Zulu Deity Photojournal

IcyAngel

Prince
Hello,

I was hesitating to continue my Morocco photojournal considering the significant changes brought by the last two patches, but I accidentally quick saved an Assyria game over my Morocco quick save (that habit will kill me x.x) therefore the choice became easy. :)

You guys wanted warmongering and I am a man of the people, therefore I bring you the Zulu! Here are the settings:

Deity
Standard speed
Standard map size
Communitas
9 players & 18 city-states (the Communitas map is too big and advantages wide civs)

Transparent diplomacy ON
Research agreements ON
Vassalage ON
Events system ON
Bad events OFF
Tech trading ON
Tech brokering OFF

By popular demand -and, logically, because I am playing Shaka- I left off Chill Barbarians, and am also playing on standard speed instead of Epic. Note that I have never played on standard speed with Vox Populi, so my intuitions regarding timing will certainly be off - but it should be fun anyway. :)

I'll reiterate that I don't know what will happen during this playthrough; I play 100 turns, make an imgur album then I post it here before playing the next 100 turns, rinse and repeat - i.e. I'm as much in the dark as you guys are.

Yours,

Icy

Interesting opening, its extremely different than how I play the Zulu (not saying I'm right, I just want to point out differences)

I always make bronze working my 2nd tech and save all my gold to upgrade warriors to spearmen, and build the Ikanda earlier (probably where you would have build the settler). In my experience the extra movement and power can help to kill some more camps and sometimes even grab tribute. If you get forward settled due to delayed pottery, the problem tends to resolve itself. I'd consider getting swordsmen earlier too, maybe before mathematics. Your melee units can knock down cities in groups (not capitals though)

I would have considered building the shrine earlier and taking God of All Creation. Its strong in science and really helps the capital develop quickly.
How can you not like skirmishers :sad:? Your Terracotta Army timing isn't late but its not early either. I'd say you probably still get get it.

Oh, and if you are building a warrior and discover spearmen, all the hammers into the warrior get put into a spearmen. No waste, no worries.

Last edited:
Glad you chose Zulu! Very fun civ to play with.

If I were you (as someone else advised me), I'd rush iron working to get Ikanda/spearmen on the first turn, then trapping afterwards. Ikanda just turns all melee units into superhuman and with archers you can easily take any nearby city. Barbs also collapse with your promoted units.

Also, that's a really crowded start!

Guys somehow I think I've lost already. :lol:

Ethiopia is 4 social policies and 12 techs ahead the runner-up (me), and has the biggest military by far. I will pray until Impis arrive. *-*

Guys somehow I think I've lost already. :lol:

Ethiopia is 4 social policies and 12 techs ahead the runner-up (me), and has the biggest military by far. I will pray until Impis arrive. *-*
Have you played the Zulus before? If not you will fall in love with the impis

What policies has Ethiopia took? I would just denounce him and try to get everyone else onboard

OR, send trade routes to him to catch up a bit, but hammer him with spies while you prepare for D-day!

I just quoted and posted about similar concerns in the patch thread, no, you're not going to catch him :p

One thing that i found strange is the amount of resources that you have in every city. Is it Communitas feature? Cause i usually have like 1 lux and 2-3 bonus resources and find it okay. But you have like 7-8 resources in every city, thats crazy.

I completely do not understand why did you raze that city, you were positive in happiness and you could puppet it. I agree with CrazyG that it is better to get Shrine first, cause you can get a lot of stuff from early Pantheon
I never saw you demanding tributes and with Zulu's UA and a cultural City-State nearby this was really something that you should have done, i'm pretty sure you can get a free policy with it!

Overall was nice to read. I have a lot of other small ideas on how to do things better but i'm too lazy to write a page of text, and i can't explain my thoughts without it, sorry.

Ethiopia is 4 social policies and 12 techs ahead the runner-up (me), and has the biggest military by far. I will pray until Impis arrive
Previously i'd say thats okay, but with the new AI bonuses that might be problematic.

Some other thought:

After resources were changed Coffee is by far the worst resource in the game, i thing it needs something. And Whales should loose 1 science, 2 with a boat is too much
Continets type of map makes warmongering MUCH easier cause you are very protected by land

One thing that i found strange is the amount of resources that you have in every city. Is it Communitas feature? Cause i usually have like 1 lux and 2-3 bonus resources and find it okay. But you have like 7-8 resources in every city, thats crazy.

Communitas is very luxury heavy compared to Tectonic.

After resources were changed Coffee is by far the worst resource in the game, i thing it needs something. And Whales should loose 1 science, 2 with a boat is too much
Continets type of map makes warmongering MUCH easier cause you are very protected by land

Yeah. I do think Coffee's base bonus should be 1:c5food: 1:c5production:, to match tea, and the improvement 1:c5gold: 1:c5faith:, as a sort of Cotton alternate.

Well didn't try tectonic either, i play only standard maps cause 95% of my games are multiplayer. And out of them 90% are Pangea cause i like the game to be tough

I mentioned Tectonic because IMO it has basically the same luxury distribution as vanilla, whereas Communitas has much more.

I mentioned Tectonic because IMO it has basically the same luxury distribution as vanilla, whereas Communitas has much more.
Ye i see. I recall one game that i had like half a year ago where i had ridiculous cities with 8-9 resources each, and on turn100 my cities had more buildings than my friend's, but he was playing Authority.

I would also like to add that I find getting a religion to be easy if you war early. Rush that first shrine to get God of War pantheon. Heavy tribute any and all religious CS you can, and you're well on your way to a religion as long as you're killing units early.

Ye he could have played more aggressively early on, he said it's been some time since his last Authority+Standard Speed so let say it's a warm up game. A pita it happened on a patch that needs some fine tuning still, judging by some players reports at high AI handicap.

First 100 turns: https://imgur.com/a/8TBao

(I realize it doesn't make sense to do 100 turns segments on standard, so I'll probably do 75 turns from now on.)
I find it silly to divide periods in number of turns. If you have a period with little to do, you are finished in 10 screenshots. Try to adjust the lenght of your posts instead. Something like 35-40 screenshots for every post. Makes it easier for your readers.

Top Bottom