zyxy01: Russian Polar Expedition

I only suggested a final conflict to make it more interesting but that was before I found out that they had infantry. Domination or conquest-either is fine by me. Sign the PT and use the cash for culture rather than clowns.

Like Tone said. If we can make it with culture expansion and settling, then that's fine.

And WW gets awful if you cannot make progression fast enough - that's enough reason to sign peace all by itself.

I'm fine with RoP rape as well (hey, monkeys stick together :) ), but we'll probably want a little troop buildup before that. A proper navy, some defenses on every island, rails, etc. This will probably take a long long time.

Alrite I'll look to get us a bit closer to that dom limit but I'll try and leave the option for conquest open still. Won't be able to finish my turnset until tomorrow though.

Don't worry, take your time. It's slow going by now, I know. :king: :beer:

Turn 5 (cotd.) - Make peace for all 3gp that Egypt has. 1gpt would make it 'never accept' so 3gp it is, plus a WM and two cities, Sebennytus and Bubastis.
They turn out to be 2 hopelessly corrupt cities in the top right/crossing to top left corner but arnt under cultural pressure, of course they have absolutely NOTHING to offer but oh well cant have everything can u?
Rush some libs, rush some settlers. We are at 1314gp and +479gpt at 10.0.0 at this point I dont think techs are at all important. As long as we stay within reaching distance of egypt for important techs. We can always do safe steals to catch up and also make sure the cash doesnt fund their research.

IBT - we get a move or declare demand from egypt. Their dudes r still next to veii so obviously i move. Therir ships move around but dont actually leave our territory.

Turn 6 - We get some culture expansions, switch cossack builds on Persian continent to markets, switch a couple of cossack builds to infantry. Oh yeh n we get We love the Czarina day pretty much everywhere despite running 0% lux slider. Oh yeh n we get Palace Expansion. And so with only one piece remaining I'm faced with the difficult decision of how to finish out palace. In the end I opt for the Aztec step pyramid. Maybe if we sacrifice enough people to the Sun god he'll smile on us and thaw out our homeland :lol:
A look at our reinforcements who have just arrived show we have more than enough offensive power to conquer Egypt. Defensively however... not a chance. Decide to change a lot of cossack builds to infantry. Rush some more libs.

IBT - Egypt founds a city in their own territory. Spoils a city spot I had planned. Will go through with it anyway, possibly flip their city. Egypt starts Universal Suffrage.

Turn 7 - Some builds etc. Found Don't think so Cleo. Disband a slave and then rush a library, rush plenty of libs. Thats about the size of it, lots of moves, almost all our workers finished a task this turn so that took AGES, lots of pointless improvements being down around hopelessly corrupt towns. Dial up Cleo and find that she has no gpt to spare, not even 1gpt for a lux. That means its all tied up in research and shes still in communism.
bah, dull dull turn. Also we need 1800gp for a careful steal. Will try and slog the way there, will be hard with rushign things however. Its 2352 for a safe steal which is a while away yet (3 turns with no rushing)

IBT - Egypt founds New Memphis where I was 1 turn away from droppign a town. Pissed to say the least.

Turn 8 - Couple builds finish, change some builds, MM a little. Found Flip Town with in ultra aggressive cultural placement, hoping to flip an Egypt town. Disband a slave and rush a lib. All the workers were tied up last turn so not too bad. but really zzz turn.

IBT - not much, egyptian ships move around.

Turn 9 - disband a slave and rush a temple in flip town. Found Cheap landgrab zzzzzzz

IBT - nothing, couple of egyptian ship moves. Oh and flip town pushes back egyptian borders (not culture xpansion just more culture htan nearby egypt city).

Turn 10 - Absolute zzzzzzz

Not much to say really, looked like an aggressive adventurous turnset when I took it over but a lack of defences forced my hand. We have a very strong force in egypt, but it needs to keep being reinforced. Defences are needed on our outlying colonies. To be honest I dont think we are too far away from being able to restart the attack on egypt maybe after another turnset or 2 we could go hard, would revolt to monarchy first however. No idea how far domination limit is though.

Good luck to the boss

Zyxy - UP

and of course the save

Attachments

• Zyxy01_1655AD.SAV.zip
    198.3 KB · Views: 97
Turn 0, 1665AD: Mapstat claims we just need 96 more tiles to win. Rush a bunch of settlers and libs. I'm too lazy to do any MM.

Turn 1, 1670AD: 68 tiles to go. Found New Smolensk, New Odessa, New Sevastopol, New Tblisi, New Sverdlovsk, New Yakutsk,

Turn 2, 1675AD: 48 tiles to go. Found New Vladivostok, New Novgorod, New Krasnoyarsk.

Turn 3, 1680AD: 42 to go. Found New Riga, New Rostov, New Astrakhan, New Kharkov.

IT: Egypt starts Shakespeare.

Turn 4, 1685AD: 11 tiles to go. Found New Grozny and New Dnepro. This will probably be enough, if not we still have a few culture expansions and a few more places to settle.

IT: Get a culture expansion here and there, and nothing happens.

Turn 5, 1690AD: Mapstat says we're 5 tiles over the limit. Our population is 414, but Egypt's is 216. So we need a bit more pop.
Found New Maikop and New Kursk, and start adding workers into cities.

Our pop is now up to 484, that should be enough.

After action report:

Our score is 5267, and we will be remembered as Catherine the Magnificent.
The save, just before victory.

Thanks to all for being on this team! I had a lot of fun playing with you :king:.

A big thank you to all of you for allowing me to participate. That has to be one of the worst starts ever attempted in an SG, and you guys were brilliant throughout the entire game. It has been a lot of fun too. I don't think I'll ever forget the radar tower in London. Just last week I laughed out loud about that while I was driving home from work! Since the game is now over, I will shortly go back to my old avatar.

Congratulations on the win ... and once again thanks, I've greatly improved my SP play since we began playing.

See you on the forums, hopefully our SG paths will cross again in the future.

Well done, guys! A great game and a fantastic team.:goodjob:

I think that once we had claimed 'our' island we were going to win if we played well enough but it was always finely balanced. We didn't get everything going our way and that's what made it fun for me.

Give me a call if you lot have another game like this. I'll not have to think twice about joining.

Guys I will not hide the fact that when zyxy rolled up the start I did not believe it could be done, hence me being reluctant to join at the start. But you guys have shown what can be done with patience, boldness (the early war with England differnt and things could have been soo very very different) and a heck of a lot of skill. Congratulations to everyone on a terrific game! Guys it has been an honour, a pleasure and privelage. You're all fair dinkum great players and its been bonza to be part of this!

lurker's comment: Gotta be one of the most amazing come from behind games ever. (I love how Russia actually disappears completely from the historograph at the start.) You guys are awesome! :worship:

Top Bottom