A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're playing version 1.75C in hotseat and we're currently in turn 838 at snail speed, but just today I realized that civilizations controlled by AI have never changed any civics or converted to any religions. Don't ask me how I didn't spot this earlier. In addition, the info tab in foreign advisor screen seems to be a little bit messed up, dynamic civilization names aren't working and the adopt category disappears from the dialogue screen after I've persuaded AI to adopt one of his civics.

I haven't installed anything other than the basic RAND mod and we're playing most of the settings turned on. I really don't have any idea of what exactly is the problem. I did edit the research percent in CIV4GameSpeedInfo, but I don't see how that could cause this. I guess it's possible that AI is just really slow to change anything. However, that doesn't explain the other bugs I mentioned above.

I would be thankful to anyone who can help. This mod is most fun I've ever had with any Civilization game. It would be a real pity if we couldn't play it anymore.

P.S. I couldn't find my log file. Start Automatically wasn't checked in the BUG Mod Setting so I guess the file doesn't even exist. Or did I miss something?

Attachments

• julmajylli040711.CivBeyondSwordSave
    868.3 KB · Views: 80
We're playing version 1.75C in hotseat and we're currently in turn 838 at snail speed, but just today I realized that civilizations controlled by AI have never changed any civics or converted to any religions. Don't ask me how I didn't spot this earlier. In addition, the info tab in foreign advisor screen seems to be a little bit messed up, dynamic civilization names aren't working and the adopt category disappears from the dialogue screen after I've persuaded AI to adopt one of his civics.

I haven't installed anything other than the basic RAND mod and we're playing most of the settings turned on. I really don't have any idea of what exactly is the problem. I did edit the research percent in CIV4GameSpeedInfo, but I don't see how that could cause this. I guess it's possible that AI is just really slow to change anything. However, that doesn't explain the other bugs I mentioned above.

I would be thankful to anyone who can help. This mod is most fun I've ever had with any Civilization game. It would be a real pity if we couldn't play it anymore.

P.S. I couldn't find my log file. Start Automatically wasn't checked in the BUG Mod Setting so I guess the file doesn't even exist. Or did I miss something?

This could possibly be explained by a long-standing bug I recently fixed in some AI updates, which are not yet in a beta, but likely will make beta 6. However, I am surprised this would prevent civic changes by the AI for an entire game - the bug was more preventing early civic chnages and less so ones that were HUGE improvements. So...no sure, butpossibly fixed in 1.76b6 when it is released (should be soon). Sorry this won't help you much in a 1.75C game though.

Thanks, Koshling. Does anyone have any ideas about how I could try to fix our current save or should I just give up on it?

These are the Bugs I've found so far, some maybe a game feature, and I apologise if I report them. (Like I did with the freedom from slavery, which I now see how it works.) :blush:

1. Hover doesn't give unit strength, it give the movement points, cost in hammers but no strength.

2. Adjust Espionage for walls, Bazar etc, been reported before by myself. State church is just too over powered, I was making 100K + Espionage / turn, at 0% espionage with just walls, etc and running the same religion as target. I bribed out the Capital from underneath them, as well as 3 other cites. Its been said, that the game engine reads a figure at 100K% if it can't read the number set for it. Great idea, needs to be refined more.

3. Bribe a city, the Garrison troops just leave the city if at peace, ok. But in war and bribe city, they just leave, I don't get any garrison troops, and they don't even try to retake that city from me. They just immediately beeline the nearest city of civilization.

4. I was able to spread irrigation, onto to Tundra, WITHOUT canal systems tech, and NO TILE BORDERING the river, city was 1 tile away from it. I.E. River, Tundra tile, city, Tundra tile. Both Tundra tiles could build farms. I'm the Tech leader as well, so NO civ has Canal Systems either.

5. Fixed Borders: This needs some work;

Take a city, burn it down, but retains all the Cultural tiles, out to limit pre destruction. I have Culture, but no city anywhere near it. Doesn't revert to neutral territory.

Take a city, I immediately gain access to 1st cross of culture, even though city is still in anarchy.

Nearest friendly city to previous owner is 15 tiles North, yet it retains the 2nd and 3rd and possibly the 4th ring of Culture. Haven't eliminated that final city as yet, should remove that culture once I do.

forts retain a BFC of 1 in culture as well, even when unmanned, you just man the fort, claim the cultural cross, and leave again. Even when the Civ is destroyed, the forts still retain the BFC of culture.

6. Still received slaves from ex-slavery civilization city taken in war, after I sold off the slave market. Reported previously, still received the 'bonus' slave.

Things that do work fine and grateful for (See I :bowdown: as well as :gripe: )

- Claim tile: Simply brilliant feature, can now gain that tile in next ring of Culture, build improvements, if in 2nd ring, can gain all production bonuses, and once your culture expands and you gain 100% culture, you can move unit way.

-Great commander: I use my 1st Great General for this, as does the AI's. If used against you, it can make taking a city difficult.

-Surround and destroy: it improves the odds immensely. The AI's use this feature as well. Trouble is the AI's won't use garrison troops to break a siege ring. So I can just use 1 or 2 troops to surround a garrisoned city of 6 (max units per tile) or unlimited troops. They won't attack and break my ring of steel, really just a paper ring.

-Max Units per tile: I love this feature, max 6 units per tile (Current choice). Makes defence of your cities harder. Attacking the AI's, you have to use strategy and surround and destroy them. Using a Great commander, they need to be placed in the centre of a 5 pronged surround. I.E. Centre of compass point, groups of units at Centre, West, East, North East and North West, as an example.
Can still have stacks of Doom, its just they need to be thought out. Non military units don't count in totals, neither do Great Commanders.

-Sell building, Control-A: Get rid of those useless buildings I don't want, namely Slave markets, when never running slavery.

Notes of Game Play:

What's to say, just Brilliant.

On Revolutions mod; :think: I've NEVER had a big problem with this mod, I alway's play with Revolutions on. Oh I have the occasional revolution, I've lost 1 city, BRIBED OUT from beneath me by a rebel unit!!!!!! (So good) But I find just running certain civics and religious harmony, they are quickly brought down to ZERO rebellion. Really people, build some Cultural buildings, Monotheism in your empire (I play limited religions, and minor religions fade away) its quite easy.

Civics: Nicely done, limiting city spam in basic civics is great idea, you need to advance you civ's culture and ethics to expand your empire. Haven't fully played them out, so can't really comment fully. Notice that you gain certain penalties for running a civic in opposition to another civs Civics. Nice :goodjob: And it details those penalties I.E. Will gain -1 with Hyana Capic for running Monarchy

Just love this MOD. 4 Gigs or Ram is a must, REALLY people, 4 Gigs of Ram is a must for 32 bit systems, even if all not fully addressed. (Been down that road trying to amend) Ram is so Cheap compared to other hardware fixes to improve system, on a cost benefits analysis its easily the best fix you can get.

If mother board only have 2 Ram Dimms, well for a start, bad motherboard, but buy 2x2 Gig dimms, and throw away those 2x1 Gig Dimms, it hurts yes, but the benefit will quickly soothe away those aches and pains. Certainly helps when running a 128 Meg Graphics card Nvidia FX 5600 XT (need to tweak this up to 512 Meg if I can get a cheap one)

ME: I play Huge maps, marathon speed, Continents and get by fine. Slow on the turns, yes, but that's just video card. High detail, AA set to Umm 0 or 2 I think??

Got to go, get back to another 14 Hr session of play.

Thanks for maintaining this mod, more praise and bugs-irks to come as found.

Me too! ... I don't care if it takes a few weeks to finish a game.

Sorry to bump it, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone had any info on the bug I posted about last page.

Sorry to bump it, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone had any info on the bug I posted about last page.

What kind of units were they? I've read that if units have greater than a 100% withdrawal chance that will happen because they never actually win a battle.

As for the locking up, not sure what to tell you. Closest experiences I've had were a lockup when using the minimap to scroll around the globe and then a CTD when I tried to talk to other civs at random (doesn't seem to matter who). But then again I'm not using 1.75 C, I'm using 1.76 B5.

I saw rev 495 was up so I'm going to try installing that and see if that helps.

Here is a screenshot documenting the problem I posted about earlier. In some instances a unit's strength value doesn't show, for example in the build-menu:

Attachments

• missing.png
    missing.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 73
1. Mine with road in civopedia, say's will get +1 :hammers: ok it does, but paved roads are supposed to add another :hammers:, it doesn't. I had two mines same terrain, one with paved road, one without, both had the same hammers out put. 2 example of this as well, 2 x grassland hills and 2 x plains hills.

2. AI's give over a lump sum of gold as well as gold per turn for needed resource. I even had one time, a TECH given to gain a resource, for only 10 turns, or none if I declare war!!!!! exploitable. Either enforce 10 turn peace treaty, really should be longer, or remove. IMHO

3. Insurance and Canal systems use the same icons.

4. BARTER is GROSSLY over powered for a large Civ. Example, I'm largest civ No 1, top dog, the big cheese (so cheezey). I was at +20 or so gold at Zero % in Coinage, and Patrician. I moved to barter (to remove the 15% inflation) and Vassalage (I was in war and gearing up to produce army). Suddenly I'm at +385 :gold: at Zero %. I could jack science slider all the way up to 85% and still be +11 Gold in the green

So either Coinage is too costly, (or that's the way its intended) but Barter, has no down side, only 100% upside, for a large empire.

Experiencing a lot of Random Crashes to Desktop, I've never struck this before. I've played through to Future era on Huge maps before with 175 No problem. So its defiantly with Beta 5

*Edit* No its not :blush: I was trying to run it at high graphics, etc. My Video card either can't produce these, as I see no difference running low graphics. I just switched to low graphics, low in all other options, eliminated the random crashes, plays faster now as well.

2nd edit, I was running Giant maps as well, can't handle them post 1800 AD. Huge maps is my limit, but they seem SO SMALL NOW!!!!!! wwwhhhaaaaaa!!!!! :cry:

i can confirm this, didnt see the ai convert any religions but the ones he founded, and not much civic conversion as well.

But there is progress in that area. In my recent game many nations started out with Nagualism as state religion but it kind of faded a bit from the world as for example spain founded Christianity and adopted it, others are using other religions as well now.
Civic changes come somewhat slowly but they are there for me, without my interference.

I retook a game after 1 month or so. That game was saved under 1.75c, which is what i'm using.
No way to open the BUG options screen, the game freezes and i must close it with the process manager.

Starting a fresh new game, the BUG options screens works fine and the settings are stored.
For the rest the game plays just fine, it seems.

I'm already in the industrial era, so i would not start a new game from scratch. Suggestions?

i can confirm this, didnt see the ai convert any religions but the ones he founded, and not much civic conversion as well.

Yeah but in our save the AI didn't convert to even those religions it founded itself. That baffles me most. I could kind of understand that the AI is really slow to change it civics and I would be willing to continue our save to see if anything improves, but it's just crazy that the AI doesn't convert to even it's own religions.

julmajylli,

that didnt happen to me - many civics dont allow state religions - maybe the ai mostly chose these civics in your game.
i have changed some f the civics and removed some of the no state religion civics.
but still i barley saw the ai change religions apart from its own.

bump

Tried install the latest patch, no change.

Psyringe
Haha, well, I guess we'll be relying on the compitent minds of Afforess and those who help him develop this marvelous BTW mod. It feels good to have come to an end with the RAM issue one and for all atleast, I think that it is a question that have been hanging in the air for quite some time now.
But I guess that means that's it for my hotseat save for now =(

Kushling
Maybe that can be worth trying then. Can I find that fix somewhere or is it yet to be posted?

I'm uploading my save (the 7z file) as per the instuctions at the begining of this thread. I tried to locate the "A New Dawn.log" to include it too, but that file is nowhere to be found. Where is it supposed to be more precisly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom