Resource icon

Giant Earth Concept Map (256x256) 2016-10-05

This is a 256x256 map of the world. It was made to combine a number of gameplay ideas I’ve had throughout the years. I don’t see it as a finished mod, but more of a testing ground for how an earth map can play.

What is most notable about this map is the accuracy: Earth is round, a Civ3 map is not and you can never make an accurate map. However, you can make something that feels accurate, by twisting and distorting some areas (like making Europe bigger) and using accurate terrain.

The features modified terrain, most notably Jungle is now unsettleable Taiga Forest in Russia and Canada to restrict settlement in these areas. I spend a lot of time studying atlases, Google Earth, vegetation and climate maps to get the terrain correct, while also taking gameplay into account. Mountain chains, rivers, etc. are all very carefully placed.

The resource placement is also very accurate. It takes both historical and present day resources into account. Furthermore, American civilizations start with different resources than others, but by trading technology resources will spread around the world as contacts are made.

In general settlement has been restricted, only West European civilizations can load settlers into ships, and mountains and desert cannot be crossed before the Middle Ages, meaning that the game plays more like real life.

The unit stats have been revamped. For example, Archers are now the main early defender instead of spearman, and the flow of units is somewhat different, but it plays very well.

There are 22 civilizations, I did not add more to keep loading times in check.

You are free to use and modify the map as you like. However, I highly advice you to play it first and try and understand the basic concepts. If something seems weird, feel free to ask me why I made it like that.
  • giant_worldprev_znJ.jpg
    giant_worldprev_znJ.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 7,844
Reactions: Nico
Author
Yoda Power
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
4.67 star(s) 3 ratings

More resources from Yoda Power

Latest reviews

Hey Yoda, I just wanted to sum to your circle of fans. This mod is awesome, its the most accurate earth map experience ive ever lived in every civ game. I agree with the other review about a lot of things that are not explained or some other that for some reason dont work, (some units cannot be upgraded, and lack of info at the civlopedia). Ill share this link to the civ community on facebook, hope I can find some people that have skills so they can help you finish this brilliant mod.
OK, first of all I must thank u for a great amount of work u did there. Ive plyed your mode for some time and I can tell u that it is one of the best modes Ive ever plyed. Dont take this as a criticism but it would be even better if some of the game concepts(like divine monarchy) would have eplanation in civilopedia. Thanks again and good job man. Keep up the good work;)
Yoda Power
Yoda Power
Thank you for the nice review. It is not means to be a complete mod, but rater a template for others to build on.
Top Bottom