1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Zulu Deity Photojournal

Discussion in 'Playthroughs and Photojournals' started by IcyAngel, Dec 5, 2017.

1. IcyAngel

IcyAngel Prince

I am getting schooled by readers. :cry:

You're right! The 100 turns were a way to keep myself honest I think, because this takes a lot more time than it looks so I didn't want to get lazy.:p
    100 turns at a time means I had a set goal not to deviate from.

I'll try to make shorter segments.

2. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

That's an old bad habit of mine :D

EDIT."(Anyone has a real-life explanation has to how killing a unit could translate to culture? Bard singing songs about your murderous ways maybe?)"
    I'd bet that there's some bureaucracy going on to make account for the bragging rights. You know, who's earned enough prestige to be rewarded with the property of a small piece of conquered land.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  3. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost King

Culture in Civ is quite abstract and nonsensical, but I imagine it represents those proud warrior cultures that were all the rage in ancient times.

@IcyAngel, you’ve mentioned trying out modded civs and the 3UC/4UC mod. Any thoughts on using some of those in a future play through? We could use the publicity. :D

4. IcyAngel

IcyAngel Prince

The Goths are in my AI pool actually, so it's possible they're in this game but on another continent. :p

But I could definitely play as one or force them as one of the AIs in my next playthrough. :)

5. IcyAngel

IcyAngel Prince

Part two, or the fall of Indonesia and the godlike ascension of Ethiopia: https://imgur.com/a/oNt12

(Much lighter part, btw.)

vyyt and Gokudo01 like this.
  6. DarkZero

DarkZero Warlord

I believe modern day american military is a great example of culture from killing, and so is old time america but whatever, the point is that not only military discipline is a culture on itself but the whole us vs them mentality and how having your army crushing their army (each unit in civ represents an army of units) end sup whit medals and parades and why not, movies totally based on the "real events" of those battles, I guess you can replace movies whit the form of media of the time, from cave drawing, to bards ballad's,to books, to radio shows all the way to television.

Shaktar likes this.
  7. IcyAngel

IcyAngel Prince

Communitas has too many resources; I usually play with sparse resources, but I was thinking with 9 players instead of 8 it would balance things out. Apparently not!

I only had 2 happiness, I couldn't exactly afford a hit. :p I'm a conservative player by nature - I don't like diving into the negatives. Perhaps why I don't make a very good pure warmonger?!

I thought about tributing, but you need to get all your units around the city-state and I was busy chasing barbarians or fighting with other civs. But clearly it doesn't flow naturally to me -because of inexperience-, so I would probably do much better on following playthroughs.

No ragequitting for now. :)

I am hopeful Impis can beat back anything!

Is that pantheon really any good? I will try it in the future. And there ain't any religious CS on this continent, unfortunately.

8. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

I'd like to chime in that I just did 100 turns as Zulu. God of War was enough to get me religion more or less on it's own. It gives triple CS as faith, so getting in an early war buffs your faith output and hurts your enemy.

9. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

It does have the downside of only providing faith, but yea its really good. It provides a lot of faith, triple the culture per kill of authority

10. Moochamoola

Moochamoola Chieftain

Also provides more combat strength for your cities, in case you ever find yourself on the defensive side of a war! Combine that with the new fealty and your cities are demolishing units mid game (if your enemies make it to your cities that is)

11. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Emperor

@IcyAngel as far as i see, you had +5 happiness and still you raze Indonesian city. Moreover you then settled your own city in the exact same place later. Does it make any sense? You lost 1 or 2 buildings that he had in this city, you lost production for Settler to settle there, you lost all the production that this city could generate as a puppet, you lost 1 or 2 population and you lost an ability to get unique luxury earlier. All this is in exchange for no more than 5% of your science and culture, which is about 2,5 science and culture per turn. You are really too afraid of unhappiness, you can play comfortably with -8 before Renaissance and with 0 before Industrial.

vyyt likes this.
  12. PapaRockett

PapaRockett Prince

Why the hell did Haile attack you? Genuinely confused

13. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

As I was saying, bureaucracy.

14. ashendashin

ashendashin King

There's also trophies and learning about the enemy. You say it's about glorifying murder, but I'm not sure how often mass executions got glorified. Defeating an enemy unit doesn't mean you murdered every last man. There's loot and prisoners to deal with. If you put it abstractly, you can get just about anything when you're defeating entire armies. Takes all sorts of resources and non-combatants to keep things moving.

15. IcyAngel

IcyAngel Prince

The city has no buildings; my reasoning was that if I puppet and don't get to choose the buildings, this city will be so behind that it will produce a lot of unhappiness, likely enough to reduce my yields by a similar percentage as annexing would.You can argue I should have simply annexed to save myself the cost of a settler then, which is somewhat true.

I'm just not used to play like this - usually with Progress by this time in the game I have a lot of happiness to spare. I probably get scared a bit too easily!

16. IcyAngel

IcyAngel Prince

Also, Ethiopia has now entered the Modern era, and we are still in Medieval. Fun times! :p

17. saamohod

saamohod Prince

Hey, it would probably be awesome if you created video series on youtube, no? Listening and watching video is more pleasant than reading and looking at screenshot. I know it takes more effort to create a video, as well as more confidence and character, but still :p...

P.S. What map generation script did you use?

18. IcyAngel

IcyAngel Prince

The 100 turns parts with a lot of commentary took 3-4 hours each to put together, not including the gametime itself. So videos would be less time intensive for sure. :p

I strongly considered videos, except a few people already do those -e.g. Marbozir, Martin Fencka, PotatoMcWhiskey-, and some people cannot watch videos (disability, limited bandwidth) or prefer to read text, so I opted for this.

Between written playthroughs I could film unedited playthroughs for a change and to free myself some time.

19. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost King

I personally prefer the text version. Much less time-intensive for me to read a text-based playthrough than to watch a video.

vyyt likes this.
  20. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost King

... Yikes. Is that normal for Deity, or is it just this version?