those three are as happy as 3 fighting cockerals. :lol:

Well Rhye could include the enchilada and include:

Islam - Sunnia, Shia, Suffi
Xianity - Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox
Judaism - No splinter movements
Zorastrianism - No splinter movements
Baha'i - No splinter movements
Hindu - Shiva, Brahman, Vishnu
Buddhism - Therada, Traditinal
Sihnks - No splinter movements
Jains - No splinter movements