zyxy01: Russian Polar Expedition

Great job zyxy. It's hard to believe that this is the same game that we had at the start. Let the Domination countdown begin.

Got it. Looks interesting. I'll try to play a bit tonight but I may not be able to get too far until tomorrow.

SimpleMonkey. Screen shot of the current action zone is difficult as it is quite widespead but here you go:

For our lurkers, a little bit more info on domination and flipping may be of interest:
Spoiler :

We still have lurkers :).

It is amazing how easy this went. I think we were quite lucky with the first opponent, England. And with the placement of the iron source. In nero05 we were not so lucky with the Iroquois early on, and never really recovered from that.

Cumae is a flip risk, but we wanted to take out the Roman saltpeter. Anyway, Rome will hopefully fall next turn, and then it should get easier to control the flip risks.

Good luck, Tone!

Ever since the save was posted my life has got busier and so the time I thought I had to play has just evaporated. I should be OK to finish tonight though but if I'm not I'll ask for a skip rather than mess you around.

1525 (0)
all looks OK. I press enter

IT
A number of cossacks are built and Rome moves a few units. We have no losses.

1530 (1)
Attack on Rome: a couple of 4/4 cossacks are lost but the defense is poor for a Deity AI's capital. They are not going to last much longer. (I cannot link up with Cumae yet though as culture from Neapolis and Antium is far too great.)
Attack Eburacum and take the town and thus the island SW of Rome is ours.
Mop up assorted Roman troops behind the lines.

1535 (2)
Troops advance on Antium-defended by rifles. Exploring frigate sees that Neapolis is only defended by muskets so I take a few cossacks from Cumae to attack next turn. Same for pompeii so I drop the reinforcement due for Byzantium outside the town and send a few cossacks from Byz to help.

IT
No romans counter-attacks! A few cossack builds.

1540 (3)
Attack on Antium: 1st cossack does nothing except promote a 4/4 rifle to 5/5! The next attack reduces it to 2/5 with our cossack withdrawing and reveals a 4/4 legion. Two attacks later and all that is left is a longbow. Send in an elite and...

I like playing with you guys. So many Great Leaders! :) (Antium falls)

Attack on Neapolis: After the first cossack kills the musket, two cossacks withdraw from the heroic legion but the last cossack takes the town.

Attack on Pompeii: Pop has dropped by two points so I'm expecting a conscript or two. First two attacks kill a musket and legion. Third reduces the legion to 1hp but fails and the 2/2 rifle shows. there's only one conscript though and with two more attacks we have the town.

Rome's palace has hopped across the sea and it is a shadow of its former self!

Troops move on Ravenna, Lugdunum and Hispalis

Good invasion plan, boss! So many options to hit them from all angles.:goodjob:

1545 (4)
Attack on Lugdunum: Two cossacks defeat defending muskets and then the third retreats from a longbow! Fourth one takes the town.

Attack on Hispalis: We lose a cossack to a musket and another to a longbow but take the town eventually.

Then send army into Syracuse and defeat a longbow but the tough fight in Hispalis prevents any further attacks here this turn.

Attack on Ravenna: The hill town requires two cossacks for each defender but we take no losses and our forces prevail. Remainder of healthy troops advance on Caesaraugusta (egyptian target) and Syracuse-the only two Roman towns left on their (former) core island.

IT
Caesaraugusta is razed by the Egyptians.

1550 (5)
We raze Syracuse (size 1) and thus kick the Romans from their mainland.

I rush a couple of settlers from the old Roman core.

A number of libs rushed but there's still a fair bit of resistance in the Roman quarter.

1555 (6)

Build New Moscow as close as I can get to the Egyptian landbridge. Also build New St Petersburg. Start to transport troops over to the last Roman cities.

1560 (7)
Egypt has adopted communism. Drop troops around the last Roman island.

1565 (8)
Attack on Hippo Regis: cossacks defeat legion and spear to take the town.
Attack on Palmyra: cossacks defeat the pair of spears.
Attacks on Nicomedia: cossacks defeat the vet rifle and pair of spears leaving the Romans with just one town left. I drop 4 cossacks off to compete with the Egyptian longbow.
Rushed a couple more libs and some settlers.

IT
The Egyptian longbow is taken out by a Roman one. We get a number of border expansions, mainly due to the lib rushes a few turns ago.

1570 (9)
Cossacks take out the defending pike and spear and ...

I build three new towns. Territory figures are as follows.

We have a number of lib builds on the way and other border expansions soon that will take some of that unclaimed territory. A couple of resisting towns should stop now that that Romans are out of it and then we can rush a few more libraries. We need more settlers though.

We could make it a little more interesting if we take over Egypts core. What do you think? I'm happy either way as I guess that I've played my last turn set. I just think that the next players might want a more active turnset.

I'll leave the remainder of the movements for McLMan. (Beware: I moved one of the rifles in the fort outside New Moscow one tile before deciding that this will be a good place to stop and reconsider our next move.) I was going to send the settler by Byz behind the Egyptian roadblock. There are three settlers just built that could be chained over there as well, not that all three need to go there yet as there is a big hole in the island SW of Rome.

Our leader is unused in New Moscow as I wanted separate cossacks to finish off the Romans rather than another army. Now that we may be facing a fresh enemy we may want to build the army again. Just watch out for the towns with resistance before you move cossacks out of former Roman towns.

McLMan-up
nero-on deck

There are enough unclaimed to win without going into any more war however for style points I say we go for conquest. If we can. Thats my opinion but its obviously up to the team

Well done Tone!

I would head for Egypt as well, it's more fun than rushing settlers and libs. But it's up to McLMan I think. I don't really expect to get another set in this game.

Pre-turn.
Conquest Huh? Conquest it is. Took a long time to look around and see the lay of the land. Conquest isn't going to be swift because we have so many invasions to We're in pretty good shape for going for the heart of Cleopatra's territory, so that's where I'll concentrate my efforts this tunrnset. I'll also look to try to set up for taking another island. There hasn't been but one move so far this turn so this will be my turn #1.

Turn 1) 1570 AD
Here is the situation.

Move stack out of New Moscow. Consider holding off for one turn to get better situated for taking Aurelianorum but I don't think it will be a problem.

We grow tired of their insolence, they're scum.
Hit the fortified musket with cannon shots to redline him, and then take him out with a vet Cossack.
Push an army ahead of the stack where it comes upon a rifle. It dispatches of the rifle without taking a hit. The RNG catches up with a vengence as the army is then defeated by a 2nd rifle that was behind the 1st.
Cleopatras Frigates worry me, I take the offensive with our lone Frigate in the North Sea but he loses to a Vet Frigate.

IT
It's pretty disastrous. Cleopatra has a pretty large Navy. We lose 2 Galleons (neither loaded) to Ironclads. Cleopatra sends a sword in to take on a fortified Cossack at Plain Town and ...

In a rater odd move, Cleopatra sends several Cavalry behind our stack. It will be like shooting fish in a barrel.
We learn Electricity. Decide I'd like Infantry and Artillery sooner rather than later, so with 2863 gold in the bank I research Replaceable Parts at 60% (max without defecit), due in 11

Turn 2) 1575 AD.
Cannon redline eveything in sight near New Moscow and we clear out Cleopatra's invaders fairly easy. Send the Knight Army to reclaim Plain Town and Cleopatra had already rushed a Cavalrythere. Army takes care of the Cavalry while a Cossack mops up the Knight that took it in the 1st place.

We capture 2 workers and Aurelianorum.

IT
Cleopatra flexes her Naval muscle and bombs improvements near our corrupt towns. One infantry unit appears out of her core.

Turn 3) 1580 AD
Plodding along toward Egypt. Cannon move and redline infantry and Cavalry. Dispatch of both.
Naval Moves.

IT
Cleopatra has 5 infantry units and a Settler that come swarming from her core. One kills a cossack that I had put on a mountain to take a peek at what's ahead. An Egyptian Frigate destroys one of our Galleons (again not loaded). We have a bunch of units complete. Our Persian core is getting up to speed. Reinforcements shouldn't be far behind. Making the long trip to Egypt is going to be the main problem. Luckily Egypt seems intent on pillaging tiles near corrupt towns. If the AI knew how to use navies we'd be in some trouble, reinforcemnts would never reach her shores.

Turn 4) 1585 AD
Our Navy scores a victory as one of our Ironclads sinks an Egyptian Frigate. Cannon damage all of the infantry but there were a lot of misses. 2 Cossacks kill 2 red-lined Infantry and capture the Settler. The other Egyptian stack now contians 3 yellow-lined infantry. 1st Cossack kills one, 2nd Cossack is redlined then withdraws. A 3rd Cossack kills one easily, and an army is badly damaged but kills the 3rd.

IT
An Egyptian Ironclad sinks our victorious Ironclad. A whole lot of pillaging by Cleopatra's Navy. More troops pour out of the Egyptian core this time no infantry, 3 Cav, 3 rifles and a musket.

Turn 5) 1590 AD
Another naval victory for us as an Ironclad sinks another Frigate.
The stack doesn't advance as the cannons reline all of the nearby Egyptian units. We lose a Cossak and a Rifleman while eliminating 3 Cavalry and 2 of the Egyptian Rifles. Our stack is holding it's own, but the units in it are getting weak so I break off the attack for now. Next turn I'm going to retreat to the fort E of New Moscow.
2 Cossacks kill a Musket and a Longbow S of Aurelianorum

IT
We lose a Galleon and an Ironclad to Egyptian Ironclads. Cleopatra makes some landings. 2 Cavalry and a Knight are dropped off Next to Ulundi, and a lone longbow lands N of Aurelianorum.

Turn 6) 1595 AD
WW begins to set in. Manage it with taxmen in a couple of towns.
A vet Cossack kills the Longbow N of Aurelianorum.
Move 6 Cannons and 3 Cossacks fortified in our core to Ulundi and dispose of the invaders without taking any losses.
Retreat stack to Fortification E of New Moscow.

IT
One of our Galleons succesfully defends itself and sinks an Ironclad.
2 more landings this time. A lone Cossack next to Ulundi, and 2 Cavalry next to Brundisium.
Cleopatra plops a city RIGHT NEXT TO our stack.

Turn 7) 1600 AD
Cannons attack the Infantry in Cairo. Vet Cossack takes him on.

I give Shaka Iron, Horses, and Banking to get him to join vs. Egypt. Maybe Cleopatra will go pillage HIS land for a while.
Other than that, healing and worker moves.

IT
Bringing Shaka in seems to have helped, as many of the pillaging Egyptian ships leave. Egyptian Cavalry kills a Vet Cossack and we lose Artaxata.

Turn 8) 1605 AD
We re-take Artaxata with 2 Cossacks beating 2 Cavalry.
Bringing reinforcements to attack force E of New Moscow.
An army has healed and I move it toward the Egyptian Capital to pillage.

IT
One of our Vet Galleons succesfully defends against a Frigate and is promoted to Elite.
Our Ironclad sinks 2 Egyptian Ironclads and is promoted to Elite.
We lose a Galleon to an Egyptian Frigate.
No pillaging.

Turn 9) 1610 AD
Bringing Reinforcements
Egypt is willing to negotiate. Cleopatra currently has Communism, Democracy, Economics, Navigation, and Replaceable Parts.

IT
We lose an Ironclad to an Ironclad.
A galley (full of Cossacks) sucesfully defends vs. a Frigate
Cleopatra re-founds Cairo in the same spot.

Turn 10) 1615 AD
It takes 8 cannons to redline the Infantry defending Cairo, but a Cossack loses only one HP in taking it and destroying the City. Stack healthy and has some reinforcement so I move it toward Oryx.

Not a very productive turnset at all. I managed to do little more than start a war that I couldn't do anything in other than play whack-a-mole against some landings. The stack is healed and on the move again, several reinforcements are being built every turn and we still have a decent supply chain despite the Egyptian Navy. I've moved one boat-load of workers to the Egyptian/Roman continent to put in some rails. We'll be able to pull some defenders once we get it railed. RP due in 3 turns, and we have enough gold to upgrade some Cannons. Tough part is going to be a city with a Rax.

*****The Save*****

Ouch, infantry and cavalry is nasty. Can we pillage Egypt's rubber, and salt or horses? We'll need to be able to see rubber first, of course. At least you managed to hold the fort nicely :king:.

Once we get some infantry of our own it should at least be easier to defend our cities against cavs. Some more ironclads might be needed to whack the Egypt navy.

Which means: tupac is up.

Hmm, looks like I'm going to get another turn after all. Unless tupac pulls off a miracle...

Alrite, will play this afternoon after I get back from school. Looks like I'll get to do a little bit of :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: after all!

Egypt, I'm gunning for you :ar15:

Pre-flight Check.

At this point a few beakers or gpt wont make any difference so I only MM the big cities. We have RP due in 3. One big question though... why do we have a cossack army in the middle of Egyptian territory??? Armies can't pillage so what is it doing? Picking off workers? Will send hopefully 2 or 3 cossacks to join it so we can go a pillaging. Also we are bring 2-man knight armies to the fight... why?? They are absolutely useless against Infantry. A 4-man knight army would be lucky to yellowline a vet Infantry. And definsivly they arnt crash hot either. Still I guess every city needs a garrison...

Hit enter.

IBT - Our attack stack is attacked by 5 cavs, first retreats against our rifle causing 1 hp damage. The 2nd is killed by our rifle but our rifle is redlined (1-0) then a cav kills an elite Cossack after the Cossack was full health and the cav was redlined... (1-1) thats bad luck if it happens once... but twice (1-2) and three times!?!?! (1-3) there goes our elites. That made me nearly want to cry. Why was just 1 rifle defending the entire stack?

Turn 1 - 5 cossacks are built so numbers wise we are up, still I hate losing elites. Send the rifle sitting under the army at the choke to the main stack. Fortify the army there. Start cannon fire on the stack sitting in frnt of ours, however 4 vet infantry won't be easy to take out. In fact it was pretty much a waste of time as I fail to even yellowline the 4 of them with the entire cannon stack. Wouldn't even consider attacking them with the luck I've had so far.
Egypt has at least 3 sources of saltpetre and probably about the same of horses. Pillaging them is virtually out of the question. Rubber may be a different story, will no in 2 turns. Spend just under 1000gp rushing temples here and there. Load a bunch of guys into galleons. What is our leader for? A cossack army? An Infantry army? there arnt any wonders we are waiting for? Want to see some combat we initiate so I take a deep breath and attack a 3hp Infantry with a 4/4 vet cossack... and win! Ok maybe I'm not totally hated by the RNG atm. (2-3) Decide to push my luck and another win! (3-3). Decide to keep pushing and win the next fight (4-3) the next two cossacks retreat but we finish off the infantry for no losses (5-3). Send two redlined cossacks to take part in the pillaging with el army. In order for them to meet up the army has to kill a musket and it does without losing any hp (6-3).

Worker moves and loading more dueds but really thats it for turn 1.

IBT - The zulu get wiped out... they provided a very short distraction. It looks like its going to be a fight to the death now. Winner takes all. Also RP which was due in 2 turns when I hit enter, comes in. Set to Industrialization at min.

Turn 2 - Found Cleo's Coffin. Egypt has 3 sources of Rubber we have lots. Will upgrade cannons to artillery as feasible. But first a cannon barrage redlines an infantry pair and its finished off by cossacks. (8-3) Send the remaining cannons to be upgraded at Cleo's Coffin (which rushed a barracks). Pillage the first of Egypt's rubber sources. One is overseas the other two here on the main continent. Take out an egyptian settler pair (9-3). Will get more leaders so decide to make our leader into an army, will fill it with infantry as that becomes possible.

IBT - An egyptian ironclad sinks one of ours. As I left the city on the choke (New Moscow) undefended a massive army of egyptians move that way. Haha, say goodbye to a good chunk of guys cleo!

Turn 3 - A bunch of cossacks and settlers build, as well as that all important barracks at Cleo's coffin. I upgrade 1400gp worth of cannons. Kill the the stack that can actually do somethign this interturn. (16-3) the slow movers can be picked off by our new artillery next turn. Also upgrade 6 rifles. Next turn we are going to have virtually our whole empire go into disorder. We are running 52% unhappiness in size 12 cities from 'All we're saying is give peace a chance!' Raise lux slider to 20% to keep all important cities happy, my suggestion is if it reaches 50% then revolt to Monarchy. Not much else in this turn, next turn can start the offensive, backed up by artillery.

IBT - Just about every corrupt city goes into disorder. A massive number of egyptian troops rock up around Cleo's Coffin. We lose 4 workers and a cannon which i fat fingered onto the wrong square. Every tile around Cleo's coffin is taken up by egyptian troops.

Turn 4 - Cleo is going to feel this. However first I decide to deal with other landings. And ouch... RNG is not with me, lose 2 elite cossacks to take 1hp of a vet cavalry on grassland. Fortunately 2 more cossacks manage to avenge them killing both the landed cavs (18-5). Wipe out all the egyptians around Cleo's Coffin (32-5). Artillery rock! Decide to use their 2 tile range to take out Oryx. Lose 2 cossacks doing it (both full health vets against the redlined cav yet had no trouble against the infantry... :confused:) (33-7)

IBT - The egyptian navy shows up and devestates our tiles. I've never seen ironclad bombards succeed so many times in 1 turn. I have a feeling the RNG is having fun atm. Lose an ironclad and a redlined cossack. (33-9) and 3 infantry and a cav land on a mountain next to an undefended Veii. Veii is going to die. There is no way to defend it. This isn't quite going to plan I have to say.

Turn 5 - Egypt won't give anything but a pitiful amount of gp for peace so thats out. I will have to abandon veii to prevent us being raped by WW. Pick off all the new Egyptian troops who rock up heading toward the undefended New Moscow. I'm actually quite pleased I took the defences out there, if need be we have a rail to get guys back there to defend (against landings say) but if they try and slog their way there on foot we can pick off whatever they send with artillery and our 2 knight/cossack army combos.

I'm going to take a pause here. Not handing over the save but a pause. I want to know what we think are our options here.

Here is the situation as i see it:

The war is going nowhere. And its going there slowly. We can gradually edge our way across Egypt. Style points for conquest and all that, I was the one who brought that idea up so blame me there. But edging our way is going to take a long time, the mountainous terrain isnt helping us there by cutting off our Cossacks high movement, and they have to wait for artillery support anyway. The landings have made me consider our position, we are in very real danger of losing our outlying colonies, our defences there are paper thin and if the Egyptians drop infantry over cavalry at their landings we can't do anything about them. Veii being a case point, although even if we could redline them all the fact that the infantry would be defending at 20 means we would lose cossacks killing redlined infantry. We have nowhere near enough infantry to defend our cities (6 i believe, 3 in the army which will cover our stacks as we advance) and cossacks will lose to cavalry. I want to win by conquest, I've never had a conquest win even on SP so I'm keen to get one but... I think we missed the boat, had we attacked before they got infantry this would be nowhere near as problematic. The spacing out of Egypt's resources further complicates matters. I still want the conquest win, if we can get it, but slogging our way through the hills and mountains so that our artillery can slap down the infantry so we can have minimal loss of Cossacks isnt exactly the ideal way to fight a war.
Their landings will be a massive problem for us as long as the war continues, as will the increasing War Weariness. Some cities are at nearly 60% unhappiness because of War Weariness. I feel that we need a peace. Time to regroup our armies on the egyptian continent, get infantry to our outlying cities. However we still need to do all that before we get to flight or tanks. I leave the decision to the team obviously. If we go for peace I'll make peace and finish my turns, if we vote continued war I'll continue the war, what do you guys reckon. Victory is possible without another shot being fire but a domination victory would be a tad anti-climatic, however any victory on this start is sensational.

lurker's comment: The monkey would sign a peace treaty now with Cleo, then get an ROP, place troops for a resource pillage plus bombard/razing frenzy in her core. Sneak attack her and be done with it. Reputation, shmeputation. Who's she gonna complain to? :devil:

Top Bottom