Capto Iugulum: Empires and Nations

To: Paris-Burgundy

You source is entirely wrong then, again we are restating we did not fund any Republican revolutions in Denmark, all we did was recognize their government, and promised to protect them. We do not appreciate your throwing around of accusations such as these. Although we support people's right to self determination we dislike bloodshed as much as you, and do not support violet revolutions but rather gradual change as you mentioned previously.

Well, don't do it in future and you need worry about nothing. If you want to maintain that you didn't do it, please do, but just don't do it in the future.

Also we'd like to know which other nations we have "overthrown", I can give that answer, None.

You tried to overthrow the King of Flanders.

Consider this the 72 hour warning to get those orders in.

First of all, the Kingdom of Naples hereby declares war upon the Kingdom of Savoy-Milan for their untoward aggression upon the Italian peninsula, refusal to turn over Sicily to the rightful rule of King Ferdinand, and overall incivility in the courts of Europe.

To everyone else, this is the 40 hour warning

OOC: I'm going to drop out of this for right now. :(

I'll probably hop back in somewhere else after a couple updates, though. :)

To: Europe; other civilized nations

In light of the success of the Austrian loan (as in, they didn't die), Poland will now give out loans to almost any European country, in addition to some other sophisticated nations, such as the USA and New Spain. We reserve the right to loan out to any country we wish. Failure to repay a loan on time (or at all) will most definitely result in no repeat business and incredibly strained relations. We are not unreasonable with regards to repayment, and will loan money on a case-by-case basis.

ooc: Poland is now the Bank of Europe. Such my kielbasa, Switzerland. :p

The following is an excerpt from the Managua Daily, a noted New Spanish newspaper, from 1842, following the end of the Panama War, and the resulting the defeat in the Panama Plebescite

THE MANAGUA DAILY

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE GOVERNMENT AND PEOPLE OF THE ESTADOS UNIDOS DE NUEVA ESPAÑA

We have gone to war. We have seen its face in Panama, and fought the sons of Panama valiantly in order, our leaders say, to force them to accept democracy. Let us not fool ourselves - this was a blatant attempt at a territorial landgrab.

We had hoped that we would be victorious in the war, and use that leverage to win the plebescite and annex Panama. However, we were stymied. The Panamanians crushed us, despite our larger army and superior doctrines. Though we may disparage the New Granadans, their intervention was the only thing that stopped us from being completely defeated. It was only because they invaded and split Panama's army in half that we were able to gain any ground whatsoever.

However, it was also their fault that we lost. By invading, the New Granadans showed that they needed to be independent and stand against their aggressor. It caused a rally-around-the-flag effect - Panamanians gathered around their government and nation in order to fight against both their old enemies - New Granada - and their new ones - us. As a result, Panamanian patriotic feeling was high when they went to the polls, resulting in our defeat. Though, it was always going to be an unsuccessful war - there was no way New Spain would win the plebescite. This was a pointless war that we were dragged into by Rivera to feed his ambitions of territorial gain.

So what now? I suggest that we withdraw from these pointless wars. So far, all our ambitions of territorial gain have been all for naught. Our attempts to purchase the Yucatan from Spain ended in failure, and mild embarassment for us. Now, the Panama war has ended in huge losses of life and money, with absolutely no gain. We must withdraw from expansionism now, before we are dragged into another pointless war, and turn inwards, to development and modernisation. Thus, I credit the current Rivera Scheme, as a way to contribute to development and industrialisation of the United States of New Spain.

However, the only part of our army that experienced any success was the Navy, under my own erstwhile command. Thus, I propose we capitalise on the success and training of our fleet, and expand it. We should commit ourselves to naval expansion and make the mighty New Spanish Navy the envy of the entire Western Hemisphere.

Thus, it is these plans I propose. Withdraw from expansionism and territorial acquisition, and focus on our internal development, but maintain and expand our might fleets. I ask the Government of New Spain to take this plan on board, and the people of New Spain to elect a President who will.

Sincerely,
Admiral Eric Chavez, Admiral of the Navy of the United States of New Spain

This is the final, 24 hour warning for orders.

My orders will definitely be in tomorrow, just a few hours after the deadline.

This would be the 12 hour warning because for some reason I'm awake to give it.

No more order revisions will be accepted beyond this point. I will still accept new orders from:

Agent 89
spryllino
Terrence888
Southern King
crezth

To: Aztec Empire

Your many excesses against the Christian population of your empire have reached levels that are not acceptable nor accepted amongst the good people of the world. As such, it is our duty, as one of the foremost Catholic nations in the world, as well as one of the most affected nations due to the fact that many of those who have been killed by the bloodthirsty priests of Tenochtitlan were Spanish or of Spanish origin. Thus, if we are to help the Christianity within the Aztec Empire, we must act now.

The Empire of Holy Spain declares war on the Aztec Empire

TO: Holy Empire of Spain

Per the Harrison-Branco Pact we have no choice but to warn that if Spanish troops take territory from the Aztec Empire, Brazil will have no other choice than to declare war on Spain. Spanish diplomats have misled the signing members of the pact, and Brazil is deeply hurt by this betrayal.

To: Aztec Empire

For too long the United States has tolerated the inhuman and uncivilized conditions present south of our borders. The the United States has decided that we will declare war and bring about civil, Christian, democratic society to the Aztec people.

To: Spain
CC: The World

Just recently the Spanish Empire requested that a treaty be signed that would bring about diplomatic integrity amongst the nations of the world. Therefore we find it ironic that the same Empire would violate this and go back on their word after telling the United States that they would not invade the Aztec Empire and that the American government could proceed with their invasion plans without fear of conflict with the Spanish Empire. We offered our assurances that we had no aggressive intent toward Spain in our plans to invade the Aztecs, and that there would even be a puppet government, designed with the primarily Catholic nation of Brazil, created after a successful conquest that would act as a buffer state between Spanish holdings and the United States of America. We have acted only with integrity with the Empire of Holy Spain, paying the amount rightfully due to the Spanish par our recent treaty regarding Florida. For Spain to declare war and prepare an invasion after having offered the United State their assurance that the Spanish would not invade the Aztec Empire is deceitful, malicious, and a humiliation of the United States of America, and all nations of the world should take note of this and properly discredit all diplomatic offers from your nation.

As per the Monroe Doctrine and the Harrison-Branco Pact, the United States will not recognize your claim upon the Aztec Empire, and we will resist any Spanish attempt to expand their influence in the Western Hemisphere.

To: The World

Here is the diplomatic message from the Empire of Holy Spain in which the Spanish offered to stand down on their plans of invasion, along with the response of the United States of America. All civilized nations should take note when engaging in negotiations with the Spanish from this point on.

Circuit said:
Milarqui said:
To: United States of America

We had been planning for an invasion of the Aztec Empire after their last crimes against their Catholic population, but we were then pointed out that the Harrison-Branco Treaty compels the United States and Brazil to attack any European nation that attempts to invade any American nation, as well as diplomatically favouring European withdrawal of America.

As such, we are going to abandon our plans to invade the Aztec Empire, but given your plans to invade the Aztec Empire, we would like to ensure that your invasion will not have a follow up in invading our own lands.

We would like to propose you that the United States of America and Spain respect each other's sovereignty, much like the first point of the Harrison-Branco Treaty. This is done mostly for the benefit and calm of our people, who have reasons to fear you may attack any of our American holdings.

Please, answer soon.

To: Empire of Hold Spain
CC: Empire of Brazil

We thank Spain for this message, and are thrilled that we were able to avoid a very uncomfortable situation for both of us. We can assure you that this invasion of the Aztec Empire is not with the intent for positioning the United States to invade any Spanish holdings. The Harrison-Branco Pact compels the United States and Brazil to resist further European expansion in the Western Hemisphere, and to favor European withdrawal, but it does not compel us to actively or rashley force European withdrawal.

We promise that the Catholics in the Aztec Empire will be treated fairly. We invite our Brazilian allies, who are primarily Catholic, to engage in the restructuring, civilizing, and Westernizing of the Aztec nation, along a more civilized and Christian government. As we do not seek to annex the entire Aztec nation, for the reason that a lengthy occupation would be expensive at this time, we will likely form a rump Aztec government, which could serve as a buffer state between the United States and the Spanish Empire. This should also ease your concerns about American aggression.

We hope that this helps to aleviate Spanish concerns, and again, we are very greatful that the Spanish have sought to forgo their plans of invading the Aztec Empire.

OOC: Why do people not declare war before the deadline? People who declare after it are behaving like complete pricks IC and OOC in my opinion, and this sort of behaviour is invariably OOC.

Typically, I do disagree with the method. However, I try to compensate by allowing nations affected to be allowed to respond in a limited manner.

OOC: That will teach me to make stupid deals of this kind. Damn, I knew I should not have sent that message, now it is going to bite me on the ass.

OOC: Mis-step, should have accused Circuit of doctoring the PM.

OOC: Why do people not declare war before the deadline? People who declare after it are behaving like complete pricks IC and OOC in my opinion, and this sort of behaviour is invariably OOC.

OOC: I actually don't see what the problem with this is. Think of it like a surprise attack. Its kind of realistic.

OOC: It's right between an actual surprise attack (Pearl Harbor, although it should have been on Janurary so that they have a year's worth of initiative) and a decorum declaration of war. (World War I). In the first only contingencies are initiated, while in the latter all participants are able to initiate their plans. In declare war after Orders Due, contingencies+some plans (as EQ accepts) would be used, but not to the extent of either surprise attack w/o diplomatic warning or a complete diplomatic announcement.
As I see it. For example, my declaration of war against Burgundy in the War of Orleans was IC supposed to be between a week and a day before my army smashes into his.

Top Bottom