Resource icon

Arab Ancient Age Unit Pack (Lakhmids) 2016-10-05

The Lakhmids were a Christian Arabic vassal kingdom to the Sassanid Persians. All of these units are pretty historically accurate considering the lack of sources from this period.

Spearman
Axeman
Archer
Light Swordsman
Chariot
Camel Archer

These units are clothed as Arabic Bedouin levies in the service of the Lakhmid kingdom and are based off of various sources. They are very generic and could be used for plenty of other stuff, including the Ghassanids, Tanukhids and even Palmyra Bedouin levies. The Axeman, Archer, Light Swordsman and Camel Rider, all wear much more traditional (and generic) fare. The Keffiyeh style headdress is based off of a Osprey image which is in turn based off of a Persian image of Arabs bring tribute to the Sassanids so I think it is fitting for this pro-Sassanid faction. The long hair on the Spearman and Chariot Rider also seems to have been the common style and even some later Umayyad Caliphate art shows caliphs with this long hair style (before the Islamic ban on many non-abstract imagery). Of course, the chariot is just there to complete the vanilla ancient set as by the time of the Lakhmids chariots were obsolete.

Swordsman
Horseman

By contrast the Swordsman and Horseman are supposed to represent the main military of the Lakhmids which were armed from the arsenal of the Sassanids. So the armor betrays a large Persian style and the helmets would not look out of place on a Sassanid cataphract. The Horseman could very well be Persian or part Persian as the Sassanids are said to have sent horseman to help the kingdom annually. All in all, these two units are much better equipped then the levies before them.

Animation directions are in the zip.

Discussion Thread
  • lakhmidpics0_i1D.jpg
    lakhmidpics0_i1D.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 549
  • lakhmidpics1_133.jpg
    lakhmidpics1_133.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 495
Author
Bakuel
Downloads
Views