TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

Dear Heinrach,

My son, I write to you from the front lines of our war effort against the Armorican heathens. Though Buertgang's defeat in the battle of the Ruins has affected our forward lines, it has not shaken our resolve; we were brought here to make sure that our brothers and sister of the Faith have safety in the west from druidic folk who would harm them. Our camp is well defended and fortified, a double lined wall of stakes and spears, surrounded by a trench stretching thirty feet from our lines, and thirty feet deep, and our faithful war hounds guard and prowl the lines. Whenever the druids try to sortie against us, they let out a ferocious clamor and alert us to the enemy's movements.

I can't write much about the preparations for the siege of Condate; the Red Prophet and General Kurare have been in their tents planning the attack. All I can say is, it's going to be vicious and bloody. We're going to be marching with our brothers and sisters of the duchies of Danyria, Hamburg, Pommerania, Kentus, Ostava, and the Beurtgang Empire when their troops have been brought forward, but we have heard no word about the ten thousand or so spears that are reportedly going to be leaving Vahlshallah soon... has our king left us to rot and die against the attack on Condate?

I don't believe that. I'm not sure what they are up to, but when it happens, it's going to be vicious and bloody. There's going to be a lot of death and destruction in the west, I can almost assure you that. The Armoricans are advancing in the west against our flank, and trying to press against us to break the Siege of Condate, but they are marching the wrong direction. Dumonos fell because it knew of no outside attack, and was razed to ash and dust. Armorica thinks that it is safe, and that we will all perish beneath their city's walls.

We will see though. Feasting and revelry is going on in the camps right now, and people are eating the teufela leaf and getting ready to go berserk for battle. The leaf that hasn't been seen or used by anyone outside of the Red Faith is spreading throughout our ranks, and preparing us for war... my heart grows heavy as I write these words, but know my son that if I die in this war, in this battle, that I will be a hero of Vahlshallah standing against the Druidic menace.

Vii Shaah Shallah.

The Relief
It was a normal night. At any time, their relief would show, and they would be able to sleep. The winter was hard on the Vahlshallans, and rumors of Ildaris didn't help morale either. A knock sounded on the door. The relief is early tonight. the guard thought tiredly as he opened the door. Vahlshallan soldiers marched in. "We are here to relieve you of your duties in the name of Masgard. You need rest. Go to sleep. We will be moving out in the morning." Captain Volon closed his mouth and looked at his fellow Unsullied. "Soldiers! Let's head out. We have been relieved. Captain Volon waited until the guards had formed up on the ground floor, then he struck. The Vahlshallan's were so surprised that only one was able to get his weapon out and shout before he was killed as well. The Unsullied then donned cleaner uniforms, and put peasant clothes on the guards. They proceeded to drag the true Vahlshallans out of the tower, and leave them beside it. They then reentered the tower, and stood watch.

Then, the real relief came. They burst through the door shouting, and their shouts were silenced when they saw Vahlshallan soldiers inside. "The bloody heretics attacked us!" one of the Unsullied exclaimed. "Look outside the door! We dragged them out of the tower so that they wouldn't stink the place up. Look and see for yourselves." The Vahlshallan captain looked at the bodies, and reentered. "Well Masgard be damned. Soldiers, sheath your blades, let us enter this recently bloodied tower." the captain said in astonishment.

The Vahlshallan soldiers entered the tower, and the door was closed. The cawing of a raven was heard, and the Unsullied slaughtered the relief.

No alert was given, while the army marched up the hill. They would force the Faithful out of their encampment, or the Faithful would die in the shower to come.

The army reached the top, and set themselves into position. The cawing of a raven was heard, and a voice rung out through the valley. "Go to Ildaris, those of the faithful. Escape during this battle. You will not be harmed should you go. Gather at the end of the lake, we will meet you there." and then the first volley of arrows fell into the Vahlshallan encampment.

Amir Neighbors:
To the north are just desert nomads, moving in small groups, going from Oasis to Oasis. They don't have a government, army or economy. Nothing really to conquer either.

To the east are the real enemies: The hordes. These too, are nomads (kind of like steppe nomads) who wander around. They do, however have a government, which is a council of the best warriors. If they are challanged by another person for their spot on the council, it is single combat. They fight by just throwing waves of attackers onto defender lines, and they overwhelm their enemies with sheer numbers. They are dangerous, and a huge threat.

To the south are a sea-faring people known as the Swafa, who live off the water. The area between them and the Amir is a bug-ridden jungle, inhabited only by a sparse few natives. The Swafa have a strong monarchy, but a small population. They cannot support a large amount of people, because they could not feed them with the amount of food they get from the oysters and such. A small bit of trade is conducted between tthe Swafa and the Amir, mostly along the river.

To the west is scattered tribes of people, ripe for conquering. They are much like what the Arin region was like before the Great Unification. There are hundreds of tribes, all divided, and they most likely will not unite against an invasion, due to their fractured nature. The most powerful tribes are on the coast, so they won't take an Amir invasion seriously, thinking it a remote threat. As such, they will let the weak eastern tribes be conquered.

And, Arin can be a vassal. But they are also very loyal, as the unification was centuries ago, so they don't retain much anti-Amir sentiment.

Across the land, a thousand horns echoed their baleful cry. As blood trickles in streams and rivulets from a great, seeping wound, the Bloody Throne had sent out the call through its agents to the clans and to the people that the time had come for war. The eternal, repetitive ritualistic bloodletting of the true gods' true people, their sanguinary disciples who did the good, honest and terrible work of the higher powers on earth, had begun again. Let then, the Emperor and the clanlords and the deputies and all the strong and honored men of the land said, each family yield its sons to the hallowed Cause of Blood. To each man a sword, a spear, a pike, a pitchfork. Thus would the claim of each family, to honor, felicity and prosperity, be defended. So the clanlords sent forth their deputies, who made call at each of the villages and they summoned the people from their homes to the village courts and grounds. Each man would die honorably, each woman would mourn appropriately. And so a great army was raised, among the people who were summoned to serve the clanslords and the Emperor and among the clanslords themselves, who brought for their retinues and servicemen. Every man was prepared to give his life for the cause of the Faith and its servant in their land, the great Sanguinary Emperor who sat upon the Bloody Throne, for his blood was theirs and their blood was his and their blood types were generally similar or something because blood transfusions. Blood!

Spoiler :
Prūsija, Principality of [Fiŕtista Prūsija]/Bair_the_Normal
Color: R:0/G:109/B:110 OR #006D6E
Spoiler :

Background: The constantly warring Prūsiskai peoples have long been irrelevant to the great western empires and faiths of Keltia, preferring to keep to their own internal affairs and concerns. However, the establishment of a Pommeranian state and the discovery of the Prūsiskai by these same Pommeranians led to the spread of the Faith, as well as the establishment of a unified Prūsiskai state, led by a Kunegiks, or Prince, and influenced by both the Pommeranians and the greater and much more powerful Vahlshallans. The newly born Fiŕtista Prūsija, ruled from the Hidden Port city of Skaītanāustin, is looking to both the seas and the land to find their wealth and power.

OOC: I will be gone for the next week, Terrance, so would you like me to still send orders?

The drums were playing. We've come we've came, we've come we've came. Menst grabbed his knives and buckled them to his belt, grabbing his spear and tying the rest of his armor on as the sound of the camp warhorns went up into the air. Outside of the tent, a dashing soldier rushing to alert others was struck in the throat with an arrow, falling to his knees as a sick gurgling sound issued forth.We've come we've came, we've come we've came. Shouts were raised as a flock of Armorican arrows rained out of the sky on the outskirts of the camp. War dogs howled in pain, and from one side of the camp, their baying sounds cried out and were echoing as they were released from their kennels to flow forth into the night like the hellhounds of Masgard. We've come we've came, we've come we've came. The voice of the Red Prophet thundered out of the night as his Red Guard streamed forth out of their tents, in smokey red armor, darting through the shadows as the moon shone above. On the ridge, Armorican archers were illuminated above the camp, and were moving in the darkness; war hounds streaming up the ridge could be heard, as well as screams and shouts in the wretched heathen's tongue.

We've come, we've came, we've come, we've came, to break your wall and steal your lands, your towns, your gold your wives, come to take your homes, your crops, your gold your crowns, your wretched lives. The Vahlshallahn drums beat out the war song as the Red Prophet shouted scripture that echoed forth from his helm. We send the scourge, we send the horde, thus sayeth the Lords. General Kurare slashed out of his tent in full battle regalia and shouted for his horse as he snarled at the ridge. A pack of war hounds let loose from their fetters streaked by him, before arrows rained out of the darkness around Kurare, thudding into the canine forms. All dropped silently to the ground. We cross the fords, we bring our swords, thus saith the Lords. The Red Guard was up on the ridge at this point, as Menst dashed through the camp rousing the sleepers, cutting their way into the ranks and laughing in chilling voices that floated through the air. War hounds, incensed by bloodshed, could be heard snarling and ripping open men up on the ridge, the screams in their language loud and clear. To shed your blood, upon the mud, to turn your glave into your grave.

A double spear wall was forming up, thirty men deep, shields held forward and stacked in an overlapping pattern, to ward off the Armorican arrows showering them. Red Guard soldiers were cutting into the forward line of druids, laughing maniacally from the teufela leaf. One had his lower jaw torn off by a sword, and ripped the blade from the enemy's hands to bury it hilt deep into his throat before whipping out his own spear and driving it into another druid. Arrows sprouted from his face as he turned to fight another. Then, the torrent of Vahlshallahn spears surrounded the Red Guard members attacking the front of the druid spear line, shoving forward with the longer shafts to stab the Armoricans.

From the flanks, smoke red armor glowing in the night was illuminated by the moon before the other detachments of the Red Guard swept out of the night. Like ghosts they strode forth, slender blades in hand, hacking and slashing at the flanks and the rear units of spearmen. Incensed by the bloodshed, they were vicious, demonic men sweeping out of the shadows; one clasped a spearmen by the head and ripped open his face with his sharpened teeth, laughing as the druid screamed and begged for mercy. His cries were silenced when the Red Guard ripped off the rest of his face, his brothers swarming around him towards the line of spears.

And suddenly, the Armoricans broke, the ones in the front pulling back and retreating with their weapons at first, and the others backpedaling as fast as possible to keep up with them. A ragged cheer issued forth from the Vahlshallahn lines as they took cover with the Armorican archers firing as they retreated.

Spoiler NPC Diplo :
Spoiler For Leon :

From the Tarase Confederacy
We wish to negotiate our borders and policies concerning the Ash Lands

From Caligari
If you will recognize and support our rightful rule of all Sardinia, we will give you preferred status in trade and recognize your rule over Sardinia's various former lands, which will help your expansion and confidence.

From Sassari
If you will recognize and support our rightful rule of all Sardinia, we will become your vassals and recognize you as our liege.

From Lamari
We wish to unite all of Kordobans under our banner, by bribery or by force. What must we do to receive your patronage?

Spoiler To Ildaris :

From Corona
We are Druids and you are Faithful, but we support your attempts at ending the endless conflict in Keltia. If you can support us in establishing a government with some money and maybe troops, we will help in the shipping of pilgrims and refugees.

From Oledo
You have ravaged our lands enough. We have come to an agreement to stand up to further violations of our rights to our land.

From Kaditz
We offer lower fares into the Central Sea for trade; what do you offer? If it is cash, we ask at least 3EP this turn.

Spoiler To Katan :

From Varna
This war serves no purpose. You have no desire to divert resources to destroy us, nor we, you. We have reconquered our rightful lands and feel that trade, friendship or even alliance would serve both our interests better than war. We await any reasonable terms you wish to offer.

From Apulian Rebels
FREEDOM AGAINST THE HIGH KING!

From the Hurrian Tribes
Your border cities look tasty and undefended. Pay us 2 EP or we will pay ourselves.

Spoiler To Utica :

From Spartans of Sicily
We remain separate from our rule because of the past; the Zirilists enslaved us from our homelands and held us in bondage; would you do the same? Because if you would, we will fight you with all our might.

Spoiler Dakinsa Raj :

From Daretokimas
HELP!

From Padavi
We will be much better allies than the current weak dynasty and would bring the trade goods of the Bengals into market. Why not support us instead? When their capital falls, so goes the Empire.

From Gujaratis
We are displeased at your continual intrusion into our merchant and religious affairs and wish to warn you that your recruiting officers for your macemen are no longer welcome in Gujarat.

Spoiler Huaiyi :

From Yueh Chiefs
We are feeling gracious. Retreat from all land south of the Yueh River- we will let you keep your miserable colonial capital- and we may have peace.

From Kingdom of Man
We should unite the Man peoples together, under my banner, of course. If we can't be friends, however, we would be forced to truly see you as our enemies.

From Gou Duchy
We are willing to offer technical aid to achieving the miracles of the Bronze Age. All we need to do is to update foundaries and such and such. In exchange, we ask for you to stay out of the war to unify the Man Peoples, or to support our claim; we would also ask you to match however much money we spend to bring you to modernality. (AKA, if it takes us 4EP investment, you spend 4EP on it as well, minimum)

From Corona
We are Druids and you are Faithful, but we support your attempts at ending the endless conflict in Keltia. If you can support us in establishing a government with some money and maybe troops, we will help in the shipping of pilgrims and refugees.

From Oledo
You have ravaged our lands enough. We have come to an agreement to stand up to further violations of our rights to our land.

From Kaditz
We offer lower fares into the Central Sea for trade; what do you offer? If it is cash, we ask at least 3EP this turn.
To: Corona

We are barely becoming a nation ourselves, perhaps when we are more stable we will aid you, as we are already receiving assistance from many other nations in the safety of refugees.

To: Oldeo
You are the one violating a paradise that belongs to the Faithful; Do you really think you will be able to stand up to the hordes of believers on their way?

To: Kaditz
I am not exactly sure what you mean by this. Perhaps my translator is not as proficient in the local dialects as he believes.

From Corona
Sure.

From Oledo
Blah blah blah we can't hear you over the sound of our sharpening blades. Blah blah blah death before slavery.

From Kaditz
Give us three bags full of money and we will let your nation trade through our straits with very low tolls; if rumors that your nation will be rapidly expanding and that Varna is seeking peace with Katan is correct, you would need all the grain you can get until your new refugees establish farms. Also, this would be helpful as any trade crafts they may bring can be brought cheeply to the Central Seas Market. However, we would understand if you would refuse our seemingly extortionist offer, exept of course, the tolls on the straits are quite high, if we should say so ourselves.

tl;dr: We are going to force you to pay either directly or indirectly for trade to the Central Seas, which would provide you with much needed food, trade, and markets.

From Corona
Sure.

From Oledo
Blah blah blah we can't hear you over the sound of our sharpening blades. Blah blah blah death before slavery.

From Kaditz
Give us three bags full of money and we will let your nation trade through our straits with very low tolls; if rumors that your nation will be rapidly expanding and that Varna is seeking peace with Katan is correct, you would need all the grain you can get until your new refugees establish farms. Also, this would be helpful as any trade crafts they may bring can be brought cheeply to the Central Seas Market. However, we would understand if you would refuse our seemingly extortionist offer, exept of course, the tolls on the straits are quite high, if we should say so ourselves.

tl;dr: We are going to force you to pay either directly or indirectly for trade to the Central Seas, which would provide you with much needed food, trade, and markets.

To Oledo
:borg: Prepare to be assimilated.

To Kadiz
That will work, at least until I have coastal control in the Central Seas.

Ooc can I break down and conquer the Levantine league in a single turn? Bets are up! 50 years update to go.

After lurking 150/152 pages it is time I join I think ;)

I would like to take control of the Kingdom of Seoul.
I'm going to read up on it the coming day(s) however some pointers would be nice since there is SO MUCH to read :p

OOC: Xilan is finally coming to life! :D

I'll se what I can find for you, since I was involved heavily with Seoul and Pusan for quite a while playing as Xiyi and Jinyi.

that would be awesome :goodjob:

Pretty much every post involving Seoul:

Update 11
Xiyi made her move, and within a decade has absorbed the two Confucian duchies on her border with little trouble, her high culture and confidence quickly dissolving resistance and her popular reforms calming the peasants. Nontheless, Wei’s southern army survived to reform the Huai kingdom out of scraps which were considered too barbaric for Xiyi rule. In Korea, Zhou exiles helped guide a chief of Seoul to dominate the other coastal villages with strange new ships while far to the south, in Yueh, local powers form.
Several of the more visible (written) resistance to the Xiyi government knew that their time was growing short as one after another of their accomplices became missing, and found their support undercut by tax cuts. Finally, the few score survivors decided to escape to Korea. They stole an Ocean Strider and sailed with considerable skill to the court of Chief Yuman.

There, they allied themselves to the Chief and married into the locals, and eventually started prestigious naval families of some influence. Meanwhile, the Ocean Striders could not be copied by the Korean craftsmen, but those that did gave her fleet an edge over those of her rebellious fishing villages. It took Yuman one campaign to put down such resistance once and for all and give himself the title of King. (+ Seoul, Kingdom of)
Diplo, post-update 11
To Seoul
Xilan lands are now ours, lords of Qoryo... we do not lust for yours. Those of our people who left our lands for yours are guaranteed safety. We do not want Qoryon lands... we do want allies. We would be willing to build two Ocean Striders for you in return for a loose alliance and your sailors' assistance on a further project.
From Seoul
We agree.
To Seoul
Very well. Construction of the ships will begin immediately.
Update 12
Neighboring Xiyi, the Kingdoms of Huai and Seoul carefully court the great Empire. Both of them desire the great economic and technological advances made there, but both also desire to maintain their independence as well. Seoul bought 2 Ocean striders, and managed to establish a colony far to the south for the purpose of selling weapons for Japanese clans. Meanwhile, Huai expanded into Yueh lands, converting local Daoists to Confucianism.
Update 13
In Seoul, the King has built a gigantic park in the middle of the city designed around Daoist principles. With thousands of rock-gardens the followers can tend themselves, and carefully tended trees, it has given this religion a new focus. Every other day one Daoist Sage or another will give poems and speeches in the glades of the Garden of the Sages.

In addition, they expanded their trade to Japan, especially arms shipments. However, another Korean power is growing closer to the trade than Seoul, if less reliable. The Confederacy of Pusan unite to send massive fleets across the straits, in hopes that some make it to trade. The colonization of the Strait Islands has greatly increased the income of these once-fishing villages, and their trade rivals that of Seoul (Seoul+Trade; +Pusan Confederacy)
Story involving Seoul
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11542855&postcount=2186
Update 14
And too, they expanded into Korea. At Seoul chest after chest was offered to the King to allow more open borders until he reluctantly accepted. Two large trading towns owned expressly by the Jinyi were established on the peninsula, attracting ill-will from both Seoul and Pusan for cutting into their profits while increasing those of Jinyi herself. Both states invested much to try to maintain their trade and their unique culture even as Jinyi settlers poured into the peninsula. (+3 trade)
Diplo, post-update 14
To: Huai, Seoul, Pusan, Dahai

The lun cheshou, the wheel riders, once more encroach on Jinyi borders. We have word that they threaten all of the Xilan, for they ride under a Khagan and a single banner. The northern tribes have united. All the nations of the long coasts must put aside their differences if we are to repel those who threaten our civilisation. Will you stand beside Jinyi?

From Seoul
We will send some aid.

From Japan to Seoul: Care for an alliance and a trade agreement? We need some troops.
From Seoul
We're willing to sell more weapons if you can reopen a port into the Yellow Sea.
Japan: That is okay, if you embargo my enemies.

Jinyi: We call Dahai and Seoul to arms against the Lun Cheshou. We will stand together and our spears will break their horses.
Dahai shall respond with arms.
Seoul shall send 2EP worth of weapons.
Update 14.5
The Horde of the Wolf focused on unifying the Lun Cheshou while raiding for more fertile land against Jinyi. Forces from as far afield as Dahai and Seoul defended as hordlings tried in vain to cross their canal defenses. So far the are successful, but news comes that the Lun Cheshou are now truly unified, and with the seams of the enemies defenses now known, they will surely attack with renewed force in their quest for a more fertile homeland. (-1 Silent Guard -1 Archer)
Update 15
Seoul lost the regiment of Archers they sent to Jinyi, and the news that the Chinese Empire didn’t pay or feed their troops made them decide, for now, to close future agreements from that nation. Both Seoul and Pusan begun expanding into the mountainous region between them, to the dismay of the locals.
Update 16
In Korea, both Seoul and Pusan became wealthy from Xila and Yamato refugees while funding wars in both lands. The conflict over the internal bronze mines lead to the rise of the Silla Kingdom as one tribe conquered the others and established a monopoly on the rich copper mines of the interior. The three states quickly begin feuding over trade and borders, but not yet outright war.

Top Bottom